Verizon cancelled the wrong line and royally screwed me over
wellsmanfu
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had 4 lines and needed to cancel one whose contract had just ended. I called in and requested to have it cancelled and to also take advantage of the new lower data plans. Everything seemed to be ok and the guy on the phone confirmed all of the changes and that he had cancelled the correct number. Then I noticed some data issues this past Sunday. All day Monday I didn't receive any calls or text messages and didn't think too much of it and figured it was just a quiet day. It wasn't until that night when I realized that my data issues were still going on that I knew something was wrong. I still wasn't too worried because I had been having problems with my phone and figured that I needed to do a hard reset. When I tried to make a call that's when I realized how much Verizon had screwed me over.

I tried calling my Dad who is also on my account to see is his data was working and that took me to a message from Verizon saying that they're going to get me to an outside operator. I know this kind of message because I've been in the cell phone industry for over 10 years (most of that tech support) and you get this kind of message when you use a phone that isn't activated. I immediately knew that they messed up when I called them 3 days before and requested to cancel the line that I didn't need anymore.

What really sucks in this whole mess is that I'm currently unemployed and looking for a job. Thanks to the lack of service or a working number I missed out on 2 same day interview requests.

I got the problem fixed Monday night, but the damage had already been done. It took all I had to be civil with the woman who helped me on the phone to fix this issue. I know that it wasn't her fault, but she was nervous having to fix this problem and wanted to get me off the phone as soon as she could.

I'm now debating what to do. In my area Verizon has very good coverage, but the other companies are pretty good as well. I'm going to call Verizon and see what they're going to do for me to help remedy this situation and take care of a good customer. If they don't want to help make this right, then I'm going to be leaving Verizon and taking as many people away from them as I can.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon cancelled the wrong line and royally screwed me over
Not applicable

If you don't have a job how can you an afford the ETF. By the way the line out of contract that you cancelled was eligible for up to a $25 a month discount.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mrhelper wrote:

If you don't have a job how can you an afford the ETF.

Simply because someone is "currently unemployed" does not mean they are indigent. You don't know the circumstances of the person in question, how could you possibly know what they can and cannot afford? Some people simply leave a job because they would like to try something new. Doesn't mean they haven't planned for this and have the monetary reserves to hold themselves over while looking for a new job. Some jobs are also seasonal and those workers plan for(and sometimes look forward to) the times of the year where they will be without work. Not all situations are as dire as your statement may lead you to believe.Smiley Happy Not everyone who works spends each and every cent they make/earn. Many people put away money for a rainy day. I know it sounds unusual in this age of overspending, but many responsible people plan for the time where they may be looking at unemployment and as a result are ready if the situation arises.Smiley Happy

Not applicable

He said he cancelled the line because he's unemployed. I take that as he can't afford that line.

I had 4 lines and needed to cancel one whose contract had just ended. I'm currently unemployed and looking for a job

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mrhelper wrote:

He said he cancelled the line because he's unemployed. I take that as he can't afford that line.

I am aware he said he was unemployed. I simply pointed out multiple reasons why that does not necessarily mean he can't afford the line.

0 Likes
wellsmanfu
Enthusiast - Level 1

I didn't expect that I'd have to defend myself to someone who jumps to conclusions on this post, but here we go.

I was not happy at my old job and needed a change. I stayed as long as I could stand it and saved up as much money as I could. I had saved 5-6 months worth of expenses before things got really bad and I had to leave. The work environment was affecting my health because of the high stress and loss of sleep. I left and took some time off.

The line that I cancelled was a work line that I no longer needed because I don't have that job anymore. Since I don't need it anymore I didn't see any need to keep paying for it.

Even though I'm not working at the moment, I can afford my bill. I just chose to be smart and not pay for a line that I wasn't using anymore. Even if I was working at the moment, I'd still cancel a line that wasn't being used.

As for affording the ETF. If I'm with a company that treats me poorly I will not continue to use them. The other providers are all offering to pay off ETFs, so that isn't an issue.

rcschnoor
Legend

Well said!

It is not always the best policy to jump to conclusions without knowing the facts.Smiley Happy