Why Am I Being Told My Phone Is Defective?
Fade44

If this is the "new" Verizon, we don't need it.  Owing to a recent and unannounced degredation of coverage in our home area, my wife's almost new S5 phone was dropping calls.  A visit to the nearby Verizon Corporate office resulted in her being told her phone was defective.

Owing to a recent and unannounced degradation of coverage in our home area, my wife's almost new S5 phone was dropping calls.  A visit to the nearby Verizon Corporate office resulted in her being told her phone was defective.  The phone was not, of course defective.  They none the less sold her a new S7 phone at the list price.  First mistake was to trust Verizon's diagnosis.  Second mistake was to get the phone at Verizon (vice Costco, etc.). Although we've been with Verizon for over 25 years, this may come to an end as their service area no longer supports our needs. They may have a great coverage footprint, overall, but it worthless to us.  I guess the questions are:  Why no service degradation notice and why they lied to us about the phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Am I Being Told My Phone Is Defective?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You are not guaranteed connectivity INSIDE of any structure. While the materials that your house is built from did not change, something between your house and the nearest tower did. That is not VZW's fault unless there is truly something wrong with the tower.

Most new phones are capable of WiFi calling. You should enable Advanced Calling on the device and the enable WiFi calling.

You would be hard pressed to find a carrier that will say you will get connectivity inside your home.

Also, remember that mobile phone are a luxury and not an entitlement. You should probably get a land line and use that for service inside your home.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your many years of loyal service to us Fade44. I so sorry to learn of the experience your wife had with her new phone and visiting a Verizon Wireless store. Let's get to the bottom of your service concerns because we certainly would not want to lose you. When did you start experiencing service issues? So that we can take a closer look at the area, can you please provide us with the zip code of troubled location?

Thank you,

MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mflandshark
Contributor - Level 3

TBH if her new phone is still dropping calls and its still not working for you I would look for something that better suits your needs. I don't think I've ever heard of Verizon sending out notices of service degradation before, I mean why would they? Its an open invitation for customers to jump ship

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You are not guaranteed connectivity INSIDE of any structure. While the materials that your house is built from did not change, something between your house and the nearest tower did. That is not VZW's fault unless there is truly something wrong with the tower.

Most new phones are capable of WiFi calling. You should enable Advanced Calling on the device and the enable WiFi calling.

You would be hard pressed to find a carrier that will say you will get connectivity inside your home.

Also, remember that mobile phone are a luxury and not an entitlement. You should probably get a land line and use that for service inside your home.

0 Likes
Fade44

The ZIP is 21770.  The issue applies to this area, not my residence, solely.  Prior to 2016, signal levels were such that calls could be reliably made.  Signal levels have dropped from about -90dBm to -95dBm to at times less than -115dBm.  I don't know what the MDS of these new phones is but the signal loss is in excess of 20dB. I fully appreciate that Verizon guarantees nothing.  It is the noteworthy change that is of issue.  That, and the primary issue that a phone was needlessly replaced.  Finally, yes, we do now connect to the internet via wi-fi, but, then again,so does our Vonage service.  Finally, I would not have stayed with Verizon all these years if I thought the service was poor.  Quite the contrary.  That said, this time someone "erred".

0 Likes
Fade44

Actually, I was told that recent development in the area precipitated a reorientation of antennas at two sites.  Any other jewels of wisdom?

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I have already given you 2 solutions.

1. Enable WiFi calling

2. Get a landline.

Here's a third!

Get a network extender.

Maybe a fourth.....don't be so rude to people who are offering solutions. The community is lees likely to be kind to you.

0 Likes