When you are on Wi-Fi are you using your data plan? If so whats the point of being on Wi-Fi?
antdrewjosh

I'm constantly reaching my monthly limit. But I'm on Wi-Fi at home and at work. Anybody know if you're charged for data while on Wi-Fi?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When you are on Wi-Fi are you using your data plan? If so whats the point of being on Wi-Fi?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, you aren't charged for data when you're on wi-fi.  When using wi-fi, are you turning off your cellular data until needed?  Have you checked all the settings on your phone to ensure that you're updating via wi-fi?  This article might help:

9 ways to stay below your data cap on Android and iOS | TechHive

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: When you are on Wi-Fi are you using your data plan? If so whats the point of being on Wi-Fi?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, you aren't charged for data when you're on wi-fi.  When using wi-fi, are you turning off your cellular data until needed?  Have you checked all the settings on your phone to ensure that you're updating via wi-fi?  This article might help:

9 ways to stay below your data cap on Android and iOS | TechHive

0 Likes
Not applicable

No wi-fi doesn't use your data. Why would it? You're using data from whatever network you are connecting to which of course is not the cellular network. Verizon can't charge you for using someone else's data network. No offense, but I'm not sure why in 2014 this is still confusing to people.

If you're using an iPhone this is a common issue. It's best to turn cellular data completely off if you're using wi-fi. You won't get in MMS but you won't go over your cap accidentally either.

Sometimes you think you're on wi-fi you may not be because of weak wi-fi signal. The phone will then go to cellular data if you still have it enabled. For example one night our cable internet went out and one of line used nearly a GB of data because they were watching HD youtube videos. They didn't pay attention that the wi-fi signal wasn't showing. they did find a setting that says to only play HD videos while on wi-fi so that should help. Also I know Netflix has a setting for it to only work on wi-fi.  Another example is my son is away at college. The wi-fi can be touch and go depending on where you are on campus so sometimes he's using cellular data without knowing because of the weak wi-fi signal.

I'm on wi-fi most of the time and I typically use less than 200 MB per month in cellular data. So no Verizon doesn't count wi-fi against your cap.

0 Likes