Verizon can't justify shaping bandwidth on a mobile hotspot
MGL42
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you ask them what the difference is between 100 people on their cellphones loading videos versus 1 mobile hotspot hosting 100 devices doing the same thing, they really don't have an answer.

I am paying close to 150.00 a month for services and now my data transmission speeds have gone into the toilet since I upgraded to a Samsung Note 8 from a Samsung Note 5. So, the thanks I get for being a loyal customer, upgrading my phone and paying more per month is to have my mobile hotspot data speeds go into oblivion.

So. If this is the way Verizon wants to go, they're not going to have a customer for very much longer.

My plan did not change. My data usage is exactly the same. But now, there is an arbitrary ceiling being imposed on my plan even though I am paying for it every month.

This sounds like not meeting the terms of the SLA.

Verizon's customer service is atrociously bad and attempt to dazzle you with explanations that don't answer questions. I've caught them in lies and multiple misrepresentations within at least the hour because they don't know what they're talking about, nor do they really care about the customers that pay their bills.

What say you Verizon? Do you enjoy destroying what little reputation you have left?

Not happy. Last time I checked I don't pay for less service. Right? Right.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon can't justify shaping bandwidth on a mobile hotspot
MGL42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just use my computer tethered to my hotspot. I am not running a wireless ISP from my phone hosting 100 devices.

0 Likes
MGL42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved. T-Mobile has an unlimited hotspot plan that ends up being cheaper than Verizon. And I won't get shaped.

Sorry, Verizon. You need a change in attitude.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MGL42,

Hearing you wish to leave our VZW family makes us sad. I welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry. With our unlimited plans, you can experience network management when reaching certain data thresholds. This is because wireless spectrum is a finite resource and was never meant to be consumed en masse if wanting to ensure all customers in an area got the same quality experience. Like our competitors, our unlimited plans are the only plans that have network management in place while our tiered data plans do not. The T-Mobile One plan does have unlimited 3G hotspot while their One Plus plan allows for 10GBs at 4G speeds followed by unlimited 3G for the remainder of the billing cycle. We provide 15GBs of hotspot use with our Beyond Unlimited plan before being throttled to slower speeds. I've sent you a PM in case you have additional questions or concerns you'd like addressed.

EbonyR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MGL42
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are wrong about T-Mobile. It's unlimited 4G LTE including mobile hotspot. There's no shaping. Plus it's 98 bucks a month. Been verified.

Please update your information. Verizon is now third tier in service, quality and price. Things have gone downhill. It's this sort of attitude that makes it clear Verizon isn't listening to their customers, nor cares about them. Are you really surprised? You shouldn't be. Your unlimited plans are flat out lies and do not perform as advertised. I am tired of throwing money away at a service that does not perform to spec.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

MGL42 wrote:

Problem solved. T-Mobile has an unlimited hotspot plan that ends up being cheaper than Verizon. And I won't get shaped.

Sorry, Verizon. You need a change in attitude.

No they do not have unlimited unfettered hotpsot. Their base plan( $70 ) has a hotspot that is capped at 512 kbps( Verizon base plan is 600 kbps ). For $10 more you can get 10 GB of 4G speed before being throttled to 512 kbps( Verizon is 15 GB before 600 kbps throttle ) and for $25 more you can technically get uncapped 4G hotpsot. HOWEVER it says right in the terms if you use more than 50 GB in a month and more than 50% of that is hotpot/tethering and you do that 3 times in a 6 months period they will kick you off their service. So this idea that you can sign up for T-Mobile and use it for home internet and use hundreds of GB a month is a myth.

If you have access to wired internet such as cable or fiber you should be using that for home internet. If you don't then there are satellite options available. Or you can move to where the wired internet is or you can wait for 3 year until Verizon rolls out 5G and hope it actually comes to your area.

MGL42
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are incorrect. End of story. I did my research. I get unlimited 4G LTE on mobile hotspot and smartphone data with T-Mobile. And, they have no reason to lie about their SLA because it would get them into trouble.

I have my reasons why I need unlimited mobile hotspot data without being shaped on the bandwidth. Verizon fails on this front. They think people are going to use their phone as wireless routers for n devices. That's not what I'm doing.

Boringusername? How much is Verizon paying You?

It was a valiant attempt.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The other user did correctly provide the terms from T-Mobile about the hotspot data usage for the various T-Mobile plans. You should take the time to read the full terms of the plans and the terms and conditions of T-Mobile services. I just did myself to verify the other users sources.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

MGL42 wrote:

You are incorrect. End of story. I did my research. I get unlimited 4G LTE on mobile hotspot and smartphone data with T-Mobile. And, they have no reason to lie about their SLA because it would get them into trouble.

I have my reasons why I need unlimited mobile hotspot data without being shaped on the bandwidth. Verizon fails on this front. They think people are going to use their phone as wireless routers for n devices. That's not what I'm doing.

Boringusername? How much is Verizon paying You?

It was a valiant attempt.

Obviously you DID NOT read. And if you like T-Mobile so much why are you here? How much is T-Mobile paying YOU to troll here?

T-Mobile ONE Fair Usage Commitment

The T-Mobile ONE Fair Usage commitment is how we ensure that the highest number of customers have the best possible experience for the most common uses on our network. To ensure that smartphones and tablets have fair access to the network, we will monitor mobile hotspot/tethering usage on a regular basis to ensure that mobile hotspot usage is both reasonable and fair. The T-Mobile ONE service is designed to be used primarily on smartphones and tablets. The T-Mobile ONE mobile hotspot features are intended for personal mobile connectivity, not intended to be a complete broadband replacement for multiple users over an extended period of time. If a customer is a heavy data user specifically, using more than 50GB (updated periodically) of data in a month and uses their device as a mobile hotspot for the majority of their use over an extended period of time – we may contact you to discuss your plan and your options.

bbrdtylr
Contributor - Level 2

All of the carriers can justify network management, or "shaping" if that's what you want to call it. Managing the network helps ensure customers get the best experience they can. It helps them ensure that a small percentage of the customers aren't using 80% of the bandwidth and [removed] everyone else over.

I find it comedic that you believe T-Mobile doesn't do this. Did you do any research yourself? I think the issue is your inability to listen, and I imagine you will post a very similar post on T-Mobile forums once you realize they lied to you...

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes