Verizon doesn't follow through with promised sale and then gives out even more misinformation
NCKim
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Droid Maxx phone has a small crack on the screen that causes the back and other buttons at the bottom to not respond.  I called in a few days ago to see about a possible repair.  I am not due for an upgrade until October 2016 (the phone is older, but was switched over to cover the contract for another phone that we went months without using.)  The rep that I talked to, Roger I think was his name, said that the phone is pretty much unrepairable and suggested I get a replacement new phone.  I can't pay full retail price for a phone.  But he worked it out, with his supervisor, for me to get a Samsung S6 on a payment plan,  With the $15 monthly discount that would be applied to my account, the monthly payment for the phone was supposed to be $19 and change, but that would bring it down to just a little under $5 more I would have to pay per month, compared to what I'm paying now.  All I would have to pay upfront would be the sales tax due on the full retail price.  He also mentioned that this pricing took into account a $100 discount on the phone.  I told him I would have to wait until Dec 16 (just a few days) to be able to pay the tax and he said that he would call me back that day to finish up the sale.  We made arrangements for him to call back around 2 pm, and I gave him both my home phone number and of course the cell number to call.  He verified with his supervisor that the $100 discount would be available, and said it was available through the end of December,, so we should be fine on that.  He also verified that they could offer the payment plan as discussed if I waited until the 16th, and that was approved as well.

So Dec 16 arrived and I made sure I was at the phone for his call.  He never called.  At 2:30 pm I called Verizon, and they were not able to put me through to him, though they were able to look up everything in the account notes.  Even though everything was in the notes and approved, they now wanted almost $100 up front as a down payment, along with the sales tax.  Note that the original arrangement was SUPERVISOR APPROVED.  But now the new rep and his supervisor would not honor that.  I was passed through to customer service, and they would not honor it either, still demanding the large down payment, while acknowledging that previous arrangement.

So first lie was that Roger would call me back.  Second lie was that the deal would be honored through the 16th.  But wait, there's more!

When I was not able to pay the newly demanded down payment, the customer service rep, Cassie, suggested that I look into just getting the phone repaired.  Note that this is what I had originally called about!  She said that some of their stores offer repair service and then she looked up a location closest to me that offered repairs.  I took down the contact information as the store is only a few miles from my home.  I called that store and the man there said that he didn't know what Verizon had told me they do repairs, that they have NEVER offered repair services there.

So that was lie #3 for the day.

The guy at the store tried to be helpful by giving me the name of a repair place about 50 miles away, not sure though if they do repairs on Motorola devices.  When I explained the whole situation to him he seemed to think that Verizon should have honored what they offered me on the sale, especially since it had been supervisor approved.

The phone repair place suggested only repairs IPhones and Samsungs.  So I'm back to square one, a broken phone, a lying service provider, and no affordable options to make it right.

Is this typical of Verizon?  I've only been with Verizon a few years, was with my previous cellular provider for 13 years.  So I don't typically move around with providers very often.  Now I'm thinking I would have been better off to go with one of the no contract, prepaid phones, if this is how Verizon does business.  I guess I'm stuck with this horrible service until October. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon doesn't follow through with promised sale and then gives out even more misinformation
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NCKim,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience in attempting to obtain a new device. It sounds like we've been working hard in trying to find you an option outside of your current agreement. We'd be happy to review your account again and make sure that all options have been exhausted. I will send you a Private Message to work with you further. Thank you.

TrevorCC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon doesn't follow through with promised sale and then gives out even more misinformation
NCKim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I received the private message.  Responded with requested information.  And then no response.  No idea what would be considered a reasonable response time, it's been a couple of hours.  Past regular business hours today now where I live.  I had errands to run, but waited on that promised 2 pm call before going out.  Now that we've been back and forth all afternoon, wasted time.  I'm hoping they'll come through and do what they promised.  I'll post an update if anything changes.

0 Likes
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

If your original contract is not up till Oct 2016, you will not get the $15 line discount with the new phone on the Device Payment Plan unless you pay an Early Termination Fee (likely around $210) on your Droid Maxx.  That means the Samsung will have the full $40 line access fee (same as your Maxx) AND the device payment of around $19 and change until October.

Also, go online; there are literally tons of places that will repair the screen on your Droid Maxx, most for right around $100.

0 Likes
NCKim
Enthusiast - Level 2

The first person that I spoke with, as well as all the others, have been aware of the contract end date and none have mentioned paying the ETF. I did discuss the contract on my first call, and was told that it would just continue to run until the expiration date already in place, the contract would not end nor would it be extended.  Even today when they started trying to make me pay a down-payment, they agreed that the $15 line discount would be applied.  But you may well be correct, at this point I don't know what to believe as far as what Verizon tells me.

I've found an app that gives me a work-around for what wasn't working on my Maxx (the softkeys,) so I'll get by with that until/if we get things sorted out and Verizon comes through with what they originally offered to do.

tradeintrick
Contributor - Level 3

$300 trade-in credit with Droid Turbo 2 purchase, who needs to fix it?

0 Likes
NCKim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Trade in a broken phone?

0 Likes
tradeintrick
Contributor - Level 3

Yes, shattered or cracked phones are eligible with Droid Turbo 2 purchase.

0 Likes
NCKim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there info on the website about that?  What I'm seeing in regard to trading in, even on that model, is this: "Smartphone trade-in must be in good, working condition."

When I was trying to sort this out earlier today, the rep told me that having the cracked screen wouldn't qualify.  Of course, we were still talking about the Samsung model at that point.  But this is showing on the trade in info for the Turbo 2.

Still doesn't solve the original problem I had with Verizon telling me one thing and then when it came time to purchase, changing pretty much everything I had been told. 

0 Likes
NCKim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, TrevorC_VZW contacted me privately yesterday, although it was TrevorCC_VZW who posted on behalf of Verizon above in response to my post.  After asking for my info via private message, I've not heard anything else.  I was hoping to have good news to report today, to say that Verizon had decided to follow through with their stated offer, but so far that is not the case.  I'll keep updating here just in case things change.

Otherwise, I guess I'll just keep my current phone until my contract runs out in October, which will give me over 10 months to hate Verizon daily.  Should be a great experience for customer retention possibilities.

0 Likes