Re: Why is my cell tower signal strength so weak now?
Kelly34
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have had Verizon for over a decade and have always had great service no matter where we traveled.  We have seen our service decline as everyone else has commented over the last 4 months.  No service, 3G and LTE most of the time and I am speaking of outdoors not indoor.  These are the same locations that we have previously had good service so there is definitely something wrong.  I really don't see Verizon offereing much hope that there is a solution in the works, so may have to consider changing  providers.

Kelly

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kelly34, we expect our customers to get nothing but world-class service from our network. I'm sorry to learn that this has not been the case for you. We'd be sad to see you leave the Nation's largest network for something different. How far would you need to travel before you can pick up better service? Are you stating that your service is fluctuating between no service, 3G, and LTE? May I have your nearest intersection and City so I can accurately pinpoint your location? KevinR_VZW

DA_WA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Us too.  We're in 99349, and have had excellent Verizon cell service for many years - then today it changed over to an "extended network" - even if we go outside.  We both work from home and were dropping calls all day, and couldn't receive incoming calls.  We'll have to change pretty fast - we have to have working phones to do our jobs.  Looking at a cell phone tower maps in our area it looks like some have changed over to AT&T?  It used to be in our area the only carrier was Verizon; maybe they are losing some of their towers?  I can't figure it out.  The other bummer is we never set-up wifi calling on our phones - never needed to.  When we tried to do it today we couldn't - you apparently have to have cellular coverage to set-up wifi calling, which is ridiculous - why else would I be setting it up except for dropped coverage?  so frustrating.

ss30
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem.   I have lived in the same house and had Verizon for 18 years.  Now within the last year I have dropped calls all the time.   I called several times and was told I live in an area with optimal signal.   If you check their coverage map, it says I have excellent 4G service at my address. Seems as though this "optimal" service should be reflected on their coverage map for new customers.  They offered no solution except to change carriers.   Why not offer a signal booster at a reasonable cost as a solution to this problem that they obviously know exists.   They will not offer any real solutions.  

Tags (1)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to do everything we can to ensure you get the assistance that is needed! Reliable service is a must. Is this happening everywhere, or only inside home? What is your state and ZIP Code so I can look out for any confirmed outages? We're eager to hear back from you. MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
Broken-Sparrow

This has happened to me a few times. I’d say more than five times in the past 3 years. This is what I did. I got the free app open signal. So when I lost cell signal or when my WiFi strength went down, I looked at the open signal data and checked the Verizon cell towers  around me. Then I called Verizon technical support. I had to put up with the drill of resetting network in my phone and powering down. This felt  tedious especially when I had been doing this for the third time after the third call. But eventually technical support figured it out and got my signal. It seemed like they can realign their broadcast remotely to optimize my reception. The only time when I had to wait a few more hours was during a storm when the tower had to be fixed. Otherwise, I kept calm and let technical support handle the matter. Verizon has not let me down and I have been with Verizon for 11 years straight.

0 Likes
Avengersxtplus
Enthusiast - Level 2

5g will not penetrate homes and buildings as well as 4g period. 5g will have to have twice or three times the towers/beams/repeaters to give the same coverage as 4g when it was performing well. And that's only outdoor coverage with 5g. As it still will not penetrate buildings unless there's and indoor repeater or you run own your WiFi to operate wifi wifi calling and data over WiFi. 

The problem is in fact Verizon is not maintaining, improving and expanding 4g coverage due to rises in population and demand to meet loyal customer needs. This is happening all over the country. ( Read the chats , blogs and posts by customers and cell tower engineers not bound to Verizon's  excuses & false replies. )

Bottom line is that Verizon is spending 18 billion on 5g expansion and that's this year. But it will take two to three years to catch up to the coverages 4g use to provide before the 4g service started fading. And still it ( 5g ) will not penetrate buildings or homes as 4g does or did before the 4g service got overloaded with demand. The other big three of the four providers are expanding the towers/beams/repeaters for 4g and 5g simultaneously while Verizon is only concerned with 5g expansion. And while the 4g service with Verizon continues to fade they bank on disatisfied customers and new customers purchasing the new 5g devices just to get the false hope of receiving better service. ( Which if that is possible it would be two to three years out and still not able to penetrate buildings without the help of wifi and signal extenders.  Not a good marketing strategy Verizon. It's evident when many have had 3 and 4 bar signals for years and then over the last year or two it has dropped to 2 and 1 bar signal bars ( sometimes no service ) in the same locations outdoors. It makes one wonder if Verizon is intentionally turning the 4g signal outputs down on their towers to push the 5g fad. 

Recently I have been testing a free 30 day portable test drive device with T-Mobile. Free Device, 30 days or 30 GB of data. ( Whichever comes first ) T-Mobiles tower is further away yet I get better and more consistent call reception and blazing fast 4g data speeds. Explain that one. 

Also your former CEO that recently retired was for the customers needs and providing optimal Verizon service. 

The new CEO is said to only be concerned with 5g expansion and no expansion or improvement on 4G service for existing loyal customers. 

Rest assured the other companies are improving service and their prices for services and equipment are more affordable & not over the top as Verizon is. 

People don't mind paying a bit more for better service. But your service has gradually become less than optimal . Rather is has become poor to fair including customer service. Trouble tickets and hours on the phone with tech support no longer have any effect on correcting poor service. 

Have a great day. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you have the signal is working the way it should. Let's make sure we get to the bottom of this for you. Can you tell me what services are being impacted ( calls, text or data)? What are your two nearest cross streets and zip code?ChetonJ_VZW

0 Likes
Doreen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are all of Verizon customer service reps trained to tell Verizon customers that you want to help?  Show the customers Verizon cares? 

How about reporting back to upper management and let them know about all Verizon customer complaints !!

Every complaint is the same problem!! All over the United States!!

FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!

Do not reply to this comment unless you’re going to tell me VERIZON IS GOING TO FIX THERE TOWERS!!!

Avengersxtplus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Many trouble tickets have been done in the past months. I was sent a message from Verizon on one of the tickets by text that said I am no longer in an optimal coverage area. Yet I was in a good coverage area for almost 6 years. Yet I've never changed locations, I've been at the same location all along now . I know it won't help. I own 5 acres of land and anywhere I go outside. On my porch/deck out in the open land , the road , the pecan orchard. It just doesn't improve. Whereas in the past years it was 3 to 4 bars and decent data speeds. This is not just an individual phone or area issue. I got my wife a new Verizon device 3 months ago and it's the same reception issues with her phone. Having to have a different providers device to run 2 Verizon devices using the other providers device WiFi connection is not really feasable. We shouldn't have to do this to make the Verizon devices perform in the manner they should. Do you have a signal booster that provides an enhanced signal with an external antenna. ( Not dependent on wifi ) I use to have one years ago for my vehicle that was provided to me free by Alltel before the merge or buyout. ( Verizon & AT&T buyout of Alltel ) You could use them in your home also with a 12 volt power adapter. Used one of these long ago when 4g first came out and I was on the road alot for work in areas with sporadic coverage due to the tower confusion and choas of Alltel selling part of it's service to Verizon and keeping the other part of it's service ( Alltel ) until a few years later when it sold the remainder of it's service to AT&T. 

Not that it will help but my cross streets are as follows. 

Allison Lane & Robbin's Road . 30458 ( Statesboro , Georgia )