Verizon Early Edge up plan is a joke!
jcc48197

So I am trying to order the new Galaxy S6 phone and I am eligible for the early edge program. I currently own my S4 phone under the 2 yr agreement and I have been told a few times in the store that I would have to turn in my S4 (for free!) in order to be able to get the S6. However, Verizon is currently offering a $150 trade credit for the S4 that expires on May 17. My upgrade date is May 18th! I will not turn in my phone for free when I can at least get $150 trade in or more on Ebay. I am willing to do the Edge plan as long as I get the trade in credit. I had bought my S4 on day 1 and I know that there are a lot of people in the same boat.

Another interesting note, in the FAQ for the Edge, item 9 mentions that if the Edge device is 100% paid off, you can trade it in and use the trade in value towards a new device. So why doesn't this apply to a existing 2yr agreement going to the Edge plan?

I am not a happy Verizon customer.

Verizon Edge FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Early Edge up plan is a joke!
veryfrustrated0118
Enthusiast - Level 3

The simple answer is that you are NOT eligible for an upgrade because you didn't complete your 2 year contract.

The long answer is that  you are NOT eligible for an upgrade because you didn't complete your 2 year contract and VZW is allowing you out of that contract early if you opt for the Edge plan. You see, until the contract is over the S4 that you use does not belong to you. What you are asking for is Verizon to subsidize your S4. You paid $200 for it (or less if you got it on sale) and VZW paid $400 (or more if you paid less). In exchange for this discounted price you signed a 2 year agreement that you would keep VZW's service for 2 years or pay the ETF if you cancelled service before the agreement was completed. When you purchased this device the Edge plan was available but I digress. Now you are asking VZW to let you out of the original 2 year service agreement with not ETF and allow you to keep the device AND give you $150 credit for it? What kind of sense does that make. Either complete your contract and jump on the Edge program then OR take what Verizon is offering.

0 Likes
jcc48197

Then why offer the Early Edge up program to 2 yr agreement purchasers then? They want me to turn in a $150 phone (by their calculation) for nothing 1 month early. The Edge plan was not available 2 years ago when I bought it. Also, how convenient that the trade in offer expires 1 day before my upgrade date.

0 Likes
veryfrustrated0118
Enthusiast - Level 3

Edge began in August of 2012. It certainly was available. This high trade in credit is most likely due to the release of the GS6 and is a promotion. As with all promotions it does have an end date. I highly doubt that someone at VZW has looked your specific upgrade date and decided to end the promotion so that you couldn't take advantage of it. In your specific case upgrading to the Early Edge isn't the best option but for someone like me who has 2 lines on the account almost a year away from upgrade is a good option. However, the program certainly isn't a joke.

jcc48197

I qualify for the Early Edge up (which is also available if you paid 75% of the Edge device) even though I am in a 2 year agreement. My point is why offer it to a 2 year agreement user when I have a month to go? Of course I would want the trade in credit in addition to it. Asking to roll me over to a new plan (btw I just added a line last week) shouldnt be a big deal. Also my point about the upgrade date is that there are a lot of people who bought the phone on day 1 and is in my same situation. Verizon knew what it was doing when they set the promotion end date of 5/17. If I wait to the 18th to renew, my phone would likely go for less than $150 on ebay since everyone else would be selling theirs.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, there is Edge, there is Early Edge and there is Edge Up. There is no Early Edge Up.

Edge is for anyone who currently is not paying off a phone purchased on Edge or for anyone who is not currently under a 2yr service contract.

Early Edge is ONLY for customers currently under a 2 yr service contract. Yes you may be eligible, but one of the restrictions of this program is that you return your phone purchased on contract in good working order. If you don't want to return your phone, simply don't enter into this Early Edge agreement.

Edge Up is ONLY for customers currently in an Edge agreement and have not yet completed all of their payments. Depending on when a customer enter into the Edge agreement, they would have to complete 50%, 60% or 75% of their payments before becoming eligible. A customer can make a lump sum payment to bring their status up to the 50%, 60% or 75% level at any time after 30 days from entering into an Edge agreement.

jcc48197 wrote:

So I am trying to order the new Galaxy S6 phone and I am eligible for the early edge program. I currently own my S4 phone under the 2 yr agreement and I have been told a few times in the store that I would have to turn in my S4 (for free!) in order to be able to get the S6. However, Verizon is currently offering a $150 trade credit for the S4 that expires on May 17. My upgrade date is May 18th! I will not turn in my phone for free when I can at least get $150 trade in or more on Ebay. I am willing to do the Edge plan as long as I get the trade in credit. I had bought my S4 on day 1 and I know that there are a lot of people in the same boat.

You are not turning in your S4(for free!) when entering into an Early Edge agreement. You are turning it in to qualify for Edge BEFORE completing your contract(i.e. Early Edge). You don't want to do so, you won't qualify. As to you qualifying for the $150 trade-in credit for the S4 which expires on May 17, you would not be eligible for this because you don't complete your contract until after the offer expires. It is possible the offer would be extended, though. It appears you would have to wait until May 18th to enter into an Edge agreement and sell your S4 on Ebay to recoup some of the cost of the Edge plan.

Weth
Legend

jcc48197 wrote:

My point is why offer it to a 2 year agreement user when I have a month to go?

Just because it is offered doesn't mean you must take it. If it doesn't make financial sense (and it really never makes financial sense to upgrade early), then don't do it.