Verizon Privacy Concern Information Breach
GAMMAZ
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to share my experience with Verizon so that no one else will have this happen to them. This is a serious problem that so many people are unaware of about Verizon.

I’m a public figure and my privacy is very important to me. I found out

that a fan just walked into a Verizon store and asked for information on my account. Verizon asked for a pin so that they could get the information but the fan did not have that. A couple of weeks and a couple of smiles later she got all the information she needed; telephone numbers, address, and everything else.

Now that sounds like it’s a rare case that doesn’t happen. I called Verizon and told them about it. They told me it's absolutely not uncommon at all and it isn’t a big deal that they can do that if they want. Escalated it up to corporate. I was told the same thing. Your information isn’t secure, they can give it to anybody they want to as a courtesy. They were supposed to ask for a pin but it doesn’t mean that they need to have the pin. They told me, for my inconvenience, they can give me a $10 credit.

Obviously this is a massive concern. People’s information is given out and it’s okay for anybody to get information who wants it. That is not okay. There’s so many things that are wrong with that. I also work with battered women and where their location, information, and everything about their account needs to be secret. You can only see how that works.

Since then, I’ve talked to other phone networks. Everyone of them said

they absolutely do not allow anyone’s information out, no excuses.

I even went to their corporate to ask the same thing. They told me under no

circumstances would we give anyone’s information out. Privacy can be the difference of life and death with people.

In fact, everyone I called, except Verizon Wireless, told me it was absolutely unacceptable but when I called Verizon that was not the case.

I’ve also filed a lawsuit against them. Again, was told "I don’t know why you’re filing a lawsuit against us. We're allowed to give out your information to anybody who wants it."

The lawsuit is still pending.

I will be switching my service from them.

Something to consider with having service through Verizon, they charge the most, and your personal information means zero to them. That's a very dangerous position to be in. The information that you give them needs to be secure.

Verizon needs to know that you have to treat people like people, not just another tool to make money, and who cares about people’s security. People will eventually stand up and fight back.

Do you hear us now.

Labels (1)