Why is that when I changed my plan to a family plan, it pushed my device upgrade back another full year?
Jake-V

In November of last year, I added my mother to my plan and it changed us to a family plan. Judging by from when I bought my device, I should have an upgrade this March, but since we changed the plan, my device upgrade was pushed back until March 2015? Why is this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is that when I changed my plan to a family plan, it pushed my device upgrade back another full year?
Not applicable

Add another lien shouldn't change you upgrade date. When did you get last upgrade your phone.

0 Likes
Re: Why is that when I changed my plan to a family plan, it pushed my device upgrade back another full year?
Jake-V

I got my upgrade on 3/18/2013. From past experience, I usually go about a year or a little over a year for another upgrade.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Verizon used to have the option for an annual upgrade by paying a bit more than the discounted price for phones. That has not been available for about 3 years now, I believe.

Verizon used to allow you to upgrade after 20 months when signing a new 2 yr contract. This was changed for contracts signed on or after January 1, 2012.

If your upgrade date is currently March 2015, that means you last upgraded in March of 2013, around 11 months ago. If that sounds correct then your current upgrade date is correct.

0 Likes
Jake-V

The strange thing is that before I added the second line, I was given an early upgrade eligibility for early to mid 2014, but when the plan changed to add another line, so did the upgrade date. I think that's my biggest concern.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I'm not sure when Verizon discontinued early upgrades at 20 months, but I believe that it may have been in April of 2013. Regardless, if you upgraded at a discount in March of 2013, the EARLIEST your upgrade eligibility date could have been would be November of 2014, NOT early to mid 2014. I can't see ANY way that you would possibly have had an upgrade eligibility date of early to mid 2014. Additionally, when Verizon discontinued early upgrades, it happened all at once so any contracts signed on or after January 1, 2012 were automatically switched to the end of the 2yr contract which was signed. As I said before, this switch was made in April 2013, I believe, so your eligibility date would have been changed at that time, not when you added a new line.

Is it possible that you had mistaken early to mid 2014 when it was originally November of 2014 for your original upgrade date and that was switched to March of 2015 when early upgrades were discontinued in April of 2014? That seems to be a more likely scenario.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Jake-V wrote:

I got my upgrade on 3/18/2013. From past experience, I usually go about a year or a little over a year for another upgrade.

Upgrades are 2 years not one. So your upgrade date is correct.

0 Likes
Jake-V

I understand that. All I'm saying is that I've always been able to get an early upgrade, and before the line was added, I was on par for an early upgrade.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

There are no early upgrades as there were in the past.

You have to complete the full 2 years.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/04/verizon-wireless-upgrade-statement.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.