Where's my data going?
LOVE_NURSING10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seriously, where is all my data going? My wife and I are on wifi 80% of the data and there's NO WAY we are going through 10GB of data in a month on the other 20% of the time that we are not on wifi. We have "background app refresh" and several other options to limit the amount of data usage. Even still, the GB seems to be flying out the window no matter what we do. We never seemed to use anywhere near this much data when we were with Sprint, and our habits have not really changed all that much.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Where's my data going?
rcschnoor
Legend

LOVE.NURSING10 wrote:

We received only the 10% warning the other day. We were both on wifi all day at the house and then boom, a couple hours later it says we went over our plan. How did we use up 1GB in a few hours while on wifi??

Stephen [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

What phone do you have. If it is an iPhone, Apple has included a setting on their iPhones called wifi assist where the phone may choose to help your wifi signal by using cellular data. Make sure this setting is turned off if you don't want to use cellular data when connected to wifi.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you looked at the independent data counters included in your phones? You need to figure which applications are using the data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
LOVE_NURSING10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will look at those statistics, but should that matter if I'm on wifi so much of the time?

Stephen

[Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it will matter because the phone records the cellular and WiFi data separately.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
guardo83
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar issue, I somehow I'm continuing to use data even though connected to WiFi. So after getting the 75% warning yesterday with two weeks to go I my billing period, I turned my data off, now my visual voicemail won't work even though I'm still connected to WiFi. It will be interesting to see how much data I may have accrued even though my data service is turned off on my phone.

0 Likes
LOVE_NURSING10
Enthusiast - Level 2

We received only the 10% warning the other day. We were both on wifi all day at the house and then boom, a couple hours later it says we went over our plan. How did we use up 1GB in a few hours while on wifi??

Stephen [Removed]

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

LOVE.NURSING10 wrote:

Stephen [Removed]

What phone do you have. If it is an iPhone, Apple has included a setting on their iPhones called wifi assist where the phone may choose to help your wifi signal by using cellular data. Make sure this setting is turned off if you don't want to use cellular data when connected to wifi.

LOVE_NURSING10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an iPhone 6 and my wife has the 7, and we both have wifi assist

turned off.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 9:45 AM, rcschnoor <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes