Verizon's lies regarding Military Discounts
proudmamatobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let me tell you all about my most recent experience with Verizon Wireless and perhaps you could give some advice to this VZM customer of nearly 15 YEARS.

It started on July 15th 2015 when I went to a local VZW store to discuss upgrading my husband’s basic cell phone to a fairly simple smartphone. We wanted to least amount of data possible without a “pay as you go” option. The 500 MB More Everything Plan itself would be $20 per month plus $20 for my basic cell phone line access and another $25 for my husband’s new smartphone plus the $7 required every month to basically “rent to own” the new smartphone. Before taxes we are looking at $72 per month. Knowing that taxes and Verizon’s arbitrary “fees” would increase my previously $57/month bill to almost $90 because of the area we live in I inquired to VZW about other ways to lower my monthly bill. Another point to make is that we are now locked into a 2-year contract because of the smartphone, facing early termination fees up to $350. Clearly, I wanted to be sure my husband was going to like the phone and that we could afford the bill every month. I am now unemployed as I wait for my first child to born and my husband to deploy for a second time in two years with the Army. Because of all of this, I asked via online chat with Customer Service Representative Erin D. in no uncertain terms how we could get a military discount to work for us. She said, “We certainly do offer military discounts. We offer a 15% discount.” I know how these things work, so I asked additional questions to be sure: “Is it 15 percent off the entire bill, is it before or after tax, or is it 15 percent of only a portion of the bill?” Erin D. exclaimed, “Yes that is correct! It is off the total bill, so taxes included.” I was somewhat surprised by this, but thought, she put this in writing to me, so she must be sure and confident of her statement to me. I felt comfortable at this time to sign to a 2-year contract with a new smartphone for my husband.

On 7/27/15 I called VZW regarding another matter with my bill and spoke with Jillian. My bill is currently showing that I owe $122 per month (what happened to it being $72 plus taxes?). I asked about the military discount again and when I could expect it to be applied to my account now that it was approved. She went on to tell me that my account DOESN’T QUALIFY FOR THE MILITARY DISCOUNT because my monthly plan is not high enough. Mine is $20 and the plan itself must be $34 or higher to qualify. Also, they cannot provide any discount this high to anyone. This was never mentioned to me nor have I found this information on the VZW website anywhere. After being told there was nothing this particular representative could do to help I asked to speak with a manager, explaining that I was quoted the above stated discount and had it in writing. Jillian told me that it was impossible for her to get a manager on the phone because she doesn’t even have a direct extension to send me to. I didn’t believe her, but I went along with it. Jillian said she would put the request through and a manager would call me back within 24-hours. Fine.

On 7/28/15, over 24-hours later no one from VZW has called me, so I call them. I got another customer service representative who couldn’t bother to read the notes on my account from the day before, and instead made me rehash the entire situation. She said she couldn’t help either. I asked for a manager, once again, and wouldn’t you know? She was able to put me through to a manager immediately. Well I guess Jillian’s phone doesn’t have the capability to transfer calls….that MUST be the explanation. I got manager Angelica on the phone at this point. This is where the real fun begins.

Angelica first offered me a $12 inconvenience credit per month on my bill for 12-months. I said that was not good enough. I am locked into a contract for 24-months and was promised 15-percent off my entire bill after taxes. Angelica calculated out that that should be around $13/month off my bill. Her second offer was $8 per month for 24-months, $3 per month in a military discount that she thinks she can suddenly apply, and $12 per month for 12-months off my bill in total. She explained what each of these discounts were for, but there was so much manipulation going on at the time that I don’t even remember at this point. I accepted this offer thinking it was more than fair to “make me whole” after being lied to. Angelica proceeded to place me on hold, stating that she needs to “escalate the situation” to ensure she can even make me this offer! Why would you say anything to a customer about discounts like this if you weren’t sure you were allowed to offer them?

Her third offer was $8 per month plus $5.50 per month for 24-months in discounts. My monthly bill, Angelica said, would be $66.50 per month before taxes. I said, wait a minute, that math doesn’t add up when my original bill was $72 per month before taxes. She proceeded to say that the $8 savingss is from the Edge plan for the new smartphone! I was already receiving this, so how is VZW doing me any favors by offering something to me a second time that I already have?

At this point in the conversation Angelica said, “I know what the online representative offered you, but Verizon really cannot take responsibility for what a misinformed representative says.” Well obviously that is the case. Obviously Verizon takes no responsibility for anything except writing their own paychecks and billing their customers more for less than any other cell phone carrier.

Today, 8/2/15 my Sunday morning was tarnished when I received a phone call from Angelica again, stating that they cannot credit me even the $5.50 per month as offered. Because the Erin D, the online representative said 15-percent off my entire bill, they can credit me 15-percent, before taxes on ONE SINGLE BILL.

