Verizon's recycle program is an example of the classic "bait & switch"
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife & I each had the iPhone 4S and decided to upgrade both to the 5S.  I took the phones to the local VZW brick & mortar store and was told the 5S was unavailable at that time due to being back ordered & heavy demand.  They appraised the two 4S at the store for $135 trade-in value and made a few comments on what great shape both phones were in.  We had screen protectors and outer cases installed the day we got the 4S' and treated them with care.

I explained that when I checked the recycle program at VZW.com, I was given a $200 value for each phone.  The rep at the store told me that was a limited time promotion and wouldn't be available for long.  He recommended I order the new 5S iPhones online and take advantage of the $200 recycle offer.

I ordered the two iPhone 5S' on VZW.com September 25th with the knowledge that they would not ship until Oct 21st.

Knowing that the recycle program had to receive my two 4S' within 30 days of submitting the recycle requests, I waited until Oct 3rd process the recycle requests online.  I was sent two emails from VZW, each proclaiming the trade in value of the iPhone 4S' as $200.

I received my two recycle envelopes from Verizon on October 8th and set them aside in a safe place until we received our new two new iPhone 5S.

On October 15th, I received an email notification from VZW that the two new 5S' had shipped.  I received them on Oct 17th and promptly activated them that night.

Also on Oct 17th, I deleted all the data from from both iPhone 4S and performed "Erase all Content and Settings".  I should also note that we never upgraded either phone to iOS7.  I left the two 4S plugged into the A/C chargers overnight.

On the morning of Oct 18th, I unplugged both iPhone 4S' and powered them off.  I followed the instructions to place them in their individual green ziplock bags and then into the individual US Mail envelopes provided previously by VZW.  On my way to work, I stopped at the local Post Office and placed them in the Dropbox inside the Post Office.

Today, Friday, October 25th, I received two electronic Gift card notifications from VZW at 5:42AM.  The value of each gift card was $131.

I did not receive any communication from VZW stating why I received $131 instead of the appraised value of $200 each.

At 8AM on Oct 25th, I called the VZW device Recycling Program at 1-877-247-3846.  After providing my two submission ID's, my email address, and my phone number, I was told that I should have received an email stating why I did not get the $200 appraised value for each iPhone.  The rep said their system had not been updated since the gift cards were just sent out this morning and she could not look up what the explanation was on my account.  I was given the choice to either call back later this afternoon or escalate the request to "support" and someone would call me back later today.

I decided to google the VZW device recycling program and the top 10 hits were from this forum where many other VZW customers were complaining about receiving gift cards for much less than their original appraised value.

My two iPhone 4S' were in EXCELLENT shape.  They both worked perfectly.  No problems powering on, no cracks or scratches in the glass, all the buttons worked, no water damage, and I followed the return instructions EXACTLY as they were described.

If my issue is not corrected by increasing my recycle amount to the appraised $200 each, I will be filing a complaint with the NYS Division of Consumer Protection at http://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/

It is apparent mine is not an isolated case and that many others are victims of VZW's bait & switch tactics.

Shame on you, Verizon Wireless, for treating your customers in such an unprofessional manner.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon's recycle program is an example of the classic "bait & switch"
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am very happy to report that VZW has agreed to refund my account the $69 x 2 = $138 difference between the $200 appraised value and $131 gift card received for each phone.

I ended up calling Verizon Customer Service by dialing 611 on my mobile phone and spoke to a representative by the name of Jasmine, who works in Idaho.

Jasmine let me vent about my experience with the Device Recycle program (explained in detail above).  I was very professional in my explanation, did not use vulgar or abusive language, and just stated the facts. She apologized and said this was the first call of this type she had dealt with.  I mentioned there are many other similar experiences documented in the Verizon Wireless Community Forums.   Jasmine stated that the appraised value I was given by the Recycle Program should have been a guaranteed value, unless the phones that were received were not in the condition I entered when I submitted my information at the Recycle Program website.  She noted that my account listed the correspondence with MatthewS_VZW (see above).   She asked if she could put me on hold while she reviewed my account in further detail, which I agreed to.

When Jasmine came back on the line, she indicated she looked into the Recycle program and found there is no way to escalate the case further to dispute the refund amount.  She noted that I have been a customer for 11 years and have never been late on a payment, so she (and her supervisor) are making a "judgement call", based on my account history, and applying a $138 credit to my account.  ($138 = $69 x 2 iPhone 4S)

I asked if she could confirm this refund with some sort of correspondence and she said she would send me a text message indicating a $138 refund was applied to my account.  See screenshot below:

EC_VZW_0-1659720758812.png

Needless to say, I am pleased with the result and the cordial, professional manner in which I was treated by Jasmine.

What I am disappointed with is the fact I spent several hours of my time trying to rectify an issue I shouldn't of had to deal with in the first place.  Also, after contacting the Recycle Program directly and being told I would receive a return call later in the day, I never was contacted again.

A few minutes after I got off the phone with Jasmine, I received an automated call from VZW, asking me to rate my customer service experience.  I was asked two questions:

1. How would I rate the customer service representative I dealt with on a scale of 0 (terrible) to 10 (excellent)?  I entered 10
  2. How likely would I be to recommend Verizon Wireless to someone else?  I entered a 7

I was then given the opportunity to leave a verbal explanation regarding why I entered a "7" for question #2.  I explained that I while I was thoroughly satisfied with Jasmine's performance, I was disappointed with the fact I had to aggressively pursue a resolution to this matter after receiving no satisfaction with my initial Recycling Program contact.

My advice to others in this situation would be to call Verizon Wireless Customer Service directly by dialing 611 on your mobile phone.  Explain your situation without raising your voice nor using vulgar language.  Maybe you will receive the same excellent service that Jasmine provided to me.

