Verizon disabled voice mail support for old phones and now I am out of luck
TheMcPartlin_sInTexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

in the 1st week of July Verizon has gone and got rid of the Visual Voicemail service (2.99per month) and at the same time made some changes that made a whole bunch of users with Older phone like my Nokia Icon. also known as the 929... not be able to use the built in voicemail app to see and interact with my voicemails.  They said some third party apps may work but none that I found work.  Anyone find any?  I am highly tempted to leave Verizon behind.  I would have purchased the 950 or 950 XL if it was sold and supported by Verizon but it is not. Yes I still like Windows Phone and do not want an IPhone or an Android.  But if I have to do something maybe the Nexus 6p or 5x

What your thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon disabled voice mail support for old phones and now I am out of luck
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This has been previously discussed. Check out 'Bye-Bye Visual Voice Mail' https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/912626

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This has been previously discussed. Check out 'Bye-Bye Visual Voice Mail' https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/912626

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TheMcPartlin_sInTexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree that the link you listed covers that the Voice mail has been gotten rid of...

Now I an curious what others are doing about it.  I am open to ideas...

Our Icon's are now dumb phones as far as Voice Mail is concerned.  I'm not willing to go backwards and feel cheated by Verizon.  If there are third party apps that could work on my Windows phone I am willing to use them.

Oh I hate the idea of getting an Android but I think I may go get a Nexus 6P or 5X and see if that phone can work with the basic visual voicemail that Verizon still has...   I don't understand how some other Windows phones can work with whatever changed with Verizon but it is what it is.... 

I'm not a fan of wasting a lot of money on an Apple device.  The nexus looks like it's cheaper... if the unit from Best buy works I will buy a used one on ebay and return the new one.  IF only the 950 or 950 XL windows phone was available for purchase.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only Windows phone that works with the available IMS driven Visual Voicemail options is the Lumia 735.

Personally I use the Basic non-visual Voicemail.  I don't want to read my voicemails.  I certainly don't want any one who has access to my phone to be able to access my voicemail.  I have tried all the currently offer OS platforms and I hated having to figure out how use the Apple visual voicemail especially having to set it up again.  With the basic voicemail, I can switch between any non Apple devices and not have to worry about losing access to my voicemail.  I can skip, fast forward, rewind and save or delete quickly through the basic system just as fast as someone using the visual type maybe even faster.

0 Likes
TheMcPartlin_sInTexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hate to sound rude Ann154 but not having Visual voicemail so I can see the messages in a list, download it to my phone so I can play it when not connected to the network (like in a plane) and skip to the voicemail I want to play quickly and effortlessly is like going to back to 1991 when I got my 1st cell phone.  I am not going to do that... We pay a pretty penny for all these gadgets and I don't think going back in time is what we wanted to do.

-----------------------

So the Nexus 6p and 5x seems like a dead end.  there is no voicemail app that works on that phone.  Does anyone know of a third party app that will work?  They were able to add basic visual voicemail to my account/number but they didn't have any idea on how to get it to work.   IMS driven Visual Voicemail, what apps work with that?

The store wants me to buy an LG 5 something but at 650.00 vs the 499 the 6p was or 249 from Google for the 5x that hardly seems like a good idea.

The support people said to just go buy an Iphone.  Apple runs the voicemail service for the iphone so Verizon can't kill it. They have plans to kill all visual voicemail services over the next months to year.  I find that idea appalling and can't understand how customers would stand for all of this crap.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Visual voicemail is built in natively into the Nexua 5X and 6P.

I certainly have no intention of ever listening to voicemail while on a plane.  That is not my idea of fun or work.  I certainly wouldn't have paid $2.99 for voicemail either.

Have you tried Google Voice for visual voicemail?

0 Likes
TheMcPartlin_sInTexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

So no visual voicemail support for the Nexus 6p or 5x.  Verizon never made an app that will work with the phone and the phone doesn't know how to talk to Verizon's servers.

I do not want to use Google voice.

there are other services that work by having you use *71 (plus some number) so any missed calls get forwarded there.  Google voice could be used this way.  You could even use Microsoft O365 skype for Business if you wanted.

I am considering going back to my Nokia Icon and the Nexus is a nice phone but I may just go get the dreaded iPhone as part of apple upgrade program... only time will tell.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Are the Nexus phone supported by Verizon? Meaning, did you buy them through Verizon? If you bought them from Google unlocked then the are not supported by Verizon and you aren't able to take advantage of Verizon services like VVM.

As long as you can call in to your voice mail, you still have access to it. Just not in the way you prefer. I guess Verizon does truly have the right to say which devices they'll support with their services. They say, "It's ok. You don't have to get the phone with all of our apps pre-installed but you won't get the use of them either."

0 Likes
TheMcPartlin_sInTexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I ended up buying an IPhone.  6Splus.  I am not happy about it.  I miss my Windows Phone and I think it's  a better phone for email and the such.

But visual voicemail was important to me.  Maybe a new windows phone that actually works on Verizon will come out and I would switch back... but there is a chance Windows phone will just die off like the blackberry...

0 Likes