Verizon's disruption of Public Education Services
suyakun
Enthusiast - Level 2

Remind is an App that teachers of all grade levels use to send double blind reminder texts to students and parents and for some like myself has become a crucial part of modern education. Sadly Verizon has mistakenly blocked this service for their customers meaning several students and parents are now at a disadvantage when it comes to staying up to date with the happenings in the classroom. Below is the announcement from Remind which is a Free app for both parents, teachers and students. I am hoping that this is just a misunderstanding between Remind and Verizon and that it is fixed sooner rather than later as I am sure that Verizon doesn't mean to put it's own profits over the success of students in the classroom.

Remind :

What’s happening?
To offer our text messaging service free of charge, Remind has always paid for each text that our users receive or send. Now, Verizon is charging Remind an additional fee intended for companies that send spam over its network. Your Remind messages aren’t spam, but our efforts to resolve the issue with Verizon haven’t been successful.

As a result, the Verizon fee will increase our costs of providing text messaging by 11X—pushing our annual costs into the millions of dollars. This isn’t financially feasible for us to support, and it’s forcing us to end Remind text messaging for everyone who has a wireless plan with Verizon.

How will this affect you?
Beginning January 28, 2019, the people in your classes who normally get your Remind messages as texts will no longer receive these messages if they have Verizon Wireless as their phone carrier.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon's disruption of Public Education Services
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They changed their minds. Verizon caves, won’t charge “spam” fee for texts from teachers to students | Ars Technica

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes