Re: Why is my cell tower signal strength so weak now?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TA79, we never want to hear about how serviced has downgraded. Allow us to work towards a resolution. Over time there are things that can actually change in your area that can impact signal that we regrettably are not able to control. Have we been able to investigate this through a network ticket? When you are indoors & have trouble, we suggest using Wi-Fi for calls, texts & data. Have you been able to use that? AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
TA79
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Alicia,

Thank you for your response. I have not requested a network ticket as I figured the forum may be the best place to start since others may be experiencing the same issue. Would you be able to open a network ticket? 

I understand what you are saying that "overtime there are things that change in my area that can impact signal strength that Verizon cannot control" , but this was not overtime, it was a distinct and instantaneous downgrade in service. 

As far as using Wi-Fi for calls indoors that may help mitigate the issue, however as I noted the signal is weak around my residence as well. My indoor Wi-Fi may not be able to compensate for calls/texts if I am outside but near my residence. That and using Wi-Fi calling does not explain the sudden decrease in Verizon service.

So as a short term fix I can utilize Wi-Fi. However if the signal strength at my home cannot be returned to it's previous performance and the new downgraded signal is to be the norm moving forward, I will need to look at different providers. Doesn't make sense to pay the same price if the service will be drastically reduced moving forward. Thank you. 

JFinTN
Enthusiast - Level 3

OmarC,

I thought you were ecstatic to work with me,  yet you’ve not responded for days. What gives?

TA79
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Alicia, 

Can you advise if there is an update to this reported issue? Last night while at home I had either 1 bar or No Service.  Thank you. 

0 Likes
JFinTN
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spoke to Verizon customer service the other day. The bottom line is that the infrastructure is old and out of date, and not keeping pace with the increased population in many areas, mine included. The general assumption amongst bloggers and people on various boards is that Verizon is no longer willing to invest in updating or expanding what they consider to be legacy service, ie 3g/4g/LTE. I guess our choice is wait it out for 5g or switch carriers.

0 Likes
amycramer
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are paying for service from Verizon, using another wifi company is not the answer. Especially if my wifi  is Verizon. 

0 Likes
amycramer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks to me like almost 25,000 people have lost their coverage that previously worked just fine. It is because they are so worried about their new 5G that they are no longer servicing the other towers. It is a shame that the carrier who was once the hope of the rural population has decided that we no longer matter. Time for a class action suit people!

JFinTN
Enthusiast - Level 3

AmyCramer,

I am interested in exploring our options as well. 

amycramer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am on the unlimited plan and am having same problems. Don't let them tell you it will help, it won't just cost you more.

0 Likes
JFinTN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Amy,

I have unlimited on post and prepaid plans at my house. They both connect to the same, antiquated tower. My issue is not one of running out of data or being throttling down, it’s too much traffic on one tower and Verizon is unwilling to address it.