Re: Why is there no more Unlimited Data??
Har02052
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right, you sort of proved my point. People with unlimited HAVE to pay full upfront. So the contract price isn't an option with them. SO unless they use a ton of data. An off contract plan with plenty of data may be cheaper.

I agree that with your scenario the math may work. But as you stated, it is just a little cheaper over the 2 years, only $100. That's assuming you are on a lower plan. If you put in a higher plan into your math for your situation of staying on contract, then it costs $500 more to stay on contract. I realize that you don't need that much data. That's fine. And if you only use a tiny amount, and you are on a lower plan, the math barely works for you. If you went over the data even a couple of times though, the math doesn't work. Also like I said, I buy ALL of my phones off craigslist or ebay. I easily save $200-$300 per phone.

I am not trying to argue at all. Most of my point is that everyone really needs to look at the math of their account. Rather than holding on for dear life to their unlimited plans off contract, you need to do the math from what you actually use. It might be cheaper to do the new plans off contract.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It's interesting how you like to use the words "barely works" when all that means is that it DOES work. With a $130 savings for being "on contract" vs "off contract" I can go over on data more than a "couple of times". 130/15 = 8.7. I can go over 8 times out of 24 months and it would still "barely" work for me. Seeing I have gone over 0 times in the last 21 months of my current contract, that is quite a few times to be going over, though. After all, "barely" paying less is STILL paying less and "barely" paying more is STILL paying more.Smiley Happy

Hey I'm all for going with the plan which best suits one's needs, and I plan to determine which will better suit my needs.Smiley Happy

Har02052
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly. People need to figure out what works for them. If barely works, then it works. A lot of times though, people just don't look at the numbers. They just assume that signing a contract must be saving them money. It works for some. It doesn't work for others.

Weth
Legend

You would be surprised how many people can't or won't do the math and go by "gut" feeling and then complain about getting ripped off.

Not applicable

so true. But you can read it here everyday

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Har02052 wrote:

....  There are all of these people that are holding onto the old plans for dear life thinking that they are getting a better deal. I would argue that many people would actually save money by switching to the new plans.  SuzyQ, you especially would save money and you could get more data and have all your phones be smartphones (if you wanted, I am guessing you might have kids on your account that you don't want them to have smartphones yet)....

I am not "holding onto the old plan for dear life" - I've done the math, and in our current situation, it is (as mrhelper pointed out) $20 less per month to stay with what we have now.

You said I could save money, get more data, and have all smartphones ... the point I was making is that I AM on the best plan for my situation NOW.  It may change...I said we haven't moved to the More Everything YET.  Right now we don't need more data, and we don't need all smartphones.

Oh, and your guess that I have kids on the account that I don't want to have smartphones??  Guess again!!  The smartphones are for me, and my two daughters (23, 28).  The basic phones belong to hubby (who has a work smartphone and he's perfectly content with his flip phone for personal use) and my 80 yr old Mom, who uses less than 10 minutes a month and sends maybe 10 text messages, and who could not deal with a smartphone.  I don't see us adding more smartphones anytime soon.  My line's contract is up in March, and if the $10 or $25 discount for month 2 month is still in effect, I'll re-evaluate.

I'm not hanging on for dear life - I'll change plans if it makes sense.  Right now, it wouldn't save me any money, and my unlimited data was gone awhile ago, the two girls never had unlimited data, and we are all fine with the 2GB plan per line.

Each family needs to figure out what works for them. 

Har02052
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that you needed to change your plan. I wasn't necessarily. I was trying to say exactly as you did. Everyone needs to actually look at their plan. Rather than just assuming that their old plan is the best for them. They need to look at the cost of their plan and see if the new plans aren't cheaper. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. For me it works that I save a ton to have my phones off contract and use the new plans. I am guessing that there are people that are holding onto their unlimited plans thinking that they get more data and that the plans is cheaper when in fact they could be saving money on the new plans.

Again, people need to run the numbers and actually figure out their situation.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree with that!!  Once our lines go off contract, mine March, another in August ... we can re-evaluate.  I've bought contract phones in the past because of the upfront savings, and I've had no issues with being in contract.  We'll see what the benefits are to being OFF contract when that time comes.

If nothing else, this discussion MAY get more people to look at what they are paying for and what they are getting, and what the options are.

0 Likes
whyflyguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mclovin0812: Dont listen to mrhelper...he's bitter that he doesn't have unlimited and thinks all people with unlimited data should switch to the more nothing plans. Verizon got rid of unlimited data so they can add millions to their billions.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I personally find it funny how there's a two page thread debating the costs of all of the limited data plans. Verizon DOES still sell Unlimited data. The catch is, you must register as a business with a certain number of people, and have an account rep handy and ask them for the "Good" business package that isn't advertised. The more hilarious part is, the unlimited data is only $35/line. Don't believe me? It's out there on the Internet, and all of this info is public. This package still exists. I've used this method just recently.

Let that soak in for just a little bit. Then tell me where the problem is.

If Unlimited data is fully killed off now that Verizon's plans to de-prioritize the unlimited data plans are shelved, then what everyone should do should be one of the two: 1: Soak it up and ditch the smartphone or 2: Go to T-Mobile or Sprint's unlimited packages, and use Wi-Fi calling where needed. Don't keep giving Verizon money for garbage and proceed to post on forums.

0 Likes