Verizon EDGE - Why do I need to trade in my old phone?
bricolage

I'm not expecting this question to be answered, and this might have been discussed before, but I just need to vent my frustration with Verizon.

After T-Mobile introduced their JUMP program, Verizon did a "me too" and offered EDGE. However, their phone subsidies are still included in the bill (unlike T-Mobile) and you need to trade in your old phone to get a new one via EDGE. What's the point of trading in your old phone if you're paying full price for the new one (over time)?

Also - My contract is now up and if I choose not to do a 2-year extension to get a discounted phone, it would make sense for me to get some sort of discount toward EDGE's monthly payments ($10 off a month, or something like that).

In any case, my old phone has a crack on it and Verizon won't accept it toward EDGE. When I brought it to the store the guy said that I should replace my screen and THEN bring it back in. Right, so I'll pay $100 to repair my screen and then Verizon can make money selling it as refurbished AND charge me a full price for a new one via EDGE.

JUST SAYING.

Andrew

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon EDGE - Why do I need to trade in my old phone?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

What kind of phone do you have? There is no need to trade in your old phone to get on Edge if you are not under contract. Verizon sometimes did have special promotion for customers who may be in contract with a 3G smartphone or an older 4G phone. This special promotion required trading in the phone that they had because it was technically still under subsidy and the Edge program would give those customers the chance to "upgrade" before their actual date. However, if you are out of contract trading in your phone is NOT necessary. You have already fulfilled your obligation for that device. If you have an iPhone the rep was trying to get you to trade it in towards accessories for the new phone. They  work on commission and this is how they make a huge portion of the sales goal. I know most people don't care about that but a common misconception is that these reps make their money on the phones they sell which does NOT help them. If you are going to buy your phone from a corporate store you should get something else with it.

On to The Edge program. True this program is following suit with T-Mobile's plan. There are some differences. To be on TMo's Jump you are charged your monthly service fee (say $80), then you are charged your monthly fee for the phone (depends on the full price of the phone but say $27 average) which does not include any down payment. TMo also charges you $10 (mandatory) Jump fee. Yes this includes $8 for the insurance but there is still a $2 surcharge to be on the program. With VZW Edge your monthly service fee and your Edge payment. This is calculated by taking the full cost of your device and dividing it by 24. At the time of purchase there is no down payment. You only pay the tax on the full cost of the phone and the first Edge payment. I would opt for the insurance because if you would like to get a new phone before the 24 months is up that phone CANNOT be damaged in any way. With Edge you must complete 30 days with the device and 50% of the full cost of the device and you can change it. For all intents and purposes, Edge is like a lease. You pay monthly and can get out if when you meet the requirements. So, if you like to change to the newest devices or have more freedom this program is where it's at.

0 Likes