View solution in original post

ouneday
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would also recommend BBB and your Attorney General.  It sounds like the Recycling Program was outsourced by Verizon.  Many, many people have been affected just like you.  Unfortunately Verizon doesn't appear to be aware or concerned about the program... 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi markpys,

My upmost apologies for the issues relating to your recent device recycle. We would be delighted to take a closer look into this and provide a resolution. For additional assistance please follow me MatthewS_VZW and then DM me with your mobile number and the last four of the account holders SSN, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a screen shot of the "check status" page of VZW's website:  No reason given for lowering the value of my phone from the $200 appraised to the $131 "final trade in value".

Also, I attempted to follow MatthewS_VZW and am waiting for a response.

EC_VZW_0-1659720576614.png

0 Likes
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your response.  I will pursue those avenues if I do not get the proper response and resolution from VZW.

0 Likes
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

I followed MatthewS' instructions by following him and sending him a direct message with my mobile number and last 4 SSN.

He did reply within a few minutes, but did not resolve my issue nor provide any additional information.

(Support transcript removed)

As noted in my original post above, I already contacted the "Recycle Team" and was told they would call me later in the day.  Well, guess what....No Call!

Looks like I will have to elevate this on my own. 

Support transcript removed by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like VZW outsourced the Recycle Program, as others have mentioned.

Support transcript removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
bwsch2003
Enthusiast - Level 2

Pure and simple we have all been victims of Verizon Trade in Program.  Verizon has no plans on investigating this issue that we all are experiencing.  When you call in to the trade in program to discuss the reduced value they have now deemed your device they take your information and say that someone will call you back... however that never happens.  All of the reply posts in many of the online forums by the Verizon Tech Support never resolve the issue. Their posts are naïve in response to this ongoing issue. When they reach out to you they do not get back to you. We all submitted our devices under the assumption that they would clearly evaluate them.  We all expected our perfected in good working order devices to be evaluated for the value that we agreed to when chose to us this form of device trade in. We know that if the device does not work then we will get a lower value.  However we were not given the opportunity to challenge the appraisal they came back with.  We entered into a contract with Verizon when we submitted our devices.  We provide accurate information and then sent away our phones.  Other companies offer to ship your device back to you at your own expense.  However Verizon does not provide this option.  I believe this is to keep you from finding out the truth. 

Simple contact law states the following:

"Contracts are promises that the law will enforce. The law provides remedies if a promise is breached or recognizes the performance of a promise as a duty. Contracts arise when a duty does or may come into existence, because of a promise made by one of the parties. To be legally binding as a contract, a promise must be exchanged for adequate consideration."

This problem is gaining momentum…… If you have reached this forum you are not alone. 

0 Likes
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am very happy to report that VZW has agreed to refund my account the $69 x 2 = $138 difference between the $200 appraised value and $131 gift card received for each phone.

I ended up calling Verizon Customer Service by dialing 611 on my mobile phone and spoke to a representative by the name of Jasmine, who works in Idaho.

Jasmine let me vent about my experience with the Device Recycle program (explained in detail above).  I was very professional in my explanation, did not use vulgar or abusive language, and just stated the facts. She apologized and said this was the first call of this type she had dealt with.  I mentioned there are many other similar experiences documented in the Verizon Wireless Community Forums.   Jasmine stated that the appraised value I was given by the Recycle Program should have been a guaranteed value, unless the phones that were received were not in the condition I entered when I submitted my information at the Recycle Program website.  She noted that my account listed the correspondence with MatthewS_VZW (see above).   She asked if she could put me on hold while she reviewed my account in further detail, which I agreed to.

When Jasmine came back on the line, she indicated she looked into the Recycle program and found there is no way to escalate the case further to dispute the refund amount.  She noted that I have been a customer for 11 years and have never been late on a payment, so she (and her supervisor) are making a "judgement call", based on my account history, and applying a $138 credit to my account.  ($138 = $69 x 2 iPhone 4S)

I asked if she could confirm this refund with some sort of correspondence and she said she would send me a text message indicating a $138 refund was applied to my account.  See screenshot below:

EC_VZW_0-1659720758812.png

Needless to say, I am pleased with the result and the cordial, professional manner in which I was treated by Jasmine.

What I am disappointed with is the fact I spent several hours of my time trying to rectify an issue I shouldn't of had to deal with in the first place.  Also, after contacting the Recycle Program directly and being told I would receive a return call later in the day, I never was contacted again.

A few minutes after I got off the phone with Jasmine, I received an automated call from VZW, asking me to rate my customer service experience.  I was asked two questions:

1. How would I rate the customer service representative I dealt with on a scale of 0 (terrible) to 10 (excellent)?  I entered 10
  2. How likely would I be to recommend Verizon Wireless to someone else?  I entered a 7

I was then given the opportunity to leave a verbal explanation regarding why I entered a "7" for question #2.  I explained that I while I was thoroughly satisfied with Jasmine's performance, I was disappointed with the fact I had to aggressively pursue a resolution to this matter after receiving no satisfaction with my initial Recycling Program contact.

My advice to others in this situation would be to call Verizon Wireless Customer Service directly by dialing 611 on your mobile phone.  Explain your situation without raising your voice nor using vulgar language.  Maybe you will receive the same excellent service that Jasmine provided to me.

Mattlax10

I did the same as you Thursday evening 10/24.  Customer Service rep Matt listened very carefully and was very nice.  He talked it over with his superior and said he had to go through some steps to get my credit approved.  He told me he would get back to me within 24 hours.  When he did, he said no one would approve it.  He sent an escalation request directly to the Recycling Program on my behalf and also an email to Senior Management to alert them to the growing number of complaints in this regard.  As if they don't know.  

0 Likes