Re: When will Verizon activate RCS services?
Tidbits
Legend

Aemarzan wrote:

♂️ Lol. When did I ever say they were the same? I’m not talking about features. I’m talking about quality of messaging. All those apps you mentioned have one thing in common. They all use data for exchange. But! it only works end to end meaning if the other person doesn’t have the same app it doesn’t work! Same as whatsapp, Kik. All use data but both parties have to use the same app either platform Android or iOS . So why can’t all carriers make a uniformed messaging app that functions like those apps mentioned and call it a day?

SMS/MMS does go over data??? It does? Oh man by all means please explain this to me and show me how to enable IMS on my Note 9 on Verizon. Help me out. I’d love to send and receive sms/mms messages without the horrific compression, size restrictions/caps. Please. By all means do tell. That’s what my whole argument and complaint has been about and here you had the answer all along. Why didn’t you just say so in the beginning! So tell me. How do I activate or use this IMS option? I’m dead serious.

I disagree. Way more than a bunch want it. The issue is not many either know that there is better or they just plain simple have no choice and arent vocal about it.

If you don’t mind me asking what phone do you use?

You keep comparing RCS to iMessages as if they are supposed to be the same.  Well with iOS everyone NEEDS to be on iOS to use iMessages.  If not everything is compressed and sent through SMS/MMS system...  So it's just like Skype, KiK, Whatsapp, or whatever what not messaging services.  With RCS current implementation it doesn't always work, and you are tied to carrier only and there is no interloping between carriers.  So your friend on T-Mobile for example you guys would fall back on SMS/MMS and you'd be stuck on the same boat even if you have RCS.

turn off cellular data and send a MMS with wifi off.  Oops can't send it because it uses data.  Go figure...  As I said you have no idea how everything works.  Try making a video call... Can't do that either.  RCS is more than just sending pictures.

I am willing to bet less than 10% of the world knows what RCS is, and less than that want it as bad as you do.  My field of work is mobile technologies just a heads up.  The numbers are not as large as you think it is.

Axellent33

Verizon's own Message+ is fully data chat capable like iMessage. Also, coming from someone who has used EVERY SINGLE SMS APP for Android, I can also say it's the best texting app. My only gripe is that they could make it "prettier" a little more visually appealing

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

One extra thing.  I would rather for them to get interloping down like SMS/MMS.  At that point is when people should really start caring because at this point skype, and such are a better alternative because it is not carrier dependent.  iMessages is popular mainly because it isn't carrier dependent and it just works.  RCS is nowhere near that level to actually be asking for it.

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok. How about this. Let's not even use the term RCS. Or RCS tech. Since you work in this field let me ask you this. Do you think carriers will ever be able to work together and establish some form of tech or way to make our messaging experience close to the likes of WhatsApp, kik, iMessage etc? Is there any technology out there that can even do it?

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also you never answered my question. What phone do you use?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Aemarzan wrote:

Ok. How about this. Let's not even use the term RCS. Or RCS tech. Since you work in this field let me ask you this. Do you think carriers will ever be able to work together and establish some form of tech or way to make our messaging experience close to the likes of WhatsApp, kik, iMessage etc? Is there any technology out there that can even do it?

Yes, but right now it's still in the growing phase just like how SMS and MMS has gone through.  It'll happen but realistically by 2020 when interloping and all carriers are on board the new standard.  It will be RCS as it's a GSMA standard.  It's not about working together it's about GSMA setting the standards and everyone complying to said standard.  For example T-Mobile uses V1, and Sprint uses the latest version.  This breaks interloping as it wasn't introduced until 2.0 iirc.  AT&T said they are working on it, but they haven't said what version.  We don't even know if they are going to use their backend, Google's, or Samsung's(backend doesn't matter as it complies with GSMA standards).  Verizon if they are late to the party chances are because of Block C rules they'll use the latest version if GSMA forces a specific version(which they will if mature enough like SMS/MMS/IMS).

I use an iPhone X, HTC U12, and Note 9 on T-Mobile (Digits all active with the same number).  For Verizon I sport the Z2 Force.

This is one of the bad reasons not to use text over data as all carriers have some version that does that and is not RCS and uses IMS Verizon Messages - Text Over WiFi & Cellular | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
The_Keebla

I'm with you on this one. I figure RCS would've been implement quickly for every carrier. For iMessage yes everyone does have to use iPhone but at the same time Messages is there default messaging app so yes they will all have it active. Since Google is making Android Messages default in most Android phones they could do the same thing as a workaround for carrier support just to show the benefits of Chat type messaging through any phone or carrier.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The_Keebla wrote:

I'm with you on this one. I figure RCS would've been implement quickly for every carrier. For iMessage yes everyone does have to use iPhone but at the same time Messages is there default messaging app so yes they will all have it active. Since Google is making Android Messages default in most Android phones they could do the same thing as a workaround for carrier support just to show the benefits of Chat type messaging through any phone or carrier.

Google isn't making Android Messages default.  I don't know who told you that.

0 Likes
The_Keebla

They were making Android Messages apart of the Android package that comes on Android phines. Unless they have changed that plan, you can look it up yourself and find that.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Source please. It's not part of AOSP and Samsung messages for example works with Android messages. That goes against the very notion that Google is going to bundle it.

Samsung and Google Collaborate on RCS Messaging for Android – Samsung Global Newsroom

0 Likes