Re: Very slow data if any at all
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes, it's rather counter-intuitive that a limited plan will provide faster speeds.

One of the issues here is even if the user has GoUnlimited, how is the tower so "congested" at all times of the day and night, that they are virtually always prioritized out of any meaningful service? How could one even utilize any significant bandwidth, if say the congestion dissipates between 4 and 4:30am?

VZW is using very imprecise terminology which cannot be known objectively, and incorrectly at that.

Besides the use of the term "Unlimited"... which is meaningless, because even if the user could utilize maximum throughput for the available technology - bits transferred in one month would be finite...

In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.

What are those times, what does congestion objectively mean, what is the probability associated with "may be", what is the meaning (exactly) of temporarily, and what does slower mean objectively?

Video streams at typically 480p.

There's no streaming at all at the speeds these people are encountering. Video? Simple web pages won't load. Probabilistically then, what does the word typically mean? And if not at 480p, then what? BTW, 480p is a frame resolution not a speed, but "streams at" implies a speed. These are really being used inappropriately. We've all experienced "buffering" on some service... are you effectively streaming anything at any given resolution in those situations?

Unlimited hotspot (600kbps).

That is what is called a useless hotspot. Verizon may have removed the words "up to". Speeds for hotspot use may very well fail to even reach 600kbps. If they were constant at 600kbps, that wouldn't be an effective hotspot for any connected device, under any reasonable usage scenario.

You just have to feel for the customers, right?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

stef7 wrote:

Yes, it's rather counter-intuitive that a limited plan will provide faster speeds.

In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.

You just have to feel for the customers, right?

I'm not disagreeing with you, at all.  In fact, I Have the same concerns about the language and the way the Go Unlimited is being advertised and implemented.  Go Unlmited data is lower ont he priority pole than my 4GB plan?  Even though they pay more?  What "other traffic" gets priority?

If, in fact, ADPW1980 is on the Go Unlimited, it could explain the data speeds that seem slow all the time.  Go Unlimited basically gets NO data guaranteed at 4G LTE speeds.  If I'm reading the FAQ correctly. And hotspot at 600Kbps from the get go is not worth anything.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Yep. It's completely counter-intuitive.

There is the possibility(?) that they are rolling out the infrastructure to actually do the prioritizing based on some congestion criteria and haven't fully implemented it as intended yet.

I'm at a loss.

0 Likes
ADPW1980
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is no place in particular.  As an Uber driver, I drive all over in the big city.  I'm either driving in Colorado Springs or in Denver and I am constantly losing data service, causing me to lose rides and not get paid. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to stay connected ADPW1980. Many of our customers greatly depend on our network and we take its performance seriously. You mentioned the changes began once you changed plans. Can you tell us which of our plans are you using? There is Go Unlimited and Beyond Unlimited. This information will help us be more effective.BobbyN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ADPW1980
Enthusiast - Level 2

Go Unlimited is the plan we are trying to use.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yep, it's the GoUnlimited plan people are finding results in slow data. I personally think VZW hasn't gotten their network implementation matched correctly with their description to the public. I wager if you switched to BeyondUnlimited, or to a Limited plan, you wouldn't experience the problems you are currently experiencing with Data.

0 Likes
LMR9893

I’m so frustrated with Verizon‘s data speeds. If it continues I’m changing carriers. We went on the unlimited plan a few months ago and it’s terrible now. Have an iPhone X but didn’t help the speed at all. So disappointed in Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi LMR9893,

We definitely don't want to lose you, and I would like to help you with this. What zip code are you in? Is this an indoors issue, or is it happening in different areas? When did it begin?

ChristinaB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DougMac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm done.  I have HomeFusion and have had overages the last two months. I changed from 40gig to 50 gig and still went over  We don't stream or game. I turn off all computers when not in use.  It is the Homefusion device that is sucking up the bandwidth.

i almost jumped to the very expensive unlimited plan. Luckily I did some research and discovered the HomeFusion device is now considered a hotspot. It would have been a disaster.

After checking with friends and neighbor, we've decided to go with Hughesnet satellite internet.  The new generation is far better from everything I've read.  We are cutting back our Verizon plan to the bare minimum.

If you are a Verizon rep planning to express your "concern", save it. Better yet, stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  The public has been furious for months, yet Verizon has done nothing to change the situation. KMA

0 Likes