Verizon - Please get with the program and do something about the endless caller ID spoofing that is happening
BRUNEW40
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am getting 20+ calls per day from scammers spoofing (619) 985-xxxx numbers.  I'm also getting calls from people claiming that I called them.  There seems to be ample evidence of spoofing yet Verizon does nothing.  Verizon, people are getting tired of this.  I use my cell for business and I've had the same number for 20+ years.  Please offer some tangible options to stop this [removed] .

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Verizon - Please get with the program and do something about the endless caller ID spoofing that is happening
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for an inconvenience as we do value your satisfaction and your privacy. We do offer the ability to setup Call and Message Block to block up to 5 numbers free of charge if there are a select few calling. http://vz.to/MqEgqB. Also FamilyBase at http://ww.vzw.com/familybase offers blocks for restricted calls and up to 20 custom entries. I understand your concern as we take fraud, spamming and spoofing seriously. I apologize as we do not have the ability to add an overall block for these types of calls. 

-YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

http://vz.to/MqEgqB

0 Likes
Re: Verizon - Please get with the program and do something about the endless caller ID spoofing that is happening
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

We get calls all the time that they say we called them and we never have. May I ask what is Spoofing ?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Spoofing and Caller ID | Federal Communications Commission

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Thanks Ann154 I have had it done on my phone  but never knew that is what they called it

0 Likes
BRUNEW40
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ann,

Thank you for replying to Kathy with some good links.  The must frustrating thing about this is the service providers (such as Verizon) really don't care if your number has been spoofed.  Anyone can get spoofing software and use it to call any other number and show a false number on caller ID.  As a user, we are really powerless to stop this other than never answering any number that you don't recognize.  Eventually the scammers will move on....

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

How is Verizon supposed to know that an incoming call is one that you actually want or don't want? If they start blocking calls and one that you WANT is not able to get through, you'd be mad, right?

Verizon isn't in the business of blocking calls. They are in the business of connecting calls. When they start doing things to prevent calls from getting to you they are no longer doing what they are supposed to.

Check the app store on your phone. There are good apps available to block spam calls. Also, stop putting your number on websites. This is the biggest way your number gets passed around and you get on these lists. I never give my number out and hardly ever get any of these types of calls. I was getting them daily for about 2 weeks and I selected the remove option and they have died down. That's another option. Select to be removed whenever you get these calls.

0 Likes
DEANNE54
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is a growing problem.  VZ's reply about using selective call blocking to block one number at a time is not helpful.  Spammers will just use other spoofed  numbers.

Time Warner/Spectrum now offers blocking of spoofed caller id calls on our home line.  They also offer NoMoRobo to block robot calls.  Hopefully VZ will invest in technology to do the same with cell phone calls.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The difference between the Spectrum and Verizon Wireless is the fact Spectrum is a landline based service. Verizon Wireless is not.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have determined that ALL robocalls I receive are coming from the Denver Exchange 720-3xx-xxxx.

How can I block ALL calls from 720-3xx ? Otherwise I have to block up to 99,000 phone numbers.

It would be a great feature to your "so called" anti spam program to be able to filter a range of phone numbers!

I don't know what it is about the Denver 720-3xx exchange that spammers keep spoofing that range of phone numbers. Is that exchange a reserved list of phone numbers?

Anyway, I'm disappointed in Verizon's anti-spam feature you rolled out this year. Your spam filter traps about 1 in 50 robocalls.

0 Likes