Where is the loyalty?
peapod311

I have been a loyal customer with Verizon since 2001. I remember Verizon barely being a blip on the cellular map, with dealership mainly surviving through their partnership with Radio Shack. I should have known when VZW decided to bail on their partner it would only be a matter of time before they would stop caring about their customers, too.

Much like any relationship, things started out great. I was happy with what Verizon provided me (in service) and she loved the fact that I took care of her (pay my bill). Then a few years into it, things started getting cold. Verizon wasn't happy and she wanted more without really returning the favor. I was paying more for her needs but not seeing much improvement. Yet, I excused the added cost as a benefit to our long term commitment. The extra green coming out of my wallet was improving where this relationship could go (better network/greater coverage) in the future. Verizon was still a sweet enough gal so I was glad to stick around. A few more years later Verizon reared her ugly greediness again by stripping me of one of the few perks I had left with her. All of a sudden she decided we should go Dutch on our anniversary celebration we have every two years. When I talked to Verizon about this she would say how sorry she was but I just wasn't giving her enough anymore that she could justify fulfilling my needs the same way. Because I didn't spend as much on her as other would I was deemed less important and only worth half the value now. It wasn't easy to deal with but we managed to work through those rough times. Verizon always found a way to pull through just enough to make me feel like deep down she really did care, that is, until today.

After eleven years together Verizon decided it was time for another change. She went out and got a face lift (4GLTE) to feel more attractive to other people but she wanted to stick me with the bill. Disgruntled as I was for the fact that I didn't think I'd see any benefits soon (no 4G coverage in my area) I told myself eventually we would come to an understanding. Boy, was I wrong. Every two years on our anniversary we had always exchanged gifts. Even though in the recent past I had been paying more of a portion towards her gift to me, I would get a nice new shiny toy (phone upgrade) and she would get a reaffirmation of my commitment (new two year contract). Now I don't even have that to look forward to. Today I found out, through a friend no less, that Verizon is no more interested in me as she is with some new guy off the street! Verizon couldn't even tell me to my face how she decided our relationship had become inconsequential to her. She went out and got a whole new fancy wardrobe (change in data rates) so she can look sexy for a new guy and all I get to see her in is a bathrobe. Verizon also decided if I ever want a new toy from her, not only will I have to pay for it myself, she wants me to pay more towards her new wardrobe PLUS an extra $30 dollars just for getting the toy! A guy can only take so much before he knows there's nothing left of the relationship to carry on. If Verizon is more interested in looking for someone new, then I suppose there is someone else out there that would be happy to have me. Throwing away a long term relationship isn't easy but when the love isn't there, it is time to move on.

All kidding aside. I think it is ridiculous that Verizon treats their current customers with such disregard. In todays society there is a serious lack of good customer service and it doesn't like Verizon is any exception. I understand there is a cost in everything and I am willing to pay for improvements, if I see the worth. But with the options available today it isn't like Verizon has any edge on services provided. Yet, As a long time customer I am no more important than someone who becomes a customer tomorrow. At this point if I want the best deal I am better off playing the game of jumping ship from one provider to another because it seems "new customers" are all cell phone companies care about anymore. I will never understand how a corporation expects to "be the best" when they don't support the business they already have. In the end, are you really gaining new customers or just trading back and forth because you've lost value in the ones you already have?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Where is the loyalty?
Mr_Christian

Very well written, and I couldn't agree more.  I'm delivering a short list of demands to the Captain of this ship and if their not met, I will incite a mutiny.  Albeit a small and largely insignificant mutiny, a personally gratifying one.  I too am a 10 yr customer tired of being a statistic on some bean counting, Harvard educated Executive.  I wonder if they teach how to take a boot up the keister in executive school?

Anyway, it appears I have to take on an "Oliver Twist" persona to get something for being loyal.  "Please, Sir.  May I have some more?"  If it doesn't happen I will be disappointed, but I didn't run this ship aground and I'm not going down with her.

Good luck in your pursuit of a little extra bread.

0 Likes