Re: Why would Verizon start charging an upgrade fee?
Not applicable

No dual working phones are few and far and in between. Even though a device on Verizon has GSM abilities it does not work on GSM in the United States. It is workable depending on device in other countries not here. Read up on before preaching it makes an argument more convincing when you actually research it.

The industrial revolts are a thing of the past. The only way to win against Verizon Wireless and others is to be given real choices in services, phones, plans and competitive costs. Today while they are providing the most serviceable areas and they charge what they wish. In the future who knows.

People bring attention to companies via their spending or lack of it. When the customer base stops putting up with price increases and phony data charges and false returns etc. Then Verizon will have to listen or go out of business.

Think!

0 Likes
raler
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>>The only way to win against Verizon Wireless and others is TO BE GIVEN real choices in services, phones, plans and competitive costs.

Read what you wrote.

You're going to WAIT until a wireless provider GIVES you what you want?  You'll be dust before that happens.

Revolutions happen every day, everywhere in the world, and they're only limited by the individuals who think something can't be done.

This is the internet.  It's a very small, very connected world.

It allows you to pretend you've got it all going on and nobody can prove otherwise.  That's power.

You "wait to be given" and I'll go "do something" about it.

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

<< Quoted text removed to comply with >>

I believe there is hope in a market for dual band, all major provider compatible phones.  The fact that this indiegogo Ubantu phone has broken all records in getting investors is VERY encouraging.  If there are abundant and lower cost phones like these on the market, it will break the stranglehold of these 2-year contracts.  This IS the problem.  Get a carrier portable device will do to wireless what hotmail did to ISP's in the day!  When ISPs couldn't hold your email hostage, well, you get the picture.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Debbiepaker

I recently dropped my very cheap samsung alias 2 in a swimming pool 12 days before my upgrade was due so I went to the verizon store to get a new phone as I need it for work and could not wait 12 days....I thought they would be understanding and helpful and maybe waive the 12 days for a customer of over 10 years...I was wrong I ended up paying $250 for a Revere 2 flip phone..not internet no I-phone just a basic flip phone...the joke around my office now is how I got ripped off....unfortunately I am stuck in a contract or I would leave verizon immediately!!!!!

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

Debbiepaker wrote:

I recently dropped my very cheap samsung alias 2 in a swimming pool 12 days before my upgrade was due so I went to the verizon store to get a new phone as I need it for work and could not wait 12 days....I thought they would be understanding and helpful and maybe waive the 12 days for a customer of over 10 years...I was wrong I ended up paying $250 for a Revere 2 flip phone..not internet no I-phone just a basic flip phone...the joke around my office now is how I got ripped off....unfortunately I am stuck in a contract or I would leave verizon immediately!!!!!

I suppose you could have paid the ETF, hopefully less than $250, and gone elsewhere the same day!

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Kailas wrote:

Debbiepaker wrote:

I suppose you could have paid the ETF, hopefully less than $250, and gone elsewhere the same day!

That's very similar to the case I use for my Bionic.

And I don't own a gun.  If I did, I'd probably shoot my foot!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Paul, on cnet this morning the phone did not get no where near the investors mark. they say the money they did collect was impressive but they are refunding the money back.

The major players don't want people to have that freedom of choice. It was a good idea maybe in a few more years it will happen.

0 Likes
nuts_n_beer

If you can't subsidize the phone to $200 without the upgrade fee of $30, then you should just advertise the phone as $230 - which is the true cost. Doing anything other than that is absolutely an underhanded tactic.

Saying other companies are doing it is not an acceptable excuse.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Not sure why it would matter. There would be just as many complaints with THAT method as with the current method, except they would be worded differently.

Instead of "why are you charging an upgrade fee of $30?" you would get "why are your discounted phones $30 more expensive than the same phones on other providers?"

It is a no win situation, so in the opinion of Verizon it appears they think keeping the advertised price of phones on par with other providers with an upgrade fee which is SMALLER than the other providers is the best of the worst available options.

Obviously you disagree, but I am sure there would be just as many people unhappy with the option you have put forth.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

nuts_n_beer wrote:

If you can't subsidize the phone to $200 without the upgrade fee of $30, then you should just advertise the phone as $230 - which is the true cost. Doing anything other than that is absolutely an underhanded tactic.

Saying other companies are doing it is not an acceptable excuse.

Well, you have to look at the telecom industry as a whole.  If you look at the itemized fees that you are charged on your bill you will see many that at first look like a "tax".  They aren't.  Anything that says "fee" after it, is just their way of padding the bill.  If you see "Federal Line Fee", or "Federal Access Fee", don't confuse them for taxes.  They are just ways that they add profits to their bottom line.  Same with airlines with the "baggage" fees.  Same when you purchase something online and you pay shipping and "handling".  What is "handling" exactly?  How is it separate from "shipping"?  It's just a way of being able to offer an initial price that might be lower than the competition or at least the same.  Then they pad the profits elsewhere, disguised as something else.  It's a scam, for sure, but it is still legal.  Thank your government that has sold out to big business for all that!

0 Likes