Re: Verizon Share Everything Plans
Derek32880
Contributor - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

*sigh* Like I said before...  Which you probably skipped over.  Sprint nearly went under and had the for sale sign up.  T-Mobile is on the same boat.  The reason...  YOU...  If the service isn't to your liking do you get the service?  No.  So they have to work harder and give you better deals right?  So why is Verizon different?  They are not giving you what you want, yet to cry and cry about them not giving you what you want...  Bottom line...  They want your dollar make them work to get it...

Well you also have to factor in  Sprint bought out Nextel which was a really stupid move   because apparently by  buying them they didn't have the money to update those Nextel towers to Sprint towers  and  last I had heard  by buying Nextel   they became in debt 39 BILLION dollars   rather there still in debt  now or not  I don't know   this was   over 2 years ago  when I read this  and it seems they've been doing very well with the Boost Mobile  brand of there company  then they turned around and bought out Virgin mobile a few years ago  which was dumb too cause VM  was using there towers  so they didn't win any towers in the buy

to answer your question    "How is Verizon any different"   that's easy   it actually WORKS  95% of the time    there are times i admit even with verizon  i sometimes lose signal  if we get a hard rain    tho it's not often  which is why i said it works 95% of the time   so over all  am i Happy with the service?  YES   am I have with the pricing I have now?  no I would like a better/cheaper plan but I manage  doesn't mean I want to  pay these prices there trying to put on us now if we upgrade either

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Then move on. Don't get there service if you don't like the price. Are you going to die from not having a cell phone? So what's the problem?

Also T-Mobile is still 30B in debt. People forget T-Mobile spent 59B to get into the market over 10 years ago and though they turned a profit per year basis they have not even come close to their 10 year plan and are still in the red. That 6B transplant they got from the fallout of the AT&T deal may help them a little but not enough where T-Mobile will be for sale again.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sprint Virgin deal wasn't about towers. It was about money and brand. Virgin stays Virgin and instead of Virgin getting the profits Sprint will. Sprint doesn't have to build or combine towers to boot.

0 Likes
Derek32880
Contributor - Level 1

and how do u think they could come out of the red?   by offering prices that  people can afford  yet  that will also make them money  in this economy   raising prices are not going to bring in a net profit  because  there are people that are paying what they can barely afford to pay already lets  use Verizons  upcoming plans for example   $100 for  unlimited talk, text and 10GB of data  for someone with 1 line that has 4G available   this is a really good deal  however   the $70  unlimited talk, text and 4GB  of data  is a better dea (atleast for me anyway)l  this would probably be the plan I would go for   in case  i lose my wifi for some reason or another   like  Time Warner Cable  shutting off the internet for updates/upgrades for a few hours  i wouldn't have to worry about going over with the 4GB plan on 4G  which also this plan would save me $50   however the $40 smart phone fee   makes this plan $110 which is only a $10 savings   now  THIS  plan might be good for someone who signed up in past few months  and got unlimited talk text and 2GB of data  cause there saving $10 and getting 2GB more or paying the same price and getting 4GB more than what they were

Basically....  If you want to bring in  net profit  you have to give a reasonable  price     which it might sound like they'd be losing money but  not if the plans are the right price  and it brings in a crap load of  new customers  to join in on the deal  taking away from other companies     lets again look @ sprint     they charge $80   for 450 mins  tho u get nites and weekend mins starting at 7pm (not 9pm like u do on verizon)  and unlimited mobile to ANY mobile  unlimited texting and unlimited data    the plan is actually $70 but there is a $10 smart phone data fee  which makes it $80   now if Verizon were to do something like that   but give unlimited mins (instead of 450)   then even sprints customers would leave and join the better coverage  for a better deal  so if 15 million people left  AT&T   15 mill  left  Sprint and  15 mill left T-MO  for this   THAT is where  there profit would come in at   they just gained 45 million customers   now i'm not saying this WOULD happen because  they might end up getting more from each company and they might end up getting less  i just used that as an example

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Derek32880 wrote:

and how do u think they could come out of the red?   by offering prices that  people can afford  yet  that will also make them money  in this economy   raising prices are not going to bring in a net profit  because  there are people that are paying what they can barely afford to pay already lets  use Verizons  upcoming plans for example   $100 for  unlimited talk, text and 10GB of data  for someone with 1 line that has 4G available   this is a really good deal  however   the $70  unlimited talk, text and 4GB  of data  is a better dea (atleast for me anyway)l  this would probably be the plan I would go for   in case  i lose my wifi for some reason or another   like  Time Warner Cable  shutting off the internet for updates/upgrades for a few hours  i wouldn't have to worry about going over with the 4GB plan on 4G  which also this plan would save me $50   however the $40 smart phone fee   makes this plan $110 which is only a $10 savings   now  THIS  plan might be good for someone who signed up in past few months  and got unlimited talk text and 2GB of data  cause there saving $10 and getting 2GB more or paying the same price and getting 4GB more than what they were

Prices go up as well as parts for networks go up.  The more you want things done the more it will cost.  It's hard to drive down prices when everyone wants everything.  See where I am going at?  Start your own network and you will see what I am talking about.  I do not work for any major carrier, but I do work for the DoD and was in the US Navy for years and was part of the development of the current JToC.  So I know what I am talking about.  We are not talking about your basic home network.  Where Verizon doesn't have their own landline internet service they have to have an agreement and connect Towers to that companies pipelines.  That cost money and it cost them money to maintain that service.  Sprint dropped their agreements in a lot of areas that is why they limited off network usage which AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile have not as they keep their agreements intact.

