Re: Why would Verizon start charging an upgrade fee?
budone
Legend

Just to add, a for profit company is their to serve their stockholders.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

lewisr13 wrote:

cjayosburn wrote:

I do not work for a greedy company, I work for a non-profit whose mission is to serve our community. 

Is that the local, state or federal government you work for?

jk

That would be MORE greedy than any for profit company.

0 Likes
cjayosburn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, not that it is really important, I do not work for any government agency, nor does my group accept money from the government.

0 Likes
cjayosburn
Enthusiast - Level 3

and more heartless.

0 Likes
melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

to re-coop cost for all the 700 dollar phones they are selling for 200... now 230$

0 Likes
melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

if you want the rebate instantly order the phone online...

0 Likes
HawaiiBKC
Contributor - Level 1

If you don't agree with an upgrade fee, then I'm guessing StraightTalk or any other prepaid service would be amazing for you.

NickB explained it in on of the most detailed ways possible without coming off as being anything near "borderline rude", although this may just be my own opinion.

0 Likes
Not applicable

cjayosburn wrote:

If you're not going to read the whole post, why bother to respond at all.  We have gotten a bit off topic here, so bottom line is this:  I do not agree with the upgrade fee, nor do I agree with VZW's explanation of the fee.  I would have never even gotten onto this thread, though, if I had not found the comments of NickB to be a bit condescending and borderline rude.  I feel that there were many other ways the VZW could have collected an additional $30 per line that would have had a lot of us complaining less.

While I disagree with your assertion that VZW pays full retail for an Iphone, that would just be my opinion as i have never read any of the contracts between Apple and VZW.  Of course, the price of an IPhone matters little to me, I prefer Android.

Just for the record, I only disagreed with the fee. I never said I would ditch my carrier because of it.  I have every right to disagree with the fee and to comment on it.

A) I did not read the whole thing but it was too long and full of stuff not germane to the conversation. Yes I can glance at the paragraphs and tell that. If you have a point to make make it.

B) If you have proof Verizon pay less than full price for the Iphone I suggest you share it. Otherwise it's just another opinion.

C) Sure you can disagree with the fee and complain about it here. Doesn't change the fact that complaining to fellow customers will do NOTHING about getting Verizon to remove the fee. Doesn't change the fact that you are still getting a substantial discount. And complaining about "only" getting a 62% discount reeks of "entitlement attitude" to me.

0 Likes
Not applicable

cjayosburn wrote:

You are right, in two years this fee will be a given, and few of us will expect any reward for our continued loyalty.

I really get sick of the "loyalty" thing being thrown around. You do NOT stay out of loyalty. If you do that's weird and not too smart. If Verizon provides you with the best service at a price you find reasonable then you are not staying out of loyalty. You are staying because you are getting the best service at a reasonable price. Now if you are getting subpar service at a non-reasonable price and you stay even though you have other options that IS being loyal. It's also being very stupid too. Why would one do that?

0 Likes
cjayosburn
Enthusiast - Level 3

A.  As the price of a Big Mac was so very germane to the conversation.

B.  As you can clearly read in the portion of my comment you quoted, it was, in fact, an opinion.  It is very, very rare for any company to purchase items for resale at the full retail price.  I would say that nearly all items purchased for resale in nearly all retailers are purchased wholesale.  Yes, before you comment, I am allowing for some very minor margin of error in my opinion.  I would also assert that your comment about each IPhone costing VZW $650 is, in fact, your opinion.

C.  When I responded to this thread, I was not so much complaining as airing my concerns and disagreement with the fee in question.  It is obvious that this forum is monitored by VZW as moderators have removed content (I am still not sure how I violated the T&C, though) and NickB, a Verizon Wireless CSR responded.  While you contend that we are getting a substantial discount on the equipment provided for upgrade, I disagree.  I firmly believe that we are paying for that phone every month when we pay our bill, and with this upgrade fee, we are paying even more for it.  We, as consumers, should not have to worry about the cost of doing business with VZW (a concept alluded to by another poster on this site, if not this thread, then another on the same topic). 

In another post on this thread you comment on my concern about being treated poorly and not a loyal customer while in this one you gripe about my "entitlement attitude."  Let me tell you what that phrase means where I live.  When people here in the south use the phrase "entitlement attitude," it is usually part of a racist comment about someone at the welfare office.  I hear it from many of the white middle class citizens of my southern city, I hear it in my Church, I hear it around the lunch table; but I only hear it from white people speaking about Black people and Latinos.  When I read it from you on this site about those of us who dislike this new fee, I take it to mean that you think we are a bunch of worthless moochers.

Message was edited by: Jay Osburn Rewrote part of the last paragraph as not to be out of compliance with the ToS.  My apologies to the moderator.

0 Likes