What is domestic roaming?
qwerty098
Enthusiast - Level 3

What is roaming? If I turn on roaming and I am in the United States (and say i "roamed" data), do I still pay fees, or is it only outside the United States? Sorry but roaming is explained well outside for when outside the US (Canada,Mexico,etc) but doesn't say anything about roaming in the US.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Roaming question
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello qwerty098,

In the wireless world, roaming is defined as when a wireless device is active on another network other than the home network. As I'm sure that you may know, we have the largest and most reliable wireless network in the United States. There are some areas, very few may I add, that we do not have a Verizon owned cell tower stationed. Depending on the demographics, wireless spectrum being used, legal process, and population of the area, it would be more beneficial to have a roaming agreement with the local carrier than to build another cell tower. These agreement is what allows our customers to truly enjoy nationwide coverage from coast to coast. Below is a link to FAQs on domestic roaming.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Wireless%20Service/faq_domestic_roaming.html

By turning off roaming in the settings on the device, you may limit your wireless service to a certain region, based on native cell tower attendance. If you are within the United States then I encourage to keep roaming on to ensure that you have the best coverage available. As budone stated, you are not charged for any roaming fees as long as you are within the US. This is assuming that you have current Nationwide calling plan pricing. If you would like for me to confirm what coverage you have then feel free to reply to this message with your inquiry so I can further assist.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

There are areas where you may roam, (Extended Service Area) where you will not be charged anything add'l. Although your data speed may be 1x.

Then there may be a few areas where you will roam and it will cost for calls, messaging, or data. In those cases you will see a Solid Triangle on your device.

Will you ever be in an area where it will cost??? All according to which plan you are on and if it is a VZW or an old Alltel plan.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello qwerty098,

In the wireless world, roaming is defined as when a wireless device is active on another network other than the home network. As I'm sure that you may know, we have the largest and most reliable wireless network in the United States. There are some areas, very few may I add, that we do not have a Verizon owned cell tower stationed. Depending on the demographics, wireless spectrum being used, legal process, and population of the area, it would be more beneficial to have a roaming agreement with the local carrier than to build another cell tower. These agreement is what allows our customers to truly enjoy nationwide coverage from coast to coast. Below is a link to FAQs on domestic roaming.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Wireless%20Service/faq_domestic_roaming.html

By turning off roaming in the settings on the device, you may limit your wireless service to a certain region, based on native cell tower attendance. If you are within the United States then I encourage to keep roaming on to ensure that you have the best coverage available. As budone stated, you are not charged for any roaming fees as long as you are within the US. This is assuming that you have current Nationwide calling plan pricing. If you would like for me to confirm what coverage you have then feel free to reply to this message with your inquiry so I can further assist.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
qwerty098
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the help! Can you please tell me what coverage i have?

0 Likes
MankatoMN12
Contributor - Level 2

If you have a standard Verizon Wireless plan you are covered in the United States

0 Likes
barbaracarew

I would like to know if I can use roaming in my plan for free. In the mountains, connection is frequently sketchy.

0 Likes
smcelraf

With my current plan, do I have to pay for roaming?

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting ahead of Service costs is key to keeping them low. What is the exact plan you are on?

If you are not sure, I am dropping you a Private Note to access your account.

-Gina

0 Likes