Verizon voicemail not working for a few years :(
malloc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

My Verizon voicemail hasn't been working for a few years Smiley Sad

I think it started when I upgraded my phone from an iPhone 5S to an iPhone 6, but I've got a few new phones since then (it's been many years) and that hasn't fixed it.

When I dial *86, I get prompted to enter a voicemail box number, and when I enter my phone number (with or without the leading '1') I am told this is not a valid mailbox.

I also tried calling my phone number from another phone and pressing '#' when the ringing stops, as suggested by someone on this forum. That too told me this was not a valid voicemail box number and asked me to enter one.

I've pretty much given up on using voicemail at this point (been living without it for years) but is it possible that someone here could help me? A long time ago, I tried the phone customer service, but they did everything they could and couldn't fix it. In the end they offered to send me a new phone and said it was a device issue – I was pretty sure I wasn't, so I  declined that offer. And that's been borne out by my experience, because the problem hasn't gone away despite having changed phones a few times since.

Thanks!

A

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon voicemail not working for a few years :(
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Sounds like there is something seriously wrong with the voice mail feature on your account.  You should call 800-922-0204 or *611 and have them escalate it with a ticket.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Over the 'years', have you tried initializing/setting password for your mailbox as explained in 2017 Voicemail Service Update | Verizon Wireless .

1. Call *86 (*VM) from your phone.
    • If you hear a system greeting, press # (Pound key) immediately to interrupt it.
  2. Follow the instructions to choose your language options, then press # to confirm your choice.
    • Press 1 for English, then press the # to confirm.
  3. When prompted, enter a 4-7 digit password, then press #.
  4. You've successfully set up your new voicemail service.
0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

If calling customer service does not fix it I would visit an Apple store.

iPhone voicemail is handled by Apple servers.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Does *86 on an iPhone go to an Apple Server????  I guess the question is, what voicemail service is malloc​ using and having issues with?

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You know. I don't know where *86 goes. I do know that when I had an issue with my voicemail on my iPhone recently it was not able to be fixed by Verizon. All they can do is delete and re-add the feature.

Mine happened to be an issue with the OS and was fixed easily.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You have dealt with this way too long A M. I have sent you a private message so we can get to the bottom of this for you. I can understand how annoyed you must be for dealing with this for so long. I look forward to fixing this for you.

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@AmberF_VZW, If you solve malloc​'s issue I hope you'll post the solution here so those of us following will have our curiosity satisfied.

0 Likes
malloc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Joe, I've tried that and as I mentioned the CS rep was unable to fix it and offered to send me a new device (which I declined), and the issue hasn't gone away even though I've upgraded my phone a few times since then).

0 Likes
malloc
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I mentioned, when I call voicemail and interrupt, I am asked to enter "the" (not "my") mailbox number. When I do, the system tells me that is not a valid mailbox number.

0 Likes