What happened to 3G (or any for that matter) service in the Chama, NM area?
papabehr

We frequent the area of Heron Lake State park in northern NM.  For the past 3+ years we have had good coverage for our Verizon phones (both personal and business).   We had good coverage still on the weekend of 21-23 June.  When we returned over the Independence Day Holiday we had zilch, nada, nothing.  Closer to Chama we could receive 1X coverage but at low signal strength that would not reliably support understandable voice conversations.  Rumor on the street was that there was some tiff between AT&T and Verizon with a lease arrangement for a cell or cells (presumably more than just one given the extent of the area of coverage lost.)  We were left in quite a lurch.  In this day of "We have the best coverage" wars between cell phone companies, it is utterly surprising to me that Verizon would (if it is true) succumb to pressures that would effectively reduce their coverage area.   I would like to know what the recovery plan and timeline is.  Should there be none or it take too long, we (and all of our extended family) will likely resort to switching to AT&T.  We have been with Verizon for nearly 20 years (since we got our first cell phone) and tend to be quite loyal, but loyalty must go both ways and I am not feeling it in return.  By the way, seemingly when Verizon instituted 4G coverage in Albuquerque where we live, our coverage at our house went bad, too.  Dropped calls, no connects, etc. have become the norm and to my knowledge Verizon never made one attempt to diagnose the fluctuating signal strength in our neighborhood.  Perhaps AT&T would work better at our Albuquerque location as well!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What happened to 3G (or any for that matter) service in the Chama, NM area?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to the coverage map, Chama, NM is in an extended coverage area for both voice and data. It is possible that was covered by Alltel before and was one of the areas of the Alltel service area purchased by AT&T in the divestment required by the FCC for the Verizon/Alltel merger.

I just looked up the divestment map again. The following Alltel RSA areas were sold to AT&T. NM RSA 1 (Cibola, McKinley, Rio Arriba, San Juan and Taos Counties) NM RSA 5 (Grant, Hidalgo, and Luna counties) and NM RSA 6 (Chaves, Eddy, Lee, Lincoln, and Otero counties) plus the Las Cruces NM MSA (CMA 285) Dona Ana county.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there papabehr,

I want to start off by thanking you for your continued support over the past 20 years.  That is true loyalty and I want do whatever I can to continue our relationship for many years to come.

I would like to review your area in detail to see what is exactly causing the issues in your area and to see what we can do to improve your signal strength in your area.

Please follow us and dm us your mobile number and billing system password and I'll review your account in detail.

Standing by for your response.

Nicholas_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
misha11417

I live in Queens NY and have been having similar, no/weak service issues on my s3 since Weds.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi misha11417. I want you to get your service up and running smooth too. Queens is a pretty big area, but I don't see anyone has reported data trouble there in the past few days. Is the trouble just indoors? Does it seem to happen near a specific intersection? Is it affecting both voice and data service? Since these phones are becoming so much more like mini computers, the occasional reboot can make a world of difference. Try http://vz.to/V5RXCf to reboot your phone and SIM. You can also try the Software Repair Assistant http://vz.to/13s9bNr, which will help to make sure your phone's software is not only up to date but running smoothly.

Please keep us posted if you continue to run into service trouble. 

Jennifer_VZW

0 Likes
elderchild

Same thing happened to me!

Yet i connected in Chama one day and the next day NOTHING!

And that happened after i had traveled almost 300 miles to spend two weeks at Heron Lake!

Had to travel an additional 250 miles to Bluewater Lake for a total of 550 miles which would have been only 240 miles if i had known that service @ Heron Lake would be no more!

YET! THE VERIZON COVERAGE MAP STILL SHOWS 3G COVERAGE FOR HERON LAKE AND CHAMA!

So who pays for the gas, wasted time and miles on my RV?

GOT TO BE A LAW!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Saturday elderchild,

We know how important it is to have consistent and reliable wireless service. While we have the largest, most reliable wireless network in the US, we do have partnerships with other wireless carriers to ensure that no cell phone is left without service. As I look at the map, there is coverage available but it is extended coverage. We want to make sure that your basic functions are able to work. May I ask are you having issues with voice and/or data? Also, what make and model device do you have? If you can share with me the details on the issue then we can customize a solution for you.

Thank you...

Arnett_VZW

0 Likes
elderchild

What a stupid, ignorant response!

In response to papabehr i had testified:

Same thing happened to me!

Yet i connected in Chama one day and the next day NOTHING!

And that happened after i had traveled almost 300 miles to spend two weeks at Heron Lake!

Had to travel an additional 250 miles to Bluewater Lake for a total of 550 miles which would have been only 240 miles if i had known that service @ Heron Lake would be no more!

YET! THE VERIZON COVERAGE MAP STILL SHOWS 3G DATA COVERAGE FOR HERON LAKE AND CHAMA!

AND VERIZON HAS ALREADY STATED THAT THERE WILL BE NO DATA SERVICE FOR HERON LAKE STATE PARK OR CHAMA FOR A YEAR!!

AND THEN YOU DECIDE TO PLAY WORD GAMES!!!

So who pays for the gas, wasted time and miles on my RV?

GOT TO BE A LAW!

0 Likes
creativepart

I have a pre-paid 4G Jetpack. I'm heading to Chama for a week of fishing around the area around the first week of September. Is there likely to be Verizon broadband of any kind near the town? I also have an older 3g mifi if there is no 4g there.

I'm in the process of deciding between going to Taos or going to Chama. The internet service will clinch the location for me.

I'm assuming with a bigger town Taos will be easy to get internet. But I'd prefer going to Chama. I run an internet business and need access to the net during my stay.

0 Likes
elderchild

i was told there would be no data coverage in the Chama, NM and Heron Lake area for about a year and that was in the end of May.

Yet Verizon Wireless still shows coverage on their coverage area map!

Just to be sure call The Heron Lake State park or Chama chamber of commerce and ask them.

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW!

There was coverage in Taos and probably still is, yet as far as coverage by a lake?

Call the state parks people if you'll be staying at a NM state park.

0 Likes