Verizon Saleperson Lied to me, and now I'm suck....
Wraypau

I want to share my story so everyone knows how to better protect themselves from misleading customer sales persons of Verizon phone equipment.

Just over a month ago, there was a lot of buzz in the news about Verizon going to be changing their current plans. Not knowing what the new plans would be, my wife and I decided to go to the local Verizon store and check out what they had to say about the new plans. A caveat to this story is that my wife has a current Samsung S4, which was over her 2 year agreement. The phone was still like new, as it had literally been in a hard case its entire life. Anyways back to the story. So the Verizon salesperson told us that he was not able to discuss the new plans until after they were released, but he did know what they were going to be. The guy seemed like a genuine person who was looking out for my wife and I. Long story short, the guy explained that we could upgrade my wife's phone from her current S4 to the new S6, and it would cost us $27.16 per month for 24 months, but we were in luck, and if we acted before the new plan rollout, we would get a $25 discount, so we would only have to pay a  total of $2.16 per month for 24 months, so basically we could get this nice new phone (which we didn't need) for only $51.84 over the course of 24 months while paying $2.16 extra on my bill. I tried to explain to the guy that I wasn't in there to buy a new phone, but rather just info seeking to get an idea of what the plans were going to change to.

Needless to say, we decided to get the phone, because this guy assured us, it was the best thing to do. So before he sets the phone up, he goes and gets this huge contract on his tablet out. I started reading through the document, (he was only guy working at the moment, and he had 3 people behind us), so he said I can just explain this to you to speed things up. I said fine. He said that it would only be $2.16 more per month on my bill. I stopped him right there, thinking, this might be to good to be true, looked him straight in the face, and said so your telling me that my final bill will only be $2.16 more than it currently is for the next 24 months, and he said yes. So we bought the phone.

Fast forward to when I receive my first bill, 29 days after the exchange; my bill is now $182, where previously my bill was $146. In case you can't do math, which apparently Verizon cannot, that is a $36 difference, not a $2.16 difference. So I immediately called Verizon, and got a person from the customer service staff at Verizon. Of course, I had to explain what was going on 3 times, because the lady was not listening to me, but rather trying to get me to upgrade my current data package, or add a tablet. After explaining what happened to this lady multiple times, I was transferred to a manager.

The manager then proceeded to try and rework my current service and data package, to hide the inflated $36 cost, but in the end, she said that I was on the best plan for me at that time. I tried to explain that I didn't even need the phone, and I only bought the phone because the Verizon store salesperson said it would only be $2.16 and not $36. I said that our previous phones were fine and I just want to go back to using them. The customer service manager explained, since it has been more than 14 days, I cannot return the phone now, and am stuck with a 651.84 phone that I must pay for. I tried to explain that I called within an hour of receiving my bill, with 1 hour of knowing this unfortunate exchange, and that their 14 day return policy is for people who don't like their phone, or cant really afford it, or want to exchange for another. How am I supposed to know that my bill wasn't going to be what the VERIZON salesperson said it was, until I receive my first bill, which conveniently is past the 14 day return window?

I have been a Verizon customer for 16 years, since I first started driving. I have never been late on 1 payment, so I don't take to kindly to being lied to by a Verizon employee, unknowingly for a month until my bill gets here, then it is so sad, too bad, you missed the 14 day window. I just truly feel that this is not the way to treat customers, especially ones who have been with you for half their life. Let that sink in for a minute, I am 32, and have had Verizon service since I was 16, so half my life, I have been loyal to Verizon, never missed or been late on 1 payment, but because I was lied to, and didn't know it until after the 14 day window, I am crap out of luck.....

I know that I signed the contract, and ultimately, there is really nothing I can do about it. Both Verizon customer support (original lady) and manager said they agree with me, that they would be upset if this happened to them. Unfortunately, both said that there is just nothing that they can do since it is past the 14 day window.

Here is what really bothers me, I know there is someone at Verizon who can say, "Hey, this guy has been with us for 16 years, and is a good customer. We have made plenty of money on him, and if it takes us taking this phone back past the 14 day window, then so be it, we want him as a customer for another 16 years". I mean, think about it, if you go to a restaurant, and have a horrible experience, there is always someone there who will say, let me cook you another plate, or let me comp you appetizers, or your meal is on the house. This is just an example, but in every business, there is always someone who can make things right, why is it I cannot speak to that person in Verizon. I am sure, a person of that stature, would want to know what the low on the totem pole employees are saying or doing. I mean, ultimately, their careers and retirements are dependent on customers continuing to do business with them. This goes for all businesses, why is Verizon different.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Saleperson Lied to me, and now I'm suck....
Snn5
Legend

There is a lot going on here that you didn't know about, that you could have found out on personal research of your own.  This isn't a slam, just an observation.  Maybe I can explain a portion of this.

