WiFi Calling on iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 9.3
NJ_Analyst
Contributor - Level 1

I updated my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 9.3 and I have enabled WiFi calling with HD voice.  My home screen intermittently shows WiFi next to VZW and the WiFi indicator when I am on my home WiFi.  Does this mean that I am using WiFi calling when the Wi-Fi indicator is present?  I usually have 3 or 4 bars of Verizon signal at home and I was wondering if WiFi calling is triggered by more than just my signal strength, e.g., VZ network load?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: WiFi Calling on iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 9.3
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NJ_Analyst,

With every new software release, devices get cool features. With the new release of wifi calling, it makes calls even clearer. When the wifi indicator is present and wifi calling turned on, your device will use the wifi to send and receive calls. Here is a support page to ensure your device is setup properly: http://apple.co/1RzUQYY

KatrinaN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Weth
Legend

What I notice happening is the wifi calling is overall cellular preferred. There is a corner of my house where signal is marginal. If I do not go to this corner, my phone stays with cellular and the Verizon at the top. If I go to this corner, which happens to be my home office desk, the signal switches to wifi calling and shows VZW wifi at the top. However, it doesn't switch back when I go to better reception areas of the house, only when I drop the wifi signal when leaving. So it seems to hold the source as long as it can. If I don't go to that corner, it doesn't happen, so I do not see any evidence of load balancing. Overall, I like it.

studerje1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The other day I ran across something that said if the Verizon signal is stronger than the Wi-Fi, the phone will choose cellular instead of Wi-Fi calling. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the article today.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's correct.

0 Likes
Tim773

Is there any way to force Wi-Fi calling?  For some reason, depending on what Wi-Fi network I am on, the VZW Wi-Fi icon shows up.  At home, icon shows, up.  At work, no.  At second house, no.  At a close by business, yes.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Some networks, especially in large companies, are blocking the ports needed for wifi calling to work. There is no way around this other than working with the company to make changes in the their firewall to allow the connections. There is another thread that discusses what ports and ip addresses are required. Info from Verizon is minimal to none.

0 Likes