Why am I getting notifications saying my cloud storage is almost full?
GHFrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a Verizon customer for many years--more than 10--and there have always been intriguing backup issues. This most recent has me baffled.

I have two phones, a Casio G'zone Commando and a Motorola Ultra.  I had Backup Assistant on the Casio for a long time, then recently you replaced that service with Cloud. That was fine with me because I ran out of storage long ago on BA.  Then you upgraded Cloud to 5G, which made me even happier.  This weekend I finally figured out how to get to it online.  Joy!

But here's the thing.  Both phones are enabled for Cloud, and both keep getting messages that I'm at 80% capacity on my Cloud account and so the backups stall. As a result, when my Ultra broke a week or so ago and I went through multiple replacements, I lost all of my contacts and SMS for the time between around August and now.  None of it was backed up.

Now, here's an even more intriguing thing.  When I go online to my Cloud account, it shows that I have only used 499 MB of the 5G allotment--10%.  There shouldn't be any problems with backups, yet I continue to get the 80% warning and the stalled backups.

So, what's up with that?  I'm not planning on upgrading my storage when I can't even access the storage I've already got.  I checked both phones yesterday and made sure they were both running the latest version of Cloud, and both backups stalled out again last night.  Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: About the Cloud...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello GHFrider!

I'm not giving up! When searching for the messaging logs on your account. Have you chosen the correct mobile number? When logging in to My Verizon, does it tell you that you are the Account Holder? You do have to be listed as the Account Holder in order to see the usage for any line but your own. Please keep us posted, thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, a couple of questions to clarify things...  you say you have two phones, are they both accessing the same phone number (you swap between the two) or are they two separate lines of service?

If they are two separate lines, each line needs to have it's own MyVerizon login, password, account, and storage.

When you pull up the Cloud app on your phone, and you go to Settings, what does it show?  How much is used and how much remains?  Does it in fact show 5G of of available space?  (See attached screenshot from my phone) 

GHFrider
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hi!  SuzyQ, I have two separate numbers on one plan.  The phones show that I've used 80% and the backup stalls.  The site shows I have 5G storage and 499MB used and says that's 10%.  Ironically, one phone just did an auto upload of photos to the cloud and showed the 10% usage. It feels as if the phones are leading behind the web records.
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you  trying to backup everything at once?  Try selecting only photos, or only contacts - one at a time until you find out what part of the backup is glitching?  I typically do my contacts, messages and call logs only, photos, videos, documents, etc are backed up to my Google Drive.  But that's me....

0 Likes
GHFrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

No.  Actually, one phone I use primarily as just a phone.  All i back up is contacts and call and SMS logs.  Every great once in a while I take a photo, but I generally don't do that with that phone.  I use PIcasa Tool to upload any important pics or vids I might have to take. That one is the older of the two and used to be covered by Backup Assistant where I used up all my space in a matter of days because I could not stop BA from uploading every guided tour video over and over.  I'd delete them from the site, and the next upload they'd be back again. That phone is now on the Cloud as of the latest update and still out of space despite the 5G limit.  The other phone is my everything phone.  I no longer bother backing up photos. Those upload directly to Dropbox and Facebook now. I am most interested in call logs, SMS logs, and contacts on that phone too, though I like having my config and other basics backed up as well.

Note that I've been doing auto backups since forever, so I'm never backing up the entire phone in one shot regardless.

So no, I don't back up both phones at once or all the data on either phone.  There just seems to be a disconnect between what my phone reports and what the site reports, and it's HUGE!  LOL  I've found workarounds as I just noted for photos, vids, and documents on the rare occasion I have any using apps like Dropbox and Fb, but I'm disturbed that this problem cost me some very important contacts and the call and SMS logs for several months without my realizing they hadn't been backed up.  It was only a week or so ago that I started getting the "stalled" memo on the second phone, but the backups apparently stopped months ago. 

0 Likes
GHFrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

PS:  Come to think of it, I started getting stalled backups about the time I upgraded to KitKat.  I was part of the beta test, and when that phone broke, KitKat was already released to the public and there was already an update for it.  That's only on the second (Motorola) phone.  The older (Casio) does only the basics with the old OS that was available when I got the phone in 2011.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GHFrider,

We want to make sure all your information is properly backed up! Have you cleared the cache and data on the Cloud service? http://vz.to/1jE1ed8 Let us know if this helps.

LindseyT_VZW

0 Likes
GHFrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, LindseyT.

I have AVG Cleaner on both phones and automatically dump the cache at least twice a week that way.  In addition, because the memory on the Casio is so small that I'm constantly getting the "low memory" warning, I manually clear the cache on every app at least as often as the automatic cleaning.  The new phone has only been in use for a week, so I've barely had a chance to crud it up with data, but it's been cleaned at least once during that time. 

Here's my screen shot from the Cloud:

Capture2.PNG

You can see there's ample space, but the backups continue to stall and ask for me to upgrade my storage. 

Any other suggestions? 

Thanks,

Joanne

0 Likes
GHFrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

PS:  I just checked the Ultra and see that the last full successful backup was May 2, 2013, which is why I lost all my recent contacts and call and SMS logs.  My more recent backups include stuff from the past week since I got the new phone. That's a really big gap.  I'm attempting a full sync as I type.  This will take a while.....  LOL

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update GHFrider. Thanks for letting us know that recently the device has been updated to the latest software. One thing I would suggest to see is when you log into your account online, are you able to view all your contacts and pictures? Are they showing up successfully now after the incident you had before? If you can also attempt to power the device off and remove the SIM card for 5-10 minutes, then power back on to have our network re-establish a more recent connection to your device. Be sure to temporarily disable the verizon cloud and clear the data to see if that will help. Thanks for your patience GHFrider and keep us posted.

-PeterV_VZW

0 Likes