Vtext.com does not work on software other than MS Outlook, why?
Petros66

I can not get vtext.com to work on notification software for the purpose of sending emails to wireless devices. This service works just fine with MS Outlook with an address setup like ##########@vtext.com. But I used MS Outlook only to test, I need to use my email notification software to work with vtext.com and I do not know what email server to enter under its settings.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Vtext.com does not work on software other than MS Outlook, why?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you trying to send email notifications, or receive email notifications?  vtext.com is a text messaging system, not an email system, and only works with Verizon phone numbers.  You can use an email account to send a text message to a verizon number ##########@vtext.com

What are you trying to do?

0 Likes
Petros66

Hello Suzy,

Allow me to explain; I have software for the purpose of sending email alerts when an event occurs on our network. The alert will be an SMTP message sent to an on call operator. I have success sending a test email to my Verizon cell phone using MS Outlook, with an email address of 530448####@vtext.com<mailto:530448####@vtext.com>. This approach functions perfectly. I need the same function to work on my alert software.

I have included its configuration page to see if you could help me with a couple of the entries.

Here are the error messages I receive after a test:

2/19/2014 12:19:52 PM : MailServer: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

2/19/2014 12:19:52 PM : SMTP Error: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

Thank you,

Peter

<< Signature information removed to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It appears as if you are trying to get the system to send the mail FROM the vtext.com address - and you can't do that. Your number can receive texts sent to xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com , as do other verizon numbers.  But it only works with verizon numbers, and you can't send FROM that via Outlook or any other, only through the vtext.com web interface. (AFAIK)

Does your alert system send out text messages?  Email?  Why do you need it to go through Vtext?  Can't you simply enter the operator's cell number, or an email that will send a text through THEIR carrier (if it is not Verizon) but have it sent through your company's email system?

Am I totally not understanding what you are trying to do?

0 Likes
Petros66

If Outlook works (and it does) I should be able to do the same below. The technology is all there

I just do not know if I need to enter a Verizon server name (below in green) and or a Verizon username

And password also.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Petros66 wrote:

... I just do not know if I need to enter a Verizon server name (below in green) and or a Verizon username

And password also.

Why would you need to do that?  The message is being sent FROM your server - to a verizon number@vtext.com   So the server information should be the same as you use for your test message in Outlook.  If that set up works, then use it and just send the alert to whoever you need to.

What am I missing here?

0 Likes
Petros66

Suzy, you are absolutely correct in that theoretically it should work exactly as you say, but it doesn’t.

Here are the results of that test:

2/19/2014 5:11:17 PM : Mail Server: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

2/19/2014 5:11:17 PM : SMTP Error: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

This is why I wanted to check for available Verizon mail servers.

Thanks

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

All of your attached images are blank.  But the googling the error code led me to this:

Open the Exchange System Manager;

Go in Administrative Groups -> Administrative group name -> Server -> Server name -> Protocols -> SMTP;

Right click on Default SMTP Virtual Server -> properties;

Access tab -> Relay buttom;

Select "only the list below" and add your domain and\or IPs you do want to allow the relay

and finally check  the "Allow all computers witch successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above" checkbox.

There are other solutions proposed in this rather long thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a84a06a-f1c8-40b4-ace8-1e264f218aa1/550-571-unable...

However, you may find clues in there as to why it's not working from your notification server.

Post back with your findings?

0 Likes