Re: Verizon sold my old phone to someone else with my info still on it!!
katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

the manager asked me what he could do to make me happy.  I told him I was too upset at the moment to think about it so I have to call him back.  My question is:  What would YOU tell him would make YOU happy in this situation?

0 Likes
msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

Do not take anything from the manager. Get a lawyer and sue Verizon for violations of your privacy rights.

And don't let the Verizon cheerleaders tell you that you are at fault for not doing the clean up yourself. They have nothing.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually Verizon had nothing to do with the phone not getting reset and sold as new. It is the authorized retailer's responsibility for not following through and reselling a used device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

Do you understand the "authorized" part? With your logic, Verizon has no obligation to provide any services to anyone buying phones at a third party retailer.

Either way, there is an entity that can be sued.

0 Likes
Not applicable

msturgis wrote:

Do not take anything from the manager. Get a lawyer and sue Verizon for violations of your privacy rights.

And don't let the Verizon cheerleaders tell you that you are at fault for not doing the clean up yourself. They have nothing.

I hope you are being sarcastic. Yes the store should have done a factory reset just in case. And yes it was wrong to sell a used phone as new. That's a problem between the lady who got sold a "new phone and the Verizon store. Not the OP. The OP could have avoided this very easily by doing a reset himself.

0 Likes
Not applicable

katsntx001 wrote:

I have no idea how to do that.  As I am not a teckie, that was my first smart phone.  I asked them about my information being on it and the guy assured me that it would be reset right away.   I realize now that I SHOULD' have done it, although I don't know how to, but they had a RESPONSIBILTY to do it. 

Then I suggest not getting a smartphone until you know how to use it properly. It never ceases to amaze me that people buy  pieces of technology then remain willfully ignorant on even the most basic operations of said device.

And yo don't need to be a "techie"

tap SETTINGS then tap BACK AND REST then tap FACTORY DATA RESET

real complicated there. Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson. What if you had kept the phone and later sold it or given it to someone? Wouldn't it be YOUR responsibility to do a reset anyway?

0 Likes
Not applicable

msturgis wrote:

Do you understand the "authorized" part? With your logic, Verizon has no obligation to provide any services to anyone buying phones at a third party retailer.

Either way, there is an entity that can be sued.

What will that accomplish? Except causing the person using to spend money on lawyers they don't have?

0 Likes
katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kind of hard to learn a new device until you GET the new device!  And for someone who has never had one, it takes time to figure it all out.  And I HATED that phone!  I absolutely could not type on that screen so it slowed down my learning curve.   I LOVE my DROID4 with the keyboard.

tracyby
Enthusiast - Level 2

Call your local Attorney Generals office. See if they can help you.

0 Likes
clki

What I would do in your situation:

1.) Report the store to the Better Business Bureau in hopes that they can save other potential victims.

2.) Report the store to VZW corporate for same reason and to get them UN-authorized.

3.) Return your phone (after doing a factory reset!) to the store, get a full refund of any money that you spent, and go to a REAL Verizon retail store to get another phone (or do it online- sometimes you get better deals and you always get free next day shipping!).

0 Likes