Voice only - Does poor coverage on Sprint translate to poor service on Verizon (both CDMA)?
2piedrasmore

My voice coverage on Sprint is unacceptable at home and at the places I frequent. This is true whether using a flip phone or a smart phone. Both phones allow roaming, as does my plan. Can I assume that Verizon voice coverage would be equally unacceptable in these areas? If not, why not. I'd like to understand. Data coverage is no better but my main priority is getting a phone/network that will make phone calls when I need it to.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Voice only - Does poor coverage on Sprint translate to poor service on Verizon (both CDMA)?
phoneplan7886
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm going to assume you don't currently have VZW service and are wondering if VZW coverage would be better in your area? Your sprint phone will not connect and use a Verizon wireless tower unless Sprint has a roaming agreement with verizon for that tower/area. So your Sprint device isn't a good indicator of VZW coverage. To guage VZW coverage in your area prior to signing up for service you can find a friend or family member with a Verizon device and invite them over to your place and check out their coverage (bribery works for my family and friends dinner, drinks etc). Another option that is cheaper than signing up for a 2 year contract is getting a prepaid Verizon Flip type phone / sign up for the $0.99 daily plan and put 15 bucks on it ($40dollar phone $15 card.)  Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Voice only - Does poor coverage on Sprint translate to poor service on Verizon (both CDMA)?
phoneplan7886
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm going to assume you don't currently have VZW service and are wondering if VZW coverage would be better in your area? Your sprint phone will not connect and use a Verizon wireless tower unless Sprint has a roaming agreement with verizon for that tower/area. So your Sprint device isn't a good indicator of VZW coverage. To guage VZW coverage in your area prior to signing up for service you can find a friend or family member with a Verizon device and invite them over to your place and check out their coverage (bribery works for my family and friends dinner, drinks etc). Another option that is cheaper than signing up for a 2 year contract is getting a prepaid Verizon Flip type phone / sign up for the $0.99 daily plan and put 15 bucks on it ($40dollar phone $15 card.)  Hope that helps!

0 Likes
2piedrasmore

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to know. But it begs another question. Would a company like GreatCall (described in wikipedia as a Verizon MVNO (virtual network)) - would service through a company like that include the entire Verizon network or just a subset that they have contracted for? Do you happen to know?

0 Likes
phoneplan7886
Enthusiast - Level 3

As far as im aware, MVNO carriers have access to the entire VZW network. If I ever wanted to leave vzw corporate I would go to a vzw MVNO with my current devices rather than another competitors network and have to buy new devices and sufffer with the poor quality. Be sure to check their coverage map and the map on vzw.com to see if there are any differences in your area to be safe.

0 Likes