What is a "short code" and how do I stop them from texting me?
cpkinney

I started getting texts from what is apparently a short code in December.  Now I am getting them daily.
I really need this to stop.  And yes, I tried replying "stop" and that hasn't helped.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is a "short code" and how do I stop them from texting me?
rcschnoor
Legend

A short code is simply something a company uses as an address they send/receive texts to/from. Texts you receive from these companies are normally something for which you signed up for from their website or texting a word/phrase to their "short code". For example, if you text the word "super" to the shortcode 727272, you are subscribing to Redbox's texting service which provides codes to get discounted/free movies from their kiosks.

What are the texts about? What is the short code? Try texting "help" to the short code for instructions. These will normally include a method to discontinue the texts.

0 Likes
cpkinney

The short code is "6250".  Apparently, this is a weird synching issue with email and Droid.  From the little bit of research I've done, the Droid incredible has had a terrible time with this.  I have a Razr. 

The message is "VZWNMN:1".  It comes at what appears to be random times and is particularly annoying when it happens in the middle of the night.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

This sounds as if it is related to an app you had installed and then un-installed but are still receiving push notifications. This is sometimes how apps are able to get push notifications for their apps. The app signs your phone up for texting notifications to let the app know when there are updates, such as posts or status updates. Sometimes when the app is un-installed, it does not correctly remove the notification procedure. Sometimes the app does not correctly intercept the text which is what it is supposed to do before you get the notification that you have a new text. These do not normally show up in your text log and you are not charged for them.

You may have to call CS to have this stopped. You can also check online for other methods as one example of a quick google search for "short code 6250"

0 Likes
cpkinney

Thanks.  I am not the most tech savvy person on the planet.  So, I appreciate your explanations.

0 Likes