Re: Warning: Don't Use Trade-In Program
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is not the experience we want you to have. We would be happy to investigate this concern. We will send you a Private Note, to proceed further. BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
cyn5351

Just got the SAME EXACT EMAIL from Verizon today. I am furious. My phone was working no cracks. the same statement was made in the email as everyone else posted.

Has anyone had any success at getting the full trade in??

0 Likes
RHerman1

***Found out I made a mistake***

I got an email from Verizon saying that my trade-in phone had a cracked screen and that I would not get $350 credit, but $44.50. I was upset. I found this message and grew concerned that I had been scammed. I called Verizon and spoke to a representative who listened carefully. She was able to pull up a picture of my iPhone and told me that they had found a crack in the lower left hand corner. I had taken pictures of the phone before I shipped. To my utter surprise, when I zoomed in I could see the crack. Verizon was correct.

I am writing to suggest that taking a picture of your phone before you ship it off is a good idea. I believed with all certainty that I had shipped them a perfect phone. I had no doubt. The phone was well cared for. I would not have believed Verizon if it were not for my own photo.  Save yourself the frustration and carefully inspect your phone before shipping. I do wish I could get it back, it is worth more than $44.50 to me, but I understand the terms to which I agreed. The customer service representative was amazing. I wish I had inspected my phone more closely.

0 Likes
tanyaharder

i traded mine in too. they said they woudl give me $200 for my phone.  after they recived it i made payments and paid the new phone off-- so they cancelled the credit. i never got $1 for sending them my phone.  I coudl have easly sold it myself and now they have the phone-- for free

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tanyaharder, We certainly understand your concern regarding the promotional credits. With any promo, the device payment agreements for the device must remain active to receive all 24 device promotional credits. If you deactivate the agreement (by paying the device off), the bill credits are discontinued.

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
hpaugh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like some others in this thread, I was lured into this deceitful program by an  eager sales representative (Joshua) at our local Verizon store (Clarksville, TN).  He examined our Iphone 6 trade-in and said it was in good condition, but because of its age it had $0 "market value".  He went on to tell is even though it had no market value, it still qualified for the $200 Promotional Credit.  He gave us a receipt showing the same.

We thought is was strange that he didn't want to keep the trade-in, but wanted us to mail it in using their packing materials.  But being the first time we ever traded in a phone we accepted this as SOP.  We also thought it strange that he didn't want to help us transfer our contacts and data to the new phone.  He said we could do it at home, then mail the phone in.

Like so many others, we too were informed later by email from that our $200 credit was being revoked because our phone screen had a crack.  Fortunately, at the recommendation of our sales rep, we had taken a picture of our phone before mailing it in (should have been suspect at why he would recommend the photo).  I enlarge the photo and found no crack, but did find a small chip on the bezel.  Upon calling Customer Service in Georgia and protesting their findings, they told me they considered that chip to be a cracked screen.  They said the phone was useless to them, regardless of how valuable and functional it was to us.  They also said they would not return it to me even if I paid the handling and shipping.

What makes this whole situation so frustrating is that when you sign your agreement you restrict your legal rights to either their arbitration apparatus, or small claims court.  My research shows that Verizon won't waste their time showing up to the hearing if you go the small claims court route.  Why should they send a $200/hour attorney to a remote county to stop a $200 judgement.  I'm sure that know that less than 1 in a 1000 will challenge them legally.

Speaking of signing an agreement;  how many of you were like us and only saw an electronic pad that you signed with your finger?  And then you were told it was just your agreement to pay off the phone.  I bet you weren't told that you were also waiving legal rights.  I'm also curious how many customers can find where the copy of the agreement they signed is buried on the Verizon web page.

My advice to others who venture into a Verizon store, bend over and grab your ankles.

spiritualbeing

Same exact thing just happened to us, we had just received the email about our trade-in value from Verizon that we are only getting $17.50 for our Samsung S7 edge in mint condition instead of $200 as promised when spoke with a representative at a Verizon store.   The biggest scam! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want to hear this, our goal is that you are a happy customer. When was the new phone purchased? Did the store totally handle the trade-in, did you leave the device with them or did you send it in to us? Was this part of a promotion?

RosanneM_VZW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

0 Likes
vmSRVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went through a very similar experience. I "fell" for the Trade-in program trap and sent a perfectly working iPhone 7 128GB phone to Verizon as part of their deal. I was expecting the full trade in value of $350. But I got an email that I will only get a credit of $38. Wait, $38 instead of $350??? When I called customer care, the lady said that there is a chip in the phone screen. I asked her to send the photo and the photo she sent had a very minor blemish on the top edge of the phone. This is not even noticeable to the naked eye (unless you take a photo and zoom in). It is not even in the display area and in no way affects the functionality of the phone. The Customer Care lady said that Verizon is being generous and courteous by offering $38 although the value of the phone is $0. Are we living in a world where we trash a perfectly working device??? When I asked her to return the phone so I could put it to better use or even donate it, she said that I had relinquished my rights over the phone when I submitted for trade in. Really? I was expecting $350 for a phone in good working condition. If Verizon determines that it's not good enough for them, then why can't I get it back? This is a one way street and totally unfair. When I insisted that I wanted my phone back, she said that it's not possible and offered to credit another $20. This is such a scam and I'm surprised that a multi billion dollar company uses such tricks to exploit customers.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am shocked to hear that this happened, vmSRVerizon. I know that there is a big difference from $350.00 to $38.00. I know you are in a difficult position. Per the terms and agreement we do disclose that the device cannot be returned to you. We also disclose that if there is any damage that the refund may adjust. I am a consumer myself so I understand that this is difficult to accept. I would like to review your account and see what I can do to help you. I have sent you a private note.   AmberF_VZW

0 Likes