Visual Voicemail and data charges
tomseys
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi. I have a simple question about Basic Visual Voicemail (VVM) and how data is charged or deducted when it is used.

Now, I know that in order to use VVM a data connection needs to be on so it can connect to the Verizon server to work properly. I've also read in the Verizon FAQs that "data charges may also apply when using VVM". But I've also read older posts that state VVM does not use data (MBs) but only needs a data connection.

So, my question/s is,

1. Does basic VVM use data and by use I mean charge or deduct it and if it does:

2. What does it charge for? Downloading messages... checking the server?

3. How much data does it charge generally speaking for downloading one voicemail message as an example?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Visual Voicemail and data charges
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there, tomseys! We are terribly sorry to hear you were not able to post a response. Remember with the visual voicemail data charges apply for app and message downloads and emails initiated from the app. Do you have any other question we can help you with?

Rachel_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I do not believe that this services deducts data from your plan.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

sprmankalel wrote:

I do not believe that this services deducts data from your plan.

It doesn't and even if it did the at use is minimal

0 Likes
tomseys
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just tried to reply but it didn't seem to post.

Thanks guys.

If Verizon does not deduct for data, meaning not even minimally, why do they state they may deduct from data for VVM?

In what case do they deduct it? Thanks.

0 Likes
tomseys
Enthusiast - Level 3

I meant to say does not deduct data for VVM.

Are there cases where they do deduct it (prepaid, premium VVM etc)?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Premium will translate your VM to text. So yeah that will use data. You didn't ask about Premium you said basic which is just regular voice mail. Even so the amount of data used is minimal

0 Likes
tomseys
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was asking about basic Visual Voicemail since Verizon does not identify what type of VVM it is in the FAQs when it states that Visual Voicemail may incur data charges. It makes no mention of basic visual voicemail or premium visual voicemail.

Basic Visual Voicemail is not regular voicemail. Regular voicemail is Basic voicemail and that does not use a data connection. It uses the basic *86 voicemail system.

0 Likes
tomseys
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyway, I do appreciate the answers but is there a Verizon support rep who can confirm that basic visual voicemail does not deduct from data when it is used?

If it doesn't, are there special cases when it does like with prepaid etc?

Thank you.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

This is primarily customer to customer forum. CS rep may chime in her in a few hour or few days. As I said even if it does use data you have to get 5 hours of VMs day every day to use 1 GB in a month

0 Likes
tomseys
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks boringusername.

I'm just trying to get confirmation if it uses it or not. Some people who use prepaid or mnvos for example may not even have 1GB of data available.

That's why I'm trying to get a handle on whether it does or doesn't. I'm sure if it does its a  very small amount of data.. it's not like you are downloading a full HD movie... but I just want to know if it does at all.

It states in the FAQ that VVM can incur data charges but doesn't state how or what conditions. It is a little more descriptive about HD Video Volte calls for example, stating the video can use around 8mb a minute (going by memory). It doesn't offer anything like that for VVM no matter how small. It's vague.

0 Likes