Re: Why would Verizon start charging an upgrade fee?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/09/q2-2013-earnings.html

941,000 retail postpaid net additions, up 6% year over year.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

heartagrams wrote:

i would like to know where exactly your getting your "facts" they aren't adding more customers than they are losing.

Whether being reported in the news or in print outlets, it is NOT hard to find out how many people are joining/leaving Verizon, a quick web search has come up with a couple of sources.

Verizon investor relations

Business Insider

Wall Street Journal

Not applicable

well first off he provided proof of your non factual claim of $300.

There may be a crap phone on T-Mobile for $300 but your statements as a whole is and are totally incorrect.

I am also a T-Mobile customer and I posted exactly what I paid for the phone and the service plan I selected and pay for.

The other poster showed you the T-Mobile web site. And told you how to access it.

Again you are making ludicrous statements and no one is or should believe any statement from you.

Again if your research is like your skill at the forums then you prove my point. You answered my post as from another.

0 Likes
mactrip

Took my 93 year old father in to   get a new phone today. He's had the same one for about 8 years(finally   conked out)...never had an upgrade. All he needs is the most basic  phone(Not an expensive Iphone etc) for emergencies. He knew he had to  sign a 2 year contract, he actually  called it his lifetime contract,  but we were both floored when he was  charged the upgrade fee. I called  Verizon customer service and was told  "it's not an upgrade fee, it's a  transfer fee!" The in store transfer  took less than one minute. That's  $30 for one minute. I was then told  there was nothing they could do at  this time and to call back at the end  of his billing cycle. Are you  freaking kidding me? My family has 6  phones/contracts with Verizon...We  are not impressed.

Bad Form Verizon, Bad Form!

Oh, and he has 14 days to cancel, but will be charged a $30 restocking fee.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You lost me.

A basic phone with no data are cheap. If you had paid full price or did pay full price the contract is zero. If you go back and return the basic phone he can pay the $35 restocking fee, do not wait past 14 days for any reason. Verizon is trying to string you out past the buyers 14 window. You could always get a cdma version phone (basic and no data) from any other place and just swap out your ESN/MEID number from your new phone to replace the old. You can do this from the http://www.verizonwireless.com website

Good Luck.

Or purchase one of those cheap all you can eat prepaid plans or check out http://www.consumercellular.com or go to any Sears stores and cgeck them out. Get out of that contract right now.

0 Likes
PearlRose86

It really bothers me too, because I don't even want a smart phone. I just would like a regular phone, and the $30 "upgrade" fee is not really an upgrade, nor is it going to give me services that I'll actually use. I just feel cheated and scammed -- especially since I have a single phone account, which you pay through the nose for anyway.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also choose to purchase a new phone at full retail price.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

For a single phone line with a basic phone on it, you may want to look at the offerings in pre-paid plans. You may end up paying a LOT less.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PearlRose86, sorry to bother you with this. But yes, there is a one time upgrade fee of $30.00. It allows us to continue to provide you with a high level of support from the time you upgrade throughout the life of the device. Additionally, the fee covers the costs associated with the device upgrade, including transferring contacts and data, offering wireless workshops, online device tutorials and support information. Everything to help you understand and use your new device easily. 

Your monthly bill sounds expensive for you. Let's see if a calling plan change will minimize your bill, http://bit.ly/xdDajD

Lasina_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mactrip

Update: Just returned from the Verizon store and the manager, Mike was very helpful. I canceled my dad's contract, and the manager waived the restocking fee. I got my dad a Tracfone for $20, and a 60 minutes card. He will now only pay $7 dollars a month instead of $30 a month.

Again, I have to thank Mike for his assistance. He was willing to help my dad out in order to keep him as a customer, but Dad just wanted out.

0 Likes