Re: Verizon - Please get with the program and do something about the endless caller ID spoofing that is happening
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

WOW - You mean I can block up 20 phone numbers. Astounding job Verizon!
So for an exchange that spammers are using on me  720-3xx that amounts to 99,999 phone numbers, of which I can block 20.

How do you guys look at yourselves in the mirror?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon - Please get with the program and do something about the endless caller ID spoofing that is happening
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Spoofing is when spammers / robocallers will change the actual phone number they call from and insert a fake phone number that appears on your caller ID display. This is done so that the victim (i.e. Verizon Customer) thinks the call is coming from someone in their local area, and you are more prone to pick up the call.

If the internet was this sloppy there would be no security on the internet. But somehow cell phone companies seem perfectly ok with the lack of security in their network.

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon could very well implement Caller ID authentication,. They choose not to bother. The FCC has designed and proposed a system of caller ID authentication which would make it impossible to ""spoof" or lie about the number from which you are calling. The protocol is called SHAKEN/STIR. Here is the FCC Webpage for the protocol (That Verizon doesn't seem to want to spend money on implementing)

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Any call where the Caller ID does not match the originating circuit phone number would be instantly blocked - basically KILLING the robocall industry.

I disagree with your assertion that Verizon is in the business of "connecting calls"! How about
"VERIZON SHOULD BE IN THE BUSINESS OF CONNECTING LEGITIMATE CALLS" - since they have exclusive access to their network - only Verizon can authenticate a legitimate call as opposed to a robocall.

AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't know Verizon hires trolls.

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is Verizon's response to the FCC's DEMAND that cell carriers take action to block spam and robocalls from Joseph Russo Vice President of Operations.

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1119062987519/2018%2011%2019%20Verizon%20Call%20Authentication%20Framew...

He claims that Verizon's networks are "SHAKN/STIR" protocol ready, (Ready?) yet after 2-3 years Verizon has decided that their ineffectual spam call blocker meets the FCC demand for anti-spam protocol. I.E. Why spend money if you don't have to? 

Stop the lies Verizon and do your job!

0 Likes