When will Verizon activate RCS services?
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

When will Verizon activate RCS service? It's insane that this hasn't been implimented already! Any smart phone user is required to have a data plan with their service. So we are paying for it already but aren't being allowed to use it! Why are SMS and MMS messaging being sent through antient cellular signal which has huge data restrictions instead of data signal which allows quality pictures, videos and long messages to remain intact. Come on Verizon. Its 2018 for crying out loud. For the amount of money customers are paying for these devices that are fully capable and support RCS and not being able to actually use it is obsurd! Again, we are all ready paying for data in our service plans, let us use it!

Labels (1)
Re: When will Verizon activate RCS services?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Aemarzan,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We strive to always offer our valued customers the best services and features. I'll certainly pass your feedback along to our management team for additional review. Your feedback helps us offer more features and functions in the future. We appreciate you. Do you have any more concerns I can address for you?

Juan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Aemarzan wrote:

When will Verizon activate RCS service? It's insane that this hasn't been implimented already! Any smart phone user is required to have a data plan with their service. So we are paying for it already but aren't being allowed to use it! Why are SMS and MMS messaging being sent through antient cellular signal which has huge data restrictions instead of data signal which allows quality pictures, videos and long messages to remain intact. Come on Verizon. Its 2018 for crying out loud. For the amount of money customers are paying for these devices that are fully capable and support RCS and not being able to actually use it is obsurd! Again, we are all ready paying for data in our service plans, let us use it!

Who else has it?

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

T-Mobile and Sprint have implemented already. Do you not agree that messaging should be sent via data?

boringusername
Master - Level 1

Aemarzan wrote:

T-Mobile and Sprint have implemented already. Do you not agree that messaging should be sent via data?

Sprint is garbage, T-Mobile has it activated one ONE phone the Galaxy S7. If it's that important to have right now then switch to Sprint or T-Mobile( assuming you have the Galaxy S7 )

0 Likes
terrynoir
Enthusiast - Level 2

What exactly is RCS? I've never heard of it before, What does it do?

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good service and getting what we pay for is important to me and you're incorrect. RCS is available on every device as RCS is nothing more than a software update and carriers activating it. Simple. I have a Note 9 and an Apple iPhone X.

To be clear. I think Verizon has the best service of the big 4 (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile) which is why I'm so surprised that it hasn't been implemented yet. Messaging via cellular network is ancient and if we are already paying for a data plan then what's the issue with sending messages via data which allows customers a way better service and experience?

Apple figured this out and capitalized on this concept long ago when they created iMessage which brings me to my theory as to why carriers haven't implemented messages via data. They are all in bed and loyal to Apple and are helping them boost iPhone sales.  Allowing only iPhones that use iMessage to message via data with almost no file size cap providing great quality for SMS and MMS exchange forces consumers to have to buy iPhones to get that quality service and experience. Once a consumer experiences this it makes it very difficult to leave Apple/iMessage and go to an Android based phone who's messaging capabilities are restricted to cellular message exchange and extremely limited. But now if you allow the same type of speed, service, quality and experience with Android based devices then now it's an even playing field and messaging quality wouldn't be a determining factor in choosing a phone. More weight would be placed on the device functionality, OS, etc. Just my theory.

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-rcs-messaging/

That article gives a good explanation of what RCS is and can do.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

I am not wrong

T-Mobile has started rolling out support for the RCS Universal profile — a new messaging standard that’s supposed to make traditional texting look a bit more like chatting in a modern messaging app, complete with read receipts, typing indicators, and more.

The rollout, spotted by Android Police, is starting with Samsung’s Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge and is supposed to come to more Android devices later in the year.

T-Mobile is rolling out support for the next-gen texting standard backed by Google - The Verge

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think we are confusing the question. Yes they sent out the update to activate the S7 and S7 edge and will be updating other Android phone via software update.

What I am saying is that all the phones in terms of hardware are already capable of RCS. A simple update and voilà you have RCS! It’s that simple.

So im confused? What is your argument/point? You don’t believe that Verizon should implement RCS? You think messaging should continue to be sent on restricted poor quality celular network exchange? You don’t want Verizon to utilize the data exchange for our messaging like iMessage which we are paying for anyway? 

Any thoughts on my other point?

• Carriers purposely not allowing SMS & MMS to utilize data with messages to boost iPhone sales?