Basically....  If you want to bring in  net profit  you have to give a reasonable  price     which it might sound like they'd be losing money but  not if the plans are the right price  and it brings in a crap load of  new customers  to join in on the deal  taking away from other companies     lets again look @ sprint     they charge $80   for 450 mins  tho u get nites and weekend mins starting at 7pm (not 9pm like u do on verizon)  and unlimited mobile to ANY mobile  unlimited texting and unlimited data    the plan is actually $70 but there is a $10 smart phone data fee  which makes it $80   now if Verizon were to do something like that   but give unlimited mins (instead of 450)   then even sprints customers would leave and join the better coverage  for a better deal  so if 15 million people left  AT&T   15 mill  left  Sprint and  15 mill left T-MO  for this   THAT is where  there profit would come in at   they just gained 45 million customers   now i'm not saying this WOULD happen because  they might end up getting more from each company and they might end up getting less  i just used that as an example

See above.  There is more to it than just lowering service and bringing in more customers.  You could drop it to where you make $1 per customer, but the development will stop to exist as there is no overhead to progress forward.  Eventually companies will take a loss as parts availability may get scarce and then what?  What about network load and increased usage to maintain this increase.  As I said it's more to it than just customers.

0 Likes
Duogen
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to add in on Tidbits,

As I do work for a ISP that back hauls 4G for Verizon/USC/Sprint. I can back up that equipment is costly. So is the maintenance that keeps these running.

Just food for thought, and people thinking of jumping to AT&T.

The Egress (exit to the Backbone of the internet) is 90% at&t.

What does that mean?

AT&T charges carriers/ISP to get internet services through the world. You are limited a certain amount of bandwidth (OMG IPS/Carriers are data capped?? ya..)

Right now the big thing is 10 Gbps. So, the ISP will provide a share of that 10 Gbps to a Cell tower. Now, the links from the ISP to the Cell towers are full blown 10 Gbps circuits, but they are not using the full thing at this time (maybe). But they are charged for it. And its not cheap.

When one of these devices are hit by lightning, or any other natural disasters, like equipment breaking, it costs a lot to replace. These single devices can cost towards the upper limit of 1 million.

So it is costly.

0 Likes
Derek32880
Contributor - Level 1

You could drop it to where you make $1 per customer, but the development will stop to exist as there is no overhead to progress forward. 

dropping it down to $1 per customer would be a stupid move   apparently you missed where i said  by offering prices that  people can afford  "yet  that will also make them money"   according to the last census  i read   there is or WAS 300 million people in the US   so  $1 per customer would only be $300 million a month  x that by 12 = $3 billion  600 million a year   that much is all fine and dandy in the 1st year  u started a company cause u wouldn't have that many customers   right away unless ur using verizons towers and charging something like $40-$50 for unlimited everything  in which case  you'd have more than $3 billion 600 million  in the 1st year  if u advertised right

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Derek32880 wrote:

You could drop it to where you make $1 per customer, but the development will stop to exist as there is no overhead to progress forward. 

dropping it down to $1 per customer would be a stupid move   apparently you missed where i said  by offering prices that  people can afford  "yet  that will also make them money"   according to the last census  i read   there is or WAS 300 million people in the US   so  $1 per customer would only be $300 million a month  x that by 12 = $3 billion  600 million a year   that much is all fine and dandy in the 1st year  u started a company cause u wouldn't have that many customers   right away unless ur using verizons towers and charging something like $40-$50 for unlimited everything  in which case  you'd have more than $3 billion 600 million  in the 1st year  if u advertised right

By that math...  Do you know how much it would cost to maintain a network that large?  Do you know how much it would cost in workforce load?  That $1 per customer profit won't cover it and I am willing to bet the house on it.  It has been KNOWN for a long time currently carriers make a maximum of 33% gross profit on current plans.  Legacy plans are a lot less per line.  Net profit is much lower than gross as your probably know.  Look at T-Mobile and Sprint with their plans offer more for less, and try to expand to meet demands.  Well how are they fairing off...  We dictate the market carriers do not.  No matter what they charge we dictate what can and can't be done.

Also like to add $1 was an example.  At some point costs are going up to maintain structure.  If they keep the rates the same there would be no overhead, and there will be no money to progress to meet the needs of your customers.  These increases will hurt the carriers in turn at some point it'll drop to a number like $1 or less per  customer and as you said.... would be a stupid move...

0 Likes
Duogen
Enthusiast - Level 3

Would also like to chip in again.

That lowering the price of plans, will also halt the on going technological advanced phones you enjoy, as they would be unable to subside them, thus making you pay for them out right. Which is why they gave you the choice to keep your plan, but pay for your own phone.

0 Likes
179fps

Where I live I have two choices, either satellite or Verizon MiFi for internet access. For cellular service I have a number of options because I really don't need cellular service at my house because of the land line. I have a pay as you go cell line with Verizon that I probably spend <$20 per month on. My wife has a pay as you go plan with Virgin which costs us about $35/month. I offered to transfer my AT&T land line, my cell line as well as my wife's line in order to sign a two year contract with two smartphone data plans totaling about $160/month (vs the $55 Verizon is getting right now). The only thing I asked was to terminate the remaining 11 months of my $50/month MiFi account without penalty.

Verizon said that was not possible. For some reason upgrading from $65/month with 11 months left on a contract to $160/month with two years on a contract for $95 more per month was unacceptable.

Go figure. In the meantime, Virgin will get my smartphone business and Verizon will get no more than 11 months of my MiFi. Then I'm going to satellite. Now I see what you guys have been complaining about. I'm not even sure that they have an actual customer retention policy. Sure doesn't seem like it.

Bye.

0 Likes