Re: Very slow speeds on Verizon Prepaid Vs Postpaid.
rcschnoor
Legend

Postpaid customers do not get a network extender built in to their plan. Even if they did, a network extender has to connect to your home's broadband provider and would only give you a boost in signal inside your home. Once you left your home, you are back on the Verizon network and subject to the limitations of that network.

The main difference between pre-paid and post-paid is the priority of your throughput. Post-paid customers would get higher priority than pre-paid, probably even those post-paid customers with a plan which allows re-prioritization. While you are using the same network, post-paid customers are allowed in the "fast lane" while pre-paid customers are not when there is network congestion. As a result, you speed may be affected.

0 Likes
Pineda922
Enthusiast - Level 1

You’re wrong! Verizon prepaid gets the lowest tier of coverage. I’ve been a long time Verizon postpaid customer and always loved my service, then decided to give prepaid a try to save a few bucks, and now people with metro, boost, cricket, t-mobile, you name it all kick me to the curb. This is the worst service ever! Even music streaming has been impossible without buffering 4-5 times though one song. Plus Verizon lies, and tells you it’s the same coverage. Silly me for believing it. The part you are right about, is “you get what you pay for”!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pineda922, assistance is here as your business means the world to us as the last thing we want is for you to be unhappy with us or feel that we have lied to you. We strive to always provide you only the best in service and never want your trust for us to be questioned. Our services whether prepaid or postpaid are designed to provide the same great service across the board. Tell me more about your current plan. Which plan do you have? Which music application are you using? What is your device make/model? 

NatashaR_VZW

0 Likes
Crystal-Gold-Wireless

Please note that unlimited Prepaid users are paying practically the same as Postpaid users. Normally a $10 or $5 difference.

0 Likes
Crystal-Gold-Wireless

I'm not lying but TommyBoy is correct. Prepaid is throttled. It's not even a $10 difference in price. Why?

0 Likes
rempson
Contributor - Level 1

I have been with Verizon since 2006.  Last year, I decided to switch to prepaid after being assured that it was "the same network" with "same speeds".  Which it can be.  I live in a rural area and after testing prepaid speeds, I was pretty happy.   However, we went to an event on July 4th and I tried to use my Internet and a page would not load at all.  It was very crowded and I realized what it means to be "kicked to the end of the line" for Internet Service.  After less than two weeks on prepaid,  I switched back to postpaid.  It's worth the extra $10 for sure. 

jbeowolf

The difference isn’t about prioritizing data between post pay and prepay. You pay less because you do get less on prepay. You have to buy the phone outright, and post paid can get it financed monthly through the carrier.  Post paid also can have accessories on the plan, like a watch tethered to the same number. It does not say anywhere that they prioritize post pay over prepay, so if you are right they have been falsely advertising their plans. There is only mention of data throttling once you reached your data limit, but before that it says you get 4LTE.

0 Likes
Abbymo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I experienced the exact same thing.  I was on post paid, switched and noticed an immediate difference;  I am irate.  This rediculous!  Same as the other user I have been with Verizon for a decade!  Very upset and disappointed 

Mxg14ec
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you look into the fine print on their plans (I did this when I first opened my account), it said reduced speeds with congestion. It basically means something along the lines of prioritization taking place when it comes to data usage. What I take this to mean is that data "goes" to those with gig specific plans first, then unlimited plans. If someone is only paying for 5 gigs a month, Verizon would want to ensure that those 5 gigs do not disappoint (otherwise they won't go back to add more for the month, or keep the plan for the next month). Then the rest is split amongst the unlimited users in a fairly balanced manner, until 22 gigs is reached - then it breaks down again and those with less than 22g will have faster speed than those that have hit the 22g specification. Of course, these are not really issues until there is a large group of people on the same network trying to use data. I.E. people in more rural locations won't run into this issue as much (if they have signal to begin with). I feel prepaid has more issues because there is no possibility of a "gotcha" in the bill, should something happen... this would then put them in the same group (but just below "importance") of people that have used more than the 22g unlimited in congested areas.

vtcomics
Enthusiast - Level 1

We switched to Pre Paid a couple monehts ago and it is ok some days but on weekends it is almost worthless.  I find it funny how the responses from Verizon on this thread always skirt the issue by refsing to come right out and say POSTPAID GETS FIRST COME SERVICE FROM THE TRAFFIC AND PREPAID FALLS AFTE .  Very deceitful in my opinion.  Just tell the truth!

0 Likes