Very slow 4G speeds
Sryder32

We used to have decent upload and download speeds on 4G. Just last month, we had 18 down and 6 up for example. Signal strength about 3 bars. But then it suddenly dropped to under 2mbps each, same signal strength.

We added an antennae on the roof and have tried pointing it at the different towers in our rural area. We can get 3 bars signal strength but speed tests are consistently .5 download and .2 upload. This is unusable really.

We've driven around to other towns and have excellent speeds. 

Our zip code is 27562. Yes, it's rural, but it should still work. Our area has no high speed internet option....only DSL from CenturyLink and they're actually turning down new accounts even for that. Does the cell tower need to be upgraded? How to request a review of the tower? We're desperate for a solution.

Shelly

0 Likes
Re: Very slow 4G speeds
bearone21
Legend

antenna on the roof...what was the antenna connect to?

5-12mbps is the best you'll see on the network, suggest you add wi-fi + wi-fi extender.

0 Likes
Sryder32

Hi bearone21. The antennae is connected to a MoFi router with an unlimited plan SIM card installed. I once tried a WiFi extender, but that connects to our (very lame) CenturyLink router which is only DSL service. That's kind of the opposite of what we want to do. 

There is a cell tower about 2.5 miles from our house. Even standing right next to that tower (we drove to it), we get horrible speedtests on 4G. As if the tower is not working, or Verizon service isn't on that tower...not sure. All other towers are 8 miles or more from our house.

I'm wondering why we USED TO have very good 4G speeds from our house only a month ago (about 15 up and 6 down), and now it's terrible. Is there a way to report a problem with a tower, or overall lack of coverage in an area?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

A) what type of antenna. You do know Verion frequnecies have vastly different ranges

B) Wireless is not meant to be a home Internet replacement. Doesn't matter if you're rural if a lot of Verizon customers in your area are trying to use Verizon as home Internet like you

0 Likes
Sryder32

Boringusername -- do you work for Verizon? Suddenly today, the Mofi router has been booted off the Verizon network. The timing is suspicious...

0 Likes
mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

Which Unlimited Plan are you on?  Some of them prioritize your speeds after a line as reached 22GB or more, and some plans prioritize all lines on your account once the sum of all devices on the account have reached 22GB.  For example, I'm on the New Verizon Unlimited Plan which gives each device on my account their own separate 22GB of high speed before being prioritized.  The most recent Unlimited plans will start prioritizing you once the account has reached 22GB or higher, so I could have used 2GB and my parent's could have used say 30GB, I would be prioritized because the sum total of the account has passed 22GB even though I have only used 2GB on my device.  Unfortunately, the new unlimited verizon plan is no longer available.  But I do feel your pain because my LTE speeds are incredibly slow even way before i reach my 22GB of guaranteed high speed.  Often times I am lucky to get more than 2-3MBPS download speeds way before the 22GB.  AT&T speeds seem much faster in my area but their coverage isn't as good.  I'm also in a rural area.  I'm often on a 3G tower or 1X and though I can't use much or any data when on those towers, I can still call and text.  Verizon is turning off all the 3G towers by the end of 2019, and at that point i expect Verizon's coverage to drop to that of AT&T and might consider switching companies to something cheaper with equal coverage.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Sryder32 wrote:

Boringusername -- do you work for Verizon? Suddenly today, the Mofi router has been booted off the Verizon network. The timing is suspicious...

A) No  I don't work for Verizon. this is a customer to cusotmer forum not customer service

B) You didn't answer my questions

C) Remove the tin foil hat.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Sryder32,

I've read your other messages, and I'm sorry to learn of any issues in your area (27562). I'm eager to assist you, as I'm not showing any reported issues in this location. Tell me, are you aware of any other VZW customers having the same experience, or is it happening only with your account? What differences do you notice if checking speeds when outdoors vs. indoors? You can check your speeds quickly and easily in the My Verizon application. Here are the steps: http://spr.ly/6606EgJNp Please provide these specifics, thanks in advance. 

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes