What a joke!
rlandis8

I have a Verizon Wireless account.  They talked me into upping my data limit for my plan to 8GB.  I did.  Today while I was driving and not using my phone I got an alert that my data was 75% used.  I just checked yesterday and it was only at 3.7GB.  I looked and I was at about 5.5GB.  I thought, ok, maybe.  10 minutes later I got a message that my data was 90% used up.  I checked and sure enough I was over 7GB.  I then got another message that my data was used up.  Mind you, I wasn't using my phone, but sure enough I had hit my overage.  I called 611 and was told that I should up my data limit.  So, to avoid huge overages I did and continued troubleshooting.  They determined that my Yahoo Mail app was to blame.  I deleted the app, yet my data then went up to 9.3GB.  I spoke to 3 people at Verizon asking why this was doing this.  My four month old Galaxy S4 was hot and kept giving network errors even after Verizon's idea to reboot.  I hung up out of anger when they said there was nothing they could do.  I then wrote a Facebook rant, and much to my surprise I'm not the only one.  I have 3 other people who mysteriously went over their Verizon data limit today.  One of the phones was sitting in a cup holder like mine.  Verizon said it was the NFL mobile app that ran up over a GB of data in an hour.  Verizon support states that live game streaming uses up to 350MB per hour, but this phone wasn't streaming any games on a Tuesday daytime sitting in a cup holder.  Another phone was linked to Wi-Fi all day, but used over 2GB of data.  I did the math.  If Yahoo Mail was the culprit I would be mighty talented.  Yahoo Mail has a limit of 25MB per email.  So, with that said I would have had to send over 200 messages containing attachments that reached the 25MB limit in a matter of 45 minutes, while driving, while the phone was charging and sitting in my cupholder.  I consider myself to be rather suave with technology, but that's a feat for myself even!  I don't know if you consider this news worthy, but I think if Verizon is intentionally or unintentionally creating extra charges on people's plans (btw my bill is almost $350 a month) then this is something that the press can possibly get to the bottom of.

This is the email I sent the local news station.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What a joke!
Magpul83
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sometimes on android phone if you don't close out apps that your not using it will chew up your data. If you have a tablet or other devices that your not using try turning them off if you can. Have you tried to see if there is an update available? If you have phone insurance I'd try getting a new phone and see if that helps. This probably didn't answer your question but something is obviously eating up your data. I'd blame an app or streaming videos...

0 Likes