Warning: Don't Use Trade-In Program
STEVEZILLA05
Enthusiast - Level 1

In April 2018, I decided against my better judgement to use the Verizon trade-in program. I've always sold my phones on eBay previously with great success, getting top dollar for my phones which are always in pristine condition. With the Verizon promotion, the total amount they would pay for my phone was $245.  I could get around $300 on eBay, but decided that the extra $60 was not worth the extra hassle.

In the Verizon store, the employee looked over my phone and said that it looked good -- was in great condition.  He asked if I had my phone backed up and I said no.  So, he gave me a box in order to return the phone once I had finished the backup.

After I had everything backed up, I sent the phone back.

A few days later I received a confirmation email.  Instead of $245, they had given me $70 for my phone. They claimed the screen was cracked, but I can assure that it was in 100% perfect condition when it was sent.  Remember, the Verizon store employee inspected it himself before he gave me the credit amount!

I told the representative on the phone that I either wanted the $245 that was promised, or I wanted the phone returned.  For $70, I'd give the phone to my kids to play with... They tried to negotiate with me and offered $155 -- I declined... Even for $155 I'd rather have my phone back.  I told them the only two options I would accept was the return of my phone or payment of the agreed upon price.  The fact that they were willing to negotiate with me after they had already agreed to the $245 trade-in price was infuriating.

They told me that returning my phone was not a possibility... So, let me get this right.  They can agree to pay me whatever amount they want and I simply have to accept it no matter what?  They never asked me, "We can now only pay you $70 for your phone, will you accept this?" or "Your phone was not in the condition you described so we're returning it to you."  I simply have to trust their inspection?  Something doesn't seem right with this situation!  It's misleading to the nth degree.

I escalated the call and was told to escalate further they'd have to call me back.  Think I've received a call back yet?  Nope.

I tried going to the Verizon store which originally initiated the upgrade.  They shrugged me off... Just told me to call customer service. 

After looking through online forums there is a constant barrage of negative experiences with the Verizon trade-in program.  Like, it's really really bad.

I'm going to be submitting a complaint to the attorney general in my state.  I'd suggest that all others who have been wronged by the program do the same.  Verizon cannot make false and misleading statements to consumers.  They cannot make promises and fail to follow-through.

To anyone else who is considering the Verizon trade-in program... Don't.  If you want the convenience of a trade-in, use a reputable one (Like Apple's Upgrade Program) or sell the phone yourself on an online marketplace. 

If you use the Verizon trade-in program, you're truly rolling the dice... If you don't believe my story, just do a quick search and you'll find hundreds (if not thousands) or similar situations.  Let this serve as your warning!

Labels (1)
Re: Warning: Don't Use Trade-In Program
RBT81
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same EXACT thing happened to me this month.  Perfectly good phone.  They said the screen was cracked/unresponsive.  Neither of those it true.  The phone worked great when I traded it.  Scam.  I will never forget this.

RAMVIJJU14
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same thing happened to me. I sent my iPhone 7 32GB phone which is in very good condition and they downgraded value saying that the screen is broken. Did not expect this from Verizon. Now you guys know how difficult it is to get it resolved from Verizon customer service.  I should have researched more before sending the phone to Verizon. Somehow I trusted Verizon and blindly sent it to them. I dont know what to do now. Dont do this mistake guys.

pastedImage_2.png

​Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

natashaa_vzw
Verizon Employee

RAMVIJJU14, using our trade-in option to save on your next upgrade is a great way to save money. It saddens me to hear you feel this way as we strive to provide you with the highest trade-in value possible. Let's attempt to figure out what happened. When you sent in the device, did you use any packaging material to ensure the phone was stabilized during the shipping process?

NatashaA_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RAMVIJJU14
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes Natasha. I am sure that my phone is not broken as I used good cover to take care of it. I was surprised to see that my screen is broken. Unfortunately, I did not take photographs before sending the phone to you to justify my statement as I didn't expect that I will end up in this situation and somehow I thought the process will be smooth. Well, I was sad to see broken phone pictures from you and I don't know what to say. As there is no option to get back my phone, I accepted what I got. Even I tried to delete my comment on blog as It's my mistake that I sent it without taking photographs. I am fine if you can delete my comment in the community. Please let me know if you need anything else from my side.

Thanks

0 Likes
Mcl26022
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did a upgrade on line with a trade in. Bad idea. I’m going on 7 weeks trying to get trade in box. 5 phone calls all assuring me that the box will be resent... 

my credit is worth approximately 200.00. Frustratinf and their  customer service is a scam. 

Have 3 lines with Verizon andcloolong to make a Carrier change.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Mcl26022

This is definitely not the type of experience we want for you, and we wouldn't want to see you leave us over this. However, I do understand your frustrations with this ongoing issue of not receiving the trade-in material and your account credit. I would like to take a closer look at this issue for you. I will send you a Private Message for further assistance.

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
Youthebest
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow so many people are going through the same problems.
This exact thing just happened to me too. I ordered the Galaxy S10 5G during the pre-order promotion period where they offered $450 for an iphone 7 plus trade-in. My phone was in perfectly working condition and had no cracks on the screen whatsoever. I received an email today from Verizon saying the exact same thing for the adjustment rationale and reduced the final offer price down to $120. "Screen was unresponsive or had cracks".

After talking to few Verizon reps online, I had no option but to file a BBB complaint. They all said that $120 is the final offer and I can't get my phone back because the trade-in program is irreversible. 

This sounds like a bait and switch scam.

Is there any class action lawsuit regarding this matter?

Tmleger8297
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am going through this situation right now. We traded in my daughters and my iPhone 7s. Mine was in perfect condition cosmetically and operationally. My daughters had a Tiny tiny defect in the screen but the sales rep looked at both phones and offered us the full $450 per phone trade-in. Because we did not have our phones cleared, they sent us home with a box. Immediately after clearing our phones  I put them in the pouches and actually added additional padding inside the box and mailed it. Just received notice that they are saying my daughters phone had a significant screen defect and that it was not operational and could not even be turned on when they received it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that phone when we sent it in. They have offered a partial Trade in value and suggested I could either do that or fight with UPS to see if I could get them to pay the difference . This wouldn’t be an option with the UPS claims requirements because I don’t have the box and I can’t take pictures of the packing and the box as it was when it arrived at Verizon. My sales rep when I spoke with her personally didn’t understand it either because she said that she looked at it and she would never have taken it if it was significantly cracked or inoperational but her hands were tied. Very frustrating. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize to hear that you are going through this. Our goal is to provide the assistance you deserve. We would like to look further into this for you. Please meet us in a Private Note for assistance. AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes