Will there be new Canada or Mexico calling plans thanks to the Share Data Plan?
szfq93

I recently signed up for Verizon service (back in March, 2012) and go the 700 minute family plan (2 smart phones with data and one "feature" phone).  One of the reasons I chose Verizon over AT&T was because Verizon had coverage in a portion of Canada that I visit and had a Canada Calling Plan to cover that area.  My goal was to switch to that plan for the month of my trip so that I could make/receive calls while in Canada.  Now, however, because of the new share plans, I would not be able to switch BACK to my preferred family plan (which gives me the upgraded 4GB per smart phone instead of 2GB).  So, I have a great plan now, but if I switch to the Canada plan for 2 measly weeks (or the full month), I can never switch back without having to choose the new share plans (which won't be as good a deal for me).

Hence, I don't plan to switch to the Canada calling plan.  So, is there ANY other kind of add-on service that I can use on my existing family plan that will let me make/receive calls for a reasonable rate in Canada?  For example, Sprint has a $.2.99 add-on that let's you make/receive calls in Canada for $0.09/minute.   Without any kind of add-on, the per-minute rate is $0.69 and I think that's just airtime, it wouldn't include the long-distance cost of calling a Canadian phone# (I can work around that by using Google voice, but still...not as nice).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will there be new Canada or Mexico calling plans thanks to the Share Data Plan?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The individual voice plans including the Canada and Mexico plans will still be available.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Will there be new Canada or Mexico calling plans thanks to the Share Data Plan?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The individual voice plans including the Canada and Mexico plans will still be available.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
szfq93

Thanks for your response. The plans are still there, but I don't want to switch to them because then I can't switch back to my current plan (700 share minutes for 3 phones plus 4GB or data for each phone).  The equivalent service under the new plans would be far more expensive.  So, I'd really prefer to keep my current plan and use some kind of long-distance rate plan while in Canada.  This was one of the main reasons why I chose Verizon over Sprint (the town I'm visiting only has CDMA coverage, no GSM, so T-mobile and AT&T are out).

0 Likes
teken023
Enthusiast - Level 1

The plans will be the same.