Re: Verizon's recycle program is an example of the classic "bait & switch"
bkomanet
Enthusiast - Level 2

I contacted the Recycle program on the 22nd, and they credited me the $ they owed me because of their mistake on the 25th.  But, on the 26th,  I received a very unprofessional and nearly insulting email from them that I should have checked my email before writing these posts.  Well, I wrote these posts on the 23rd, they didn't credit me until the 25th, so how could I have done this?  Whoever is managing the recycle program for Verizon needs a lesson in basic management, organization and customer service.  What a disaster.

0 Likes
LoyalCustomer233
Enthusiast - Level 1

Should have read your story first... I have submitted by 4s that is in perfect, like new, condition and it has been 5 weeks with not word on its receipt for value. I'll be leaving Verizon after 13 years.

igovirginmobile
Contributor - Level 1

Why would Verizon do anything more than take your money without giving a fair value? Until subscribers leave in droves and their CEO and VP's start taking a hit to their pocket, nothing will change. My personal advice is throw your phone out the window and give Verizon not one more thin dime.

0 Likes
cher523

I'm leaving after 10 years. Gave me $18 for my iPhone 4 because they say the 'find my phone' app is active on the phone which is not true. I followed their instructions to clear the phone to factory status and it was before I sent it in. 

0 Likes
Poshlee
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I am sort of glad to hear I am not the only person having this ridiculous issue. I have been a Verizon customer for, I don't even know how long - at LEAST 10 years. I was very hesitant to return my 64GB iPhone 4S which was in perfect condition. Usually I just keep my old phones for either my daughter to watch movies on or in case I lose my current phone I have a backup. This time since the phone was in such GREAT condition (no knicks, cracks, scratches), and well I still have my previous iPhone 4 in working condition I went on the verizon recycle program and saw that I could trade in my 4s for $220! I figured it was in such amazing condition and thats a great price for the phone, so heck I ordered up the swap. I received my packaging, wiped my phone, turned off my "find my iPhone" ap and sent my phone off.

I didn't hear ANYTHING from Verizon. I called up and spoke to a CS rep a month later and they said they had no record of it. Anyway today I found the device recycling # on this forum (877-247-3846) and spoke with a lady who said they did send me an email regarding the credit. I was able to find the email in my massive amount of spam that I receive daily (and quite honestly I was expecting an actual gift card in the mail) - and luckily she on the phone when I saw the email for the first time, b/c if I had seen it on my own I may have gone crazy. I was SHOCKED to see that the appraised value of $220 was knocked down to $39.01. Why you ask? Oh because the device "didn't power on". Absolutely absurd. Also the email didn't say anything about the device not powering on - it was like "HERES YOUR SUPER LOW CREDIT - BUY MORE VERIZON STUFF." SO... If the phone did not turn on, I would have not said that it turned on. If I were going to know that this ANNOYANCE would have happened I would have just kept the phone. They escalated the "ticket" and I won't hear anything for 7-10 days (and I'll likely have to call back - I'm SURE). (PS what the heck is the .01 cent for? LIke that would possibly make you LESS mad?!?)

Anyway this is a HUGE SCAM and I really do advise people to sell their phones elsewhere. I have heard a lot of people who havent been ripped off on gazelle and also selling on Craigslist. I just hate selling on Craigslist if I can avoid it, you never know when you will have a creep respond to you who just wants to potentially murder you (the only thing slightly worse than receiving $39.01 for a new phone.)

Bottom line: if this is not resolved correctly I will surely be leaving Verizon when my contract is up. I already am questioning their raising prices and vanishing data plans that never seem to be enough despite the same usage each month.

tcgty
Enthusiast - Level 3

In my opinion, trading-in older smartphones is not really a good deal. You get more money selling it than trading it. But selling it just be sure to erase everything that is saved on the smartphone; reset to factory default.

0 Likes
PBUTTN

It is such a shame that so many people have this problem in common.

My major complaint is that I never received an email stating that there was any issues at all with the 4s I sent in to the buy back recycle program. When I went to the web site to obtain a status I was not able to pull up any info with the submission ID,phone number or email address. I had to call 1-877-247-3826 to obtain any info at all, And only to find out that they reported the phone had scratches and that the Iphone settings had not been disabled. The phone was checked over by three different people prior to mailing and the problems reported were not as stated.The web site estimated the value at $150.00 and the end result was $0.00.Of course the phone had already been recycled so there is nothing to do but dispute the claim. Now where do you think that will take me?

I have been a loyal Verizon customer for 20 + years and have  all my home services with this company.I guess when my contract expires it is best to check out other options

0 Likes
Kissy-Kiss

You are very lucky, I tried to do the same and the CSR explained that  the trade -in department is another department and they were not responsible for them.  I asked for a supervisor and he was worst than the CSR, he reiterated all that the trade in program said about my device and why I was only getting paid the $19 dollars.  When I asked for his name, he gave it to me, yet he would say, that he tried to help, but I was not satisfied with his response.

0 Likes