You don't say what plan you were on previously nor the charges associated with that plan.  The More Everything plans had monthly access charges of $40 per line.  The out of contract prices were less depending on your data allotment such as $15 a month for 6GB and up and $25 a month on 4GB and less INSTEAD of $40.  So, in this instance, being out of contract could have saved you $15 or $25 a month, but this was a change that the customer had to make to their plan manually in My Verizon.

Now, with her getting a new phone, and I'm thinking you used Edge plus More Everything, that previously mentioned line discount comes into play.  On Edge device payments the line access is reduced to $15 or $25 depending on the data package.  What this means is, the salesperson took the cost of the line charge and subtracted it from the phone's monthly payments.  I figure that you were on a 6GB or higher data plan which would give that $25 discount, subtract that from the $27.16 and you have $2.16.

The newer plans don't have all this number shifting and are much more straightforward.

0 Likes
Wraypau

Yes, this is what I think happened. We have 2 phones on the plan, and my wife's phone was past her 2 year contract, so she was getting a $25.00 discount. The salesman, was using that as the $25.00 discount taking the $27.16 price down to $2.16.

I understand that now, as the Verizon customer service manager explained to me yesterday. What makes me so mad, is that this was not explained to me at the store when we signed the contract. As I stated previously, I looked the guy straight in his face, and asked him, "So your telling me that my FINAL BILL will be $2.16 more than it currently is", and he said yes. I told him that seemed to good to be true, and he said it was true, but I had to act before the new plan changes took effect. (If you recall, the whole reason I went to the store, was not because we needed a new phone, but because of the recent news about Verizon plan changes, and I wanted to inquire about them).

I feel like the salesman was totally dishonest, because he straight up told me that it would be an extra $2.16 on my final bill, but now it is $36. My wife didn't need a new phone, didn't really want one. The guy said that we could get the new phone for a total of $51.84 spread out over 24 months at $2.16 per month, and that we could sell her old phone for $200 easily. He said this is a no brainer, why would you not want a new phone, with a better camera, better screen, a not stressed battery, etc, and basically make money to do it.

This is exactly why I said this seems to good to be true, but the guy repeatedly reassured me that it would only be $2.16 extra on my final bill. So I took his word for it, and now, I am paying an extra $36 per month.

What makes this even worse, is that I did not know this, until my next bill came in, which conveniently, is past the 14 day window. I just want to give the phone back, and go back to my previous plan and price point. There is no way for me to know that what the Verizon representative told me was inaccurate, until I get my bill.

I honestly feel that Verizon should honor what their representative told me, and increase my bill for $2.16, which I was under the impression was the case. I know this is not going to happen, and don't really even consider it an option. However, I feel that if they cannot honor what their representative told me, then they should refund the phone, and put me back on my previous phone and plan.

How in the world, is it fair, that I was mislead, lied to my face by a company representative, and the company will not even void the transaction.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Basically, and this sounds bad, but they will say that you signed the agreement knowing and understanding everything involved.  But, because the salesperson "summed it up" instead of going line by line, you didn't read the whole contract.  That's what they will say, and to add, they will tack on this line from the agreement for posterity:

This agreement and the documents it incorporates form the entire agreement between us. You can't rely on any other documents, or on what's said by any Sales or Customer Service Representatives, and you have no other rights regarding Service or this agreement.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm not certain he intentionally lied to you. A current discount is hard to find if he doesn't look over your current plan with a fine tooth comb; which they don't.

I'm fairly certain they see what you'd see on your bill if you logged in online, which is a $40 line access fee and then a discount mentioned somewhere else and only taken off the final bill. He probably saw the $40 line access fee and not the month2month discount you were already getting.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I hear you.   The salesperson was just reiterating what he says all day for people that are on contract. He didn't care to look that you were already getting that $25 discount for being out of contract.  Likey carelessness or poor math skills (can't count the same $25 twice) than outright dishonesty. 

I Learned long ago, don't ever go to sales for buying advice, it's never in your favor when the more he sells the more he makes.  Research, come on this forum and ask questions, and know exactly what you want before you even go in to a store.  Works great for appliances, cars, phones, really everything.  Sales is never your advocate.  And always listen to you "this is too good to be true" warning vibes. 

You wont get the phone for $52.  You may get a one time credit if you keep complaining.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it is important to set the right expectations Wraypau and it saddens me that you feel this way.I am sure I can get to the bottom of this. I have sent you a private message so I can further help.

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Wraypau

I received your PM Amber. thanks for the help. However, I am kind of shocked that you are asking for my name, number, password, and last 4 of social. Is there a way to verify your credentials before I proceed? thanks!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If you got the message in the message in box on this site and the username ends in _VZW, it is a Verizon rep. If someone else tried to create a username with _VZW to trick you into thinking they were with Verizon, it would be blocked.

As long as the communication is all on this site and the _VZW and Verizon Customer Support is there, you are ok.

Wraypau

Thanks Weth.

0 Likes