Re: Verizon sold my old phone to someone else with my info still on it!!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would suggest that you monitor your credit reports, if you aren't already; even though it's been a few months and nothing has happened, it could

jondal
Contributor - Level 1

I would sue.e2  your info is not to be shared like your SS# that is a big probelm and 2 vzw is not allowed to sell a used phone that you did not want as new  the really should have sent it off to the warehouse

i would get sue for a large sum 50,000 or higher

and get whatever phone you want

and get very very discounted service

msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with you on this count - People should not get a smartphone without realizing that it can be beyond their abilities to fully master the device. I think majority of the smartphone users are NOT qualified to carry a smartphone.

But you can't blame the customers for this. Verizon pressures its salespeople IMMENSELY to sell smartphones to anything that breathes, just for the data revenue. At the same time, Verizon has limited the number of non-smartphones to a minimum. So what choices do the customers have?

I have a friend who works at a corp. Verizon store - and he told me that his manager had asked the reps to lie to the customers who ask for a basic phone - to tell them the store is out of basic phones or to go online and buy basic phones so that it doesn't hurt the smartphone sales ratio of his store - can you freaking believe it?

Not applicable

jondal wrote:

I would sue.e2  your info is not to be shared like your SS# that is a big probelm and 2 vzw is not allowed to sell a used phone that you did not want as new  the really should have sent it off to the warehouse

i would get sue for a large sum 50,000 or higher

and get whatever phone you want

and get very very discounted service

I hope that's a joke. Fact is at best a jury would find him 50% responsible since he had the ability to delete this info himself. As a juror I would.

0 Likes
Not applicable

clki wrote:

What I would do in your situation:

1.) Report the store to the Better Business Bureau in hopes that they can save other potential victims.

2.) Report the store to VZW corporate for same reason and to get them UN-authorized.

3.) Return your phone (after doing a factory reset!)

If he done #3 the FIRST time he would have avoided all of this.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You want to do a reset even on a flip phone. How long have those been out? Really quit making excuses. If one doesn't know the information is online.

0 Likes
Not applicable

msturgis, it doesn't matter what pressure. Do people have a gun to their head? Are their families being held hostage? No. One can simply walk out the door. I never let a salesperson try to sweet talk me. This goes for ANY store. As soon as they do I put the breaks on. If they keep it up I tell them to go F themselves ( and yes I do say that ) you'd be surprised at how well that works.

Also once someone gets a device they should learn how to use it correctly. Why is that a bad thing to ask of someone?

Everyone is "victim" these days and the answer is to sue the big bad evil company. Well if you think you're always a victim you always will be. If you think you're a victim you think you have no control. when in fact you do. If more people took personal responsibility instead of playing the victim, these companies might actually change their ways.

As you stated these companies play on the fact that most customers remain blissfully and willfully ignorant. And it's kind of hard for me to feel sorry for a person that does that. A little knowledge can go a long way in preventing from being ripped off. But that's too hard for people, that requires work. Better to get the government to do something about it. They won't by the way.

katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, just to be clear.  I'm not an idiot.  I had that phone for maybe 3 weeks.  I had difficultly typing on it so didn't delve into it much since I knew pretty quickly I would be taking it back. Since getting my DROID4 I have learned it very well. 

0 Likes
katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everyone is "victim" these days and the answer is to sue the big bad evil company. Well if you think you're always a victim you always will be. If you think you're a victim you think you have no control. when in fact you do. If more people took personal responsibility instead of playing the victim, these companies might actually change their ways.

Seems to me that if I accepted this as MY problem and didn't stand up for my rights, then Verizon continues to go their merry way and do this to other unsuspecting consumers. 

budone
Legend

VZW did not do this, some private 3rd party reseller did

0 Likes