Why Does Verizon Lie
VANDER_DEL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would love to know why Verizon and all the carriers lie when it comes to data limits.

They advertise the plan as UNLIMITED but apparently are either to stupid to know what the term means or they are simply dishonest and lie on purpose.

The word “unlimited” means without limits and yet Verizon limits my bandwidth and slows me down until the service is unusable.

I do mean UNUSABLE! When I get a ping time 403 milliseconds and a down speed of less than 1 meg and an upload speed of 2.48 meg. that is limiting my speed and usage which is NOT unlimited as they claim and makes the service unusable.

Labels (1)
Re: Why Does Verizon Lie
deloused
Master - Level 3

When using the term 'Unlimited' in this case the carriers are referring to the plan not limiting the amount of data transmitted, like how other plans can limit the amount of data transmitted to a particular amount of GB/MB used in a bill cycle.

That's why they're called Unlimited Data plans, and not Unlimited Speed or Unlimited Bandwidth plans. There are also limitations as to where services can be used as they're not available everywhere, so they also couldn't call it an 'Unlimited' Places plan.

But there's actually no such thing as Unlimited speed or bandwidth, those are finite and affected by many factors. It would be kind of silly to assume something like that would be offered when it doesn't even exist

boringusername
Master - Level 1

VANDER.DEL wrote:

I would love to know why Verizon and all the carriers lie when it comes to data limits.

They advertise the plan as UNLIMITED but apparently are either to stupid to know what the term means or they are simply dishonest and lie on purpose.

The word “unlimited” means without limits and yet Verizon limits my bandwidth and slows me down until the service is unusable.

I do mean UNUSABLE! When I get a ping time 403 milliseconds and a down speed of less than 1 meg and an upload speed of 2.48 meg. that is limiting my speed and usage which is NOT unlimited as they claim and makes the service unusable.

They are not lying. The terms are laid out clearly. Also no where does it say you get unlimited SPEED.

Go unlimited- can be deprioritized at ANY time there is congestion

Beyond unlimited - can be deprioritized at ANY time there is congestion AFTER 22 GB

Go unlimited hotspot/tethering 600 kbps MAX speed

Beyond unlimited hotspot/tethering 600 kbps MAX speed AFTER 15 GB

As I said both these are spelled out on the plan page and in the FAQ.

Here's the thing no carrier can offer unlimited data with out any kind of bandwidth management. If a carrier offered unlimited data with unlimited hotspot no throttling or deprioritzation of any kind then that network would come crashing to a halt. Perhaps you'd offer verizon go back to tiered data plans. then in your mind they'd be "honest" of course you'd be paying the same for LESS but you get "honesty" right?

0 Likes
PainterlyMe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe saying it’s a lie is not exactly true but they are MISLEADING!  What Verizon should do is go back to their original deal offered in 2003/2004 where people were offered plans with “real” UNLIMITED DATA with speeds up to par.  Of course that didn’t last too long before the corporate giant awoke with GREED!!!

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

In 2004 the fastest wireless downloa speeds available peaked at 100-130 KBPS, which is 10 times slower than the current speed the OP in this post is complaining about. I’m pretty sure you’re the only one who wants Verizon to go back to that, but if you prefer slower speeds maybe consider dial up internet instead.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

PainterlyMe wrote:

What Verizon should do is go back to their original deal offered in 2003/2004 where people were offered plans with “real” UNLIMITED DATA with speeds up to par! Of course that didn’t last too long before the corporate giant awoke with GREED!

A) they had no such deal in 2003/2004

B) Before 2011 there wasn't much videos streaming and it wasn't in HD. People didn't use that much data

C) Not about greed. i'm not sure why so many people still don't get you can not have everyone using hundreds of GB per month. Or even 10%. The network can not handle it. When they brought back unlimited data last February the didn't limit hotpsot or video streams and the network went down the toilet. And that was with a 22 GB deprioritzation limit. And now you want to go back to that and eve get rid of that limit and you expect the network to be ok? Even after limiting hotspot and video it's till not back to where it was before.

i wish you'd get you dream and Verizon would give 100% unlimited for 1 month because that is all it would take for you people to finally get it. Maybe when you can't even connect because your neighbors all ditched cable internet an started to use verizon for their ISP and all are trying to steam Netflix in 1080p you'll think "man that was stupid idea"

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Unlimited means you can use up to the 22GB of high speed data and after that you can continue to use data at slower speeds without pay overage fees.

Remember overage fees? That was when you had a limit of say 10GB per month and once you hit that 10, every 1GB used would cost $15. Then there was Safety Mode that gave you 10GB and then you would get slowed but wouldn't get overages. THAT is essentially the Unlimited. You HAVE to read what you are signing up for and not just assume.

I really wish they would go back to the tiered plans and then you just pay for what you use. If you want to use a 100GB per month, fine! However, you will pay a hefty price for that.

Mobile phones and mobile data are luxuries. They are not rights. You DON'T have to have a cell phone. You choose to. If you don't want to pay the going rate you can get rid of it and save your money. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vander.Del, assistance is here as we always want to ensure we provide you with honest and accurate information regarding your account and plan. It is concerning to hear that you feel we told a lie. From the first day of release, all FAQ's for this plan was listed on our website as we always want to set our customers up for success when using their devices. Please be sure to review the FAQ's as we always want to ensure we are on the same page. http://spr.ly/6587D3kiz

NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

sprmankalel wrote:

Unlimited means you can use up to the 22GB of high speed data and after that you can continue to use data at slower speeds without pay overage fees.

Remember overage fees? That was when you had a limit of say 10GB per month and once you hit that 10, every 1GB used would cost $15. Then there was Safety Mode that gave you 10GB and then you would get slowed but wouldn't get overages. THAT is essentially the Unlimited. You HAVE to read what you are signing up for and not just assume.

I really wish they would go back to the tiered plans and then you just pay for what you use. If you want to use a 100GB per month, fine! However, you will pay a hefty price for that.

Mobile phones and mobile data are luxuries. They are not rights. You DON'T have to have a cell phone. You choose to. If you don't want to pay the going rate you can get rid of it and save your money.

Well they still do have tired plans. The problem with the old tiered plans is they were unnecessarily expensive. $360 for 100 GB just for data? 4 lines would be $440 and for $200 on Unlimited you can get 4 lines with 22 GB each before deprioritization which is 88 GB is you want to look at it that way. Also safety mode was way too slow at 128 kbps. Up the data limits and increase safety mode and maybe tired data would be worth it.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You have to sacrifice something. You want access to the faster speeds, you have to pay a premium for it. Wasn't it YOUR post that explained about network limitations? If you want to pay a lower price you get a lower service. If you want to have access to a ridiculous amount of data then you pay a ridiculous premium for it.

The reason the high plans were so expensive was to discourage that amount of usage to keep the resources available for everyone. If you wanted to pay $360 for 100GB then you had the choice but I am sure that people chose lower limits and stayed within the limits.

0 Likes