Why are loyal customers charged upgrade fee?
mishy1973
Enthusiast - Level 1

i Recently purchased 3 phones at best buy. There was no charge for upgrade. When I called Verizon to activate I was not informed of upgrade fee either. I get my $370.00 bill with 3 $40 upgrade fees! Loyal customers being with verizon for several years should not have upgrade fees, especially without their knowledge. you get to keep me for 2 more years but I'm not feeling the "loyal" treatment. so I upgrade, lose my "loyalty" discount and get upgrade fees. Seems like poor customer service/appreciation to me )-:

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why are loyal customers charged upgrade fee?
mama23dogs
Legend

ALL customers pay the upgrade fee if they use the 2 year subsidy plan.  The same is true for other carriers.  This has been a standard fee for over 5 years.

IT can be avoided by purchasing with Edge or at full retail price.

ALL customers are required to pay for their phone.  If you use the 2 year subsidy plan you pay for the phone with the loss of discount and down payment at time of purchase.

customers using Edge or to purchase, keep the discount but pay installments, typically they break even.

customers who pay full retail keep the discount.

All other carriers have some version of this plan and charges.  Verizon is not different or excessive.

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

ALL customers pay the upgrade fee if they use the 2 year subsidy plan.  The same is true for other carriers.  This has been a standard fee for over 5 years.

IT can be avoided by purchasing with Edge or at full retail price.

ALL customers are required to pay for their phone.  If you use the 2 year subsidy plan you pay for the phone with the loss of discount and down payment at time of purchase.

customers using Edge or to purchase, keep the discount but pay installments, typically they break even.

customers who pay full retail keep the discount.

All other carriers have some version of this plan and charges.  Verizon is not different or excessive.

rcschnoor
Legend

mishy1973 wrote:

i Recently purchased 3 phones at best buy. There was no charge for upgrade. When I called Verizon to activate I was not informed of upgrade fee either. I get my $370.00 bill with 3 $40 upgrade fees! Loyal customers being with verizon for several years should not have upgrade fees, especially without their knowledge. you get to keep me for 2 more years but I'm not feeling the "loyal" treatment. so I upgrade, lose my "loyalty" discount and get upgrade fees. Seems like poor customer service/appreciation to me )-:

What "loyalty discount" were you receiving? I have never heard of that. I have heard of "loyalty plans" but not discounts. If you purchase a new discounted phone I am not aware if you are forced off a loyalty plan since I have never been on one but I suppose it is a possibility.

Could you mean the "month to month" discount? This is not a "loyalty discount". A brand new customer is eligible for this discount if they simply purchase a phone at full retail cost. This is a discount for not being under contract, not because of loyalty.