So, fellow Verizon Wireless customers, I need your help. Should I simply seek a plan with another cell phone carrier or should I ride things out with these disgusting thieves and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? Has anyone else had an appalling experience like this with Verizon Wireless? I ask this in particular to Veterans and Military customers, as well as those who have been with Verizon as long as I have (again, 15 years).

I could handle my cell phone bill increasing because of new products or services, but what I cannot handle is being lied to and manipulated to pad their bottom line.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon's lies regarding Military Discounts
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Can you simplify the plan you currently have for us viewers?

More Everything? How many GB a month? How many smart phones; 2 year contract of Edge/DPP? How many basic phones?

For example I have:

$70 - 8GB More Everything

$15 - Line Access Fee for month to month smartphone

$40 - Line Access Fee for 2 year contract smart phone

I'm sure some of us could look at your bill to see where you might be able to save. As odd as it sounds, sometimes you can spend more to save more. Or spend the same and get more.

0 Likes
proudmamatobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response. The bottom line is, that I am not going to give this company any more business by increasing any services to save a few dollars. They admitted that I was lied to by several employees and said they take no ownership. They even recommended the same thing to me after acknowledging all of this. It would simply be rewarding bad behavior.

I have a basic phone that is $20 per month for access with a basic line discount already included.

My husband now has a smartphone costing $7 per month for 24 months until we own it. His line access is $25 already including an Edge discount.

Lastly, $20 per month for 500 MB data and unlimited text and calls. I don't use data and my husband doesn't even use half of the 500 MB per month.

Before taxes, the bill is $72 per month.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Do you both have separate plans or this is all on one plan? I can't tell by the way you listed it...

Also what is the discount you are getting on the basic phone?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

$20 - 500mb

$20 - Basic phone line access (this isn't a discount, this is what the price is for a basic phone on the more everything)

$25 - smartphone line access fee (already includes the Edge / DPP discount of $15)

$7 - payment for the smartphone

$72 + taxes and fees (depends on your state, but I'm gonna guess the total should be around $85 each month)

Under your account you should be able to go to my verizon>my account>view bill - from there you can find out what the extra $37 is for. It almost seems like they might have charged you an activation fee for the smartphone, which is $40. EXCEPT you don't have to pay that when you sign up for the Edge / DPP plan like it sounds like your husband did.

Again, I only browsed your post so you may have already figured out what the extra charge is for?

Were you told you can't get the 15% military discount? I'm not sure that a plan with only 500mb qualifies. Or if you're being told you already have a discount?

0 Likes
proudmamatobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your attempt to help, but I am not rehashing this further. Verizon, and Verizon only, can fix this. Everyone else and their mother posts their issues on this community board and Verizon jumps at the chance to try to make it better. This is what I want and need from them, since I have gotten no where through any other attempt.

I answered every question you asked in my post. I can't keep explaining this over and over again. Yes, it is a long post, but that is because of the series of lies and misinformation and mishandling that occurred that I want others to be aware of. If you don't want to, or have the time to read it all, that is fine.

Where may I ask are you coming up with $37 that is unaccounted for? We have a family plan (2 lines, my husband and I). The charges are as I explained which comes to $72 per month before taxes, fees and surcharges. And Verizon says they cannot give me an estimate on what my new bill will actually be including these taxes fees and surcharges, yet they will have no problem billing me.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Fair enough.

I thought I read that your bill was $122, I just have a hard time reading posts that include a bunch of numbers and prices within sentences and complaints and personal information vs. just listing things fees / prices etc. Verizon can't guess fee's and taxes because those are decided by the state and can change.

Best of luck.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

proudmamatobe

Let me get this straight, you feel employees lied to you or misinformed you, so you want to hear MORE from them?

And this forum is primarily for customers to help each other.

that said......

There  is nothing wrong with the bill.  Look at the dates, and the bill details.

Cell carriers bill a month ahead.  Because you changed service mid month and added a new phone, your new bill shows the prorated, increase for the previously billed month, added to the current months bill.

IF you look at the dates, it will show approximately $50 in charges on the current bill, but for the previous billing period.

Next month your bill will be $72 Before taxes.   You can estimate tax by looking up the percent of communication tax for your state.  the $7 installment is not taxed again on your bill.  You would have paid any sales tax on the phone up front already.

Y

FYI. It is not rent to own.  This is a no interest loan for the phone.   It is yours.  It may have a 1 year warranty.  Beyond that, if it's broken, stolen or lost,  you must replace it on your own.

cystokyd

This is 2020 and I am having an issue with Verizon and military discounts the bottom line here is that like many compaines Verizon uses the Miltary to make millions od dollars in profit buy saying they offer a militaryt discount but in reality it is a selling tool to get you to increase your monthlky plan. If ypou choose not to the reps are instructed to tell you that you dont qualify for the discount. its a scam. 

0 Likes