Verizon Trade-In Program Unresolved Problem, please help.
matthewood
Enthusiast - Level 3

With all the talk of the new iPhone 6 and Trade-Ins. I still have an unresolved question and concern for my Trade-In experience.

I am a 10 year customer with Verizon, spending tens of thousands of dollars in my tenure as a customer.

I have worked for a large entertainment company for 23 years, and because of our corporate relationship I use Verizon.

I have always owned a smartphone, & have gone through 5 or 6 different generations of expensive phones over the years, settling in on the iPhone.

I picked up the 5s from Verizon last year, and was propositioned at the Verizon retail store to trade-in my old Verizon iPhone 4s for a Verizon gift card.

I was told at the store I would get at least $200.00 for it.

I went ahead and did it online on 2/11 and it was appraised for $220.00. On 2/28 I received a gift card in the amount of $39.60.

I was told the reason for the extremely low return was because Find My iPhone was still activated on the device.

This is not the case. I have spent time online with Apple support verifying this fact.

The Verizon trade-in support center wants an email from Apple proving that it is turned off.

I had an online support with Apple and they told me that they do not produce these emails.

I have screenshots of my iCloud accounts with no devices attached, and the Apple chat transcripts.

I also have screenshots of the new Apple Activation Lock verification page showing both the IMEI and Serial Number of the phone as “OFF”.

At this point Verizon is holding my iPhone 4s and the complete gift card hostage.

The communication process with the Trade-In center is not productive. You can only call in, and receive boilerplate responses, and they type up your message and send it to the engineers who are the ones with the phones. Then a few days later you receive boilerplate email responses to those messages. I reply to those emails with direct questions, screenshots, and Apple chat logs and do not receive direct answers.

I was also told "we are unable to validate that Activation Lock has been disabled for this device."

I was also sent a screen shot from Verizon Online Trade-In Support apparently showing my phone with FMiP engaged, but the serial number, IMEI, and email address DO NOT match mine or the phone in question!

When dealing with money that is to go to back to a loyal customer, it would seem the possibility of extreme dissatisfaction will arise if the amounts appraised don't match the amounts given, and there is no recourse to discuss this with the team.

Also, the fact that the phone seems to be gone at this point is almost like theft.

Funnily enough, this is all for the privilege of receiving a Verizon gift card which can only be spent at Verizon.

I appealed this case to my corporate accounts manager, Michael S. at Verizon, and he answered with a single sentence: "I understand."

I would like to think that this isn't a scam (even though the majority of the comments here seem otherwise).

But the facts remain:

Apple is has verified that "Find My iPhone" is not turned on with my accounts.

Apple says they do not send out confirmation of removal emails (which Verizon claims they need).

The iPhone is in the possession of Verizon.

I only received 18% of the Appraised Value

Verizon says they are unable to validate if FMiP is disabled.

There is no way to directly talk to the department in question.

I hope to hear from a Verizon Rep from my region (Northern California will chime in here?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2001/02/pr2001-02-16.html

• Tracy M, director of marketing
  • Susan S, director of business sales
  • Charlotte M, director of financial planning and analysis
  • Debbie S, associate director of human resources
  • April S, manager of public relations

Thank you for your time, and feel free to comment here with your thoughts.

Matthew

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Trade-In Program Unresolved Problem, please help.
matthewood
Enthusiast - Level 3

UPDATE:

Two days after filing with the BBB online, I received a call from VZW where I was able to plead the case again to them.

The matter was resolved with my account being credited for the remainder of the gift card promised by the original appraisal. The representative on the phone was calm and cordial and listened to my case. She said that it seemed like I had done my due diligence in researching the matter, and she was apologetic for the breakdown in the process.

I recommended that they should have a way to directly correspond to the appraisal and evaluation department during the process, as that was that was the source of my major frustration. She offered this number for doing so:

877-784-8473

It was unfortunate that I needed to file with the BBB, but it also did generate a response from VZW in this matter.

I hope you all have good luck on your cases out there!

Thank you,

Matthew

View solution in original post

matthewood
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see activity from Customer Support on these boards, can I please get an answer to my issue?

Does anyone who has been through this same ordeal have a number to call? I am seeing successful resolutions, but I would really love some help.

Thank you,

Matthew

0 Likes
stook2005
Enthusiast - Level 2

You should filed a report to BBB.  Once Verizon Wireless get the BBB report, they'll resolved it really fast.  It took about a 1 week or so from the time I filed the BBB report until I got $200 credited to my account.   BTW, I got the "Activation Lock" excuse too.

0 Likes
macdevin
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would also file a complaint with your state DA office..

0 Likes
matthewood
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the advice. I just filed with the BBB. I've just been down this road so long with Verizon that I really could see no other recourse. Thanks again, Matthew

0 Likes
matthewood
Enthusiast - Level 3

UPDATE:

Two days after filing with the BBB online, I received a call from VZW where I was able to plead the case again to them.

The matter was resolved with my account being credited for the remainder of the gift card promised by the original appraisal. The representative on the phone was calm and cordial and listened to my case. She said that it seemed like I had done my due diligence in researching the matter, and she was apologetic for the breakdown in the process.

I recommended that they should have a way to directly correspond to the appraisal and evaluation department during the process, as that was that was the source of my major frustration. She offered this number for doing so:

877-784-8473

It was unfortunate that I needed to file with the BBB, but it also did generate a response from VZW in this matter.

I hope you all have good luck on your cases out there!

Thank you,

Matthew