WiFi International Calling
JONANT36
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have activated WiFi calling from my iPhone. I was told by a VZ wireless service rep that as long as I was on WiFi, I would be able to make international calls free of charge. To ensure that I was not being picked up by a cell tower, I turned my phone to airplane mode before making the phone calls. Much to my surprise I was still charged for the international calls. I called VZ Wireless and had the charges removed, but to me this is completely absurd that I would even be charged at all. I was then explained to me by VZ Wireless rep that I only wouldn't get charged if I made WiFi calls to a US number located in the United States. If I am calling over WiFi, while my phone is in airplane mode, there is absolutely no difference if I call back to the states or if I am placing the call in a foreign country. In fact there would be less reliance on Verizon if I was in a foreign placing WiFi calls locally because I wouldn’t be accessing a VZ cell tower. How as a company do you feel it is fair to charge for any call over WiFi, when Verizon is providing nothing to facilitate that call? Do you have to pay the WiFi provider that was accessed to place that call? I doubt it….

This is my first post / question using this forum. When looking for other questions relating to the same topic, I came across one posted by a VZ wireless service representative on 28 March 2017 at 2:41 pm stating that WiFi calling would be free of any charges.  Please explain?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
Re: WiFi International Calling
Steve-in-Nville
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a bill for over $600 while in Italy and in airplane mode.  I spoke to a rep at Verizon and they said they would call me back and haven't heard from them 9 days later!

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

This is a great question and I hope we get a real answer to this.

Maybe others that have made these call on wifi will come on this thread

and tell us if they have been charged for these calls.I know this was one of the

reason we had to wait for this option on our phones because of the revenue they

would lose.How was the quality of the calls you were making? Steve-in-Nville when you

called Italy was the connection clear enough so you could hear each other.

I don't see how they could charge for this when the phone is in airplane mode with

the network shut off.

0 Likes
ROBHOU26

I have been down this road....  Think of WIFI calling as a WIFI connection back to the cell towers in the US.  If you place a call to a US number, then the call is just like being in the US. However, even if you are in France, and connect back to the cell towers in the US, and place a call to a French phone number, the international rates would apply, just as if you made the call from the US to France.  WIFI call is awesome for calling back to a US number, as the WIFI is a path to their US network.  If you are in a foreign country and use WIFI calling even to a number local to your location, if sees it a an international call.

Hope this is helpful.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Steve-in-Nville,

I can definitely understand your frustration regarding this matter and we want to help get you some answers right away. I have sent you a direct message on this issue. Please reply for assistance.

CandiceH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
C_SANKAR

Hi Candice,

I need some answers to this question as well, would you be able to help, or, point me towards someone who can help? This is ridiculous.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

C_sankar, we are here to help. Do you have difficulties with your Wi-Fi calling as well?

LauraL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
BENSTL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow. I have the exact same problem.

I have a bill for over $100 for international minutes although my phone was on airline mode. I called my family in the US only via WiFi calling using a strong WiFi service where I stayed. I even bought a local phne service to avoid the usage of Verizon overseas. Guess what,  it didn’t matter.  I spoke to a rep at Verizon and they said they would call me back. I am still waiting. I had T-Mobile for years and I travelled extensively overseas and I never had this problem. If not resolved , I’ll switch back

LIFELINE0919
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a bill over $6,000 for international calls that were made over WiFi while on a cruise ship.  I've spent over three hours on calls with Verizon for them to basically tell me there's nothing that can be done.  I have the receipt showing the purchase of wifi on the cruise, and can provide the wifi network name from the device wifi settings.  I'm furious about this right now. Total charges were originally up to $7,000.00. This is unconscionable. As a single mother of four, I am appalled that Verizon first told me the device should have been on travel pass.  Then told me the device was on travel pass but only on land, calls were made on the ship.  I looked into it on my end and the entire time spent on the ship, wifi was connected and wifi calling was turned on.

massachusetts123
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm so sorry this has happened...  and to all of you.  

I will be traveling to France this weekend and I have spent weeks trying to get answers. Verizon (by phone, "chat" feature, or website, or the Global phone # and any of their various phone #'s)  has been impossible to get answers from.  One rep signed me up for Travel Pass without knowing it. Just found out.   And you have to wait 45 minutes on Wait for a Rep.  And get disconnected!  Oh, they close up at 9pm, sometimes 8pm.

It's impossible to get answers about the settings/setup for iphone  once in France, or how to enable and disable Travel Pass, or to use Wifi or WhatsApp.

It's now Sept. 2019... still no clear answers.   Awful and rude service.

Sorry for all of you.  I understand.

Massachusetts

0